BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Utd (a) - 23/2/22 - Match Preview

1 minute ago, starscascade said:

Got my head around this one (bitter as it was) but I have some relief….

Keep reading…

It’s not 1992 but we just qualified for the playoffs (6th place) and went on a 6 game death spiral of 6 straight defeats in March 1992.

We can do this! 

yes mate,but it was kenny dalglish,he did`nt panic and did`nt start playing everyone out of position,if i remember correctly did`nt newell get injured and it started the horrible run,bit like big ben this season,mowbray,unlike kenny tony has **** himself and failed to sign a back up centre forward

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We have a chance, I dont think we will make the play offs personally but I think our chances would decrease further with the disruption of removing the manager who has done brillliantly to get us to 5th at this insane point in the season.

Everything about that is so depressing.

Getting to 5th midseason isn't brilliant, it's a half-baked cake.
We have a squad that - although the culmination of 5 years of "progress" - isn't actually good enough to get into the playoffs and is being propped up by Mowbray? The man who couldn't get a side good enough to finish in the playoffs, into the top half?

It's so obvious that the extra points in Nov/Dec were flukey, we happened upon a system that worked a bit better than last year's. We always do well in Nov/Dec under TM. We had a chance to take advantage of it, failed in the Jan window (again), and are in our standard "we've been figured out" post Jan slump (again), supplemented by the usual injuries we couldn't foresee. AGAIN. Fool me once and all that.

It will be the same next year, but with even lesser players, fewer points and probably the same manager in the dugout. Just a couple of hundred fewer in the stands clapping along. Tony Mowbray's Blue 'n' White Army.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think we have a limited squad full of graduates and loanees. Mowbray has done well to get it this high, lets hope we can squeeze into the top 6.

That's why I wouldn't renew his contract.

Look at the best players in the team - Nyambe, Wharton, Travis, Buckley (and begrudgingly Lenihan this year). All Academy graduates. 

Mowbray has been gifted half a good Championship XI for free and he's not been able to consistently build on it. In fact he's lead the charge to downgrade our Academy - madness. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Don’t bite Jim, he spends all match watching his face player Gally and not where the ball is. 

From the comfort of his armchair while slagging off people who don't attend matches

Anyway, back to Sam Gallagher and his running abilities. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I'm sick of seeing people holding up the Spurs lads injury as a reason we've no striker. It's as daft as the 'we'd have made the play offs with Dack' myth the other year.

We signed 4 squaddies again this Jan and not one of them has had any impact. The chance was there to put this window to better use but they just used it to fill out the squad.

Yep. And let’s not forget either, that we still had 11 days to replace the (untested) kid, even if he was brought into play up top.

I’m even more fuming with our January business then I am this death spiral as the latter was so damn predictable that I’d at least prepared myself.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Since Sky showed an interest, for their customers’ viewing pleasure we’ve scored one goal in six live on TV. Conceded six mind. Two more to come in QPR and Fulham and then I hope they bugger off again for quite some time.

And don’t they just bloody love it. Why do Sky(and refs) hate us so much? 

1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep. And let’s not forget either, that we still had 11 days to replace the (untested) kid, even if he was brought into play up top.

I’m even more fuming with our January business then I am this death spiral as the latter was so damn predictable that I’d at least prepared myself.

He does it every time, half a dozen squad fillers who are no better than what we already have instead of a couple of players who are really going to make a difference.

• Like 2

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Unforgivable....

And you didn't need to be Nostradamus to see what was going to happen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The game where our keeper threw two into his own net?

It was the turning point for the season. But everyone said it didn’t matter coz it’s the cup. But in reality it bloody did matter! Let’s hope there’s a turning point for the better! We’ve got time! No effing strikers but let’s go at it

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

He was backed to bring 4 players in in January, that doesn't happen here very often.  Might as well have brought non in for the good its done so far.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Mowbray would have had Speedie and Newell