BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Deadline Day 2022

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

A few people reporting that we had money to spend, but we didn’t. If that’s the case, why did Mowbray say what he did about reinvesting money from Rothwell?

Is he given a budget to spend as he sees fit? Was he given transfer funds but not a wage budget to go with it? Does the budget only stretch to players Venky’s personally approve? Why does it take forever for us to finalise deals?

Something doesn’t add up. It’s too easy to blame it on Mowbray/Waggott’s incompetence, if they were that bad surely something would’ve been done about it by now. We are in far better shape on the pitch than off it.

That's how I see it too. Something doesn't add up. Mowbray's words the other day made it sound like the sale of Rothwell was needed to bring in a couple of new signings. Now we are hearing that we had a bid accepted for Dembele.

I would like to know how much Bournemouth paid for Dembele as the Posh chairman was saying the other day that he won't be leaving for less than £5m. Are we saying that we bid £5m for him yesterday? Even if that wasn't the fee in the end, it's clear that a certain amount of money was made available to spend on Dembele. Is it a case of the owners only making funds available if they like the player or the idea themselves? What happened with this Dembele money once he chose to sign for Bournemouth?

It leaves me questioning what the true position was. It's a bit of a jump to go from the "Rothwell money can be reinvested" to now having offers in for players and playing the hard luck story. We have heard similar in past windows too I.e. "we had offers in for players but it's very difficult" etc.

One thing is for sure, the negotiators at Rovers aren't good enough. It took ages to seal one loan deal yesterday. Leaving signings until the last minute to save a few quid is one thing, but then factor in that we've got Waggott and Venus trying to seal deals in a race against the clock. No wonder we are often left disappointed on deadline day.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

When Butterworth has been on the pitch we may as well have been down to 10 men. His performance against Middlesbrough was appalling, he didn’t break out of a jog. Deadwood. Glad to see him gone. Hopefully he can sharpen up on loan.

That’s not really the point though, he has been used as a backup goalscorer. We all know he hasn’t scored a single goal but that’s what he’s on the pitch for. If he goes you should be bringing in a replacement. If we were mid table i probably wouldn’t care but it’s daft to rely on Brereton in the position we are in. Clearly there was a lack of care about the auto promotion spot when new players were being considered.

We’ve got an excellent player in Giles with his ability at set pieces and assists, let’s hope Brereton can stay fit and score another 10-15 goals 🥺

27 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

A few people reporting that we had money to spend, but we didn’t. If that’s the case, why did Mowbray say what he did about reinvesting money from Rothwell?

Is he given a budget to spend as he sees fit? Was he given transfer funds but not a wage budget to go with it? Does the budget only stretch to players Venky’s personally approve? Why does it take forever for us to finalise deals?

Something doesn’t add up. It’s too easy to blame it on Mowbray/Waggott’s incompetence, if they were that bad surely something would’ve been done about it by now. We are in far better shape on the pitch than off it.

I don't think there is any money unless certain strict criteria are met. I also believe that Mowbray's power and influence have been reduced over the last 12-18 months in terms of flexibility on players - previously he had the ability to bring in established experienced players, often ones he had encountered previously, whereas recently they have been younger players with seemingly no link to him. We have seen fees paid out in the last few windows on Pickering, Edun, Markandy - but these fees are generally only very small and all are done with high confidence that the outlay will be covered quickly.

All in all not a bad way to do business as ideally all transfers would grow in value but it places severe limitations on what can be done. It is clear there has been a shift in policy.

I think Mowbray says a lot but a lot of it turns out to be grossly exaggerated or simply doesn't happen. I don't really blame him for that as there are so many components and cogs turning that him saying one thing one week and then a short time later things have changed.

The days of him getting multi-millions to invest in a Gallagher, Brereton or Armstrong seem to have gone, replaced by a focus on loans and a few hundred grand deals here and there.

In my view that change sits directly with the inability of Mowbray to head off to India and sit around a table with the head honchos,  losing his direct line to them and instead having to deal through Pasha who by most accounts is a Balaji man.

Mowbray himself has admitted that communications have changed and that they have been difficult at times.

No coicidence that the only 3 managers to last under Venkys - Kean, Bowyer and Mowbray - early on in their times jumped on a plane to Pune - it not only secures their position but also is the best, perhaps only, way of getting approval on significant backing. Back in the days of Kean we thought it bizarre that he would put himself through that difficult journey several times a year and wondered why it was so important to keep them sweet in Pune. I think we can see now why he did that.

• Like 3

Our starting XI 'should' be very strong Saturday.

TK

Nyambe Lenihan JP Scott Giles

Rothwell Travis

Khadra Buckley BBD

The bench though... yikes.

Pears

Ayala

Zeefuik

Davenport

Johnson

JRC

???

Is anyone else actually fit for that last spot?

Let's hope we don't need a goal!

Edit: Forgot about Hedges

Edited by Mellor Rover

I watched a piece with Paul Merson yesterday.

He said he is ashamed to admit it, but he went Middlesbrough because it was unbelievable money. He said he did okay there, but afterwards he always thought what if? As arsenal were completing a domestic double.

The money the player recieves usually decides transfers, more than the fee.

Most players want the most they can get, the weekly wage, the win bonuses, the goal bonuses, promotion/title incentives, player/rights revenues, pay increases on promotion, no decrease on relegation, release clauses. 

There is far more to getting a player than just having the bid accepted. As well documented during the Anderson Era, deals can fall apart when the agent wants more than the transfer fee.

We like every club have a ceiling, and every other player at our club, has a contract which has to be considered when setting this ceiling.

Bums on seat, better commercial deals, success on and off the pitch, will always dictate what can and cannot get spent.

We've been burnt with so many big contracts to players not part of the plans going forwards, that this new approach is here to stay.

• Like 3

I think we’ve made 3 top signings in this window in Giles, Zeefuik and Markanday. It’s unfortunate Markanday has been injured though. I don’t know much about Hedges so will reserve judgment until I see more of him.

Did any club make better signings than us? Bournemouth, Stoke and Boro are the only ones that have arguably had better windows.

• Backroom

Snodgrass has been on pretty high wages wherever he's been, hasn't he? I don't know if we'd be able to come close on terms. He has also left clubs more than once for supposedly being a disruptive influence, and with our current team spirit I'd rather avoid something like that.

17 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Our starting XI 'should' be very strong Saturday.

TK

Nyambe Lenihan JP Scott Giles

Rothwell Travis

Khadra Buckley BBD

The bench though... yikes.

Pears

Ayala

Zeefuik

Davenport

Johnson

JRC

???

Is anyone else actually fit for that last spot?

Let's hope we don't need a goal!

Edit: Forgot about Hedges

Pears aside I don't think that's too bad a bench. With Giles' delivery, if we need a goal late in the game we throw the big fella up front. Johnson also has a goal in him. Main thing for us is to continue to keep it very tight at the back - we won't need too many goals then. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miker said:

I think we’ve made 3 top signings in this window in Giles, Zeefuik and Markanday. It’s unfortunate Markanday has been injured though. I don’t know much about Hedges so will reserve judgment until I see more of him.

Did any club make better signings than us? Bournemouth, Stoke and Boro are the only ones that have arguably had better windows.

Any significant absence for Brererton between now and the end of the season - potentially 23 matches including internationals - and its over. Failure to sign any striker with a physical presence shows a total lack of ambition and commonsense. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Unlike some I'm not too concerned with us not adding an attacker. I'm quite pleased with our recruitment this window. There is one glaring hole in my opinion though and that is centre midfield. We desperately needed another body in there. The drop off down to Bradley Johnson is enormous. 

Anybody know if Giles can play in there once Pickering is back?

Wing back is Giles's main position, but can definitely play centre midfield. 

• Like 2

Just hope that this is not a replica of the 1980/81 season when virtually the only goal-provider in the squad, Noel Brotherston got a season-ending injury 2 days after the transfer deadline. In the remaining matches there were numerous 0-0  results and Rovers missed on promotion by a single point. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, alcd said:

Just hope that this is not a replica of the 1980/81 season when virtually the only goal-provider in the squad, Noel Brotherston got a season-ending injury 2 days after the transfer deadline. In the remaining matches there were numerous 0-0  results and Rovers missed on promotion by a single point. 

Oh boy, now you've done it...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, alcd said:

It’s like that season when we sent all our reserve centre halves out on loan and then needed them immediately.

46 minutes ago, alcd said:

Any significant absence for Brererton between now and the end of the season - potentially 23 matches including internationals - and its over. Failure to sign any striker with a physical presence shows a total lack of ambition and commonsense. 

We don’t tend to play with out and out strikers, they’re more advanced forwards. Dolan, Khadra, Gallagher, Brereton and Hedges can all play there. We don’t necessarily need another conventional number 9. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, DE. said:

Snodgrass has been on pretty high wages wherever he's been, hasn't he? I don't know if we'd be able to come close on terms. He has also left clubs more than once for supposedly being a disruptive influence, and with our current team spirit I'd rather avoid something like that.

He’s earning fuck all at the moment though. Weirdly I still think Jack Wiltshire ‘could’ be a better option if he’s still got the desire to prove something.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I don't think there is any money unless certain strict criteria are met. I also believe that Mowbray's power and influence have been reduced over the last 12-18 months in terms of flexibility on players - previously he had the ability to bring in established experienced players, often ones he had encountered previously, whereas recently they have been younger players with seemingly no link to him. We have seen fees paid out in the last few windows on Pickering, Edun, Markandy - but these fees are generally only very small and all are done with high confidence that the outlay will be covered quickly.

All in all not a bad way to do business as ideally all transfers would grow in value but it places severe limitations on what can be done. It is clear there has been a shift in policy.

I think Mowbray says a lot but a lot of it turns out to be grossly exaggerated or simply doesn't happen. I don't really blame him for that as there are so many components and cogs turning that him saying one thing one week and then a short time later things have changed.

The days of him getting multi-millions to invest in a Gallagher, Brereton or Armstrong seem to have gone, replaced by a focus on loans and a few hundred grand deals here and there.

In my view that change sits directly with the inability of Mowbray to head off to India and sit around a table with the head honchos,  losing his direct line to them and instead having to deal through Pasha who by most accounts is a Balaji man.

Mowbray himself has admitted that communications have changed and that they have been difficult at times.

No coicidence that the only 3 managers to last under Venkys - Kean, Bowyer and Mowbray - early on in their times jumped on a plane to Pune - it not only secures their position but also is the best, perhaps only, way of getting approval on significant backing. Back in the days of Kean we thought it bizarre that he would put himself through that difficult journey several times a year and wondered why it was so important to keep them sweet in Pune. I think we can see now why he did that.

The shift from signings connected to TM to ones who aren't has more to do, I think, with our lack of a scouting network worth the name when he arrived. Not that we have stopped with the old boys network...Pears.

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

I watched a piece with Paul Merson yesterday.

He said he is ashamed to admit it, but he went Middlesbrough because it was unbelievable money. He said he did okay there, but afterwards he always thought what if? As arsenal were completing a domestic double.

The money the player recieves usually decides transfers, more than the fee.

Most players want the most they can get, the weekly wage, the win bonuses, the goal bonuses, promotion/title incentives, player/rights revenues, pay increases on promotion, no decrease on relegation, release clauses. 

There is far more to getting a player than just having the bid accepted. As well documented during the Anderson Era, deals can fall apart when the agent wants more than the transfer fee.

We like every club have a ceiling, and every other player at our club, has a contract which has to be considered when setting this ceiling.

Bums on seat, better commercial deals, success on and off the pitch, will always dictate what can and cannot get spent.

We've been burnt with so many big contracts to players not part of the plans going forwards, that this new approach is here to stay.

So we won't be offering Diego Costa 100k a week?

• Like 2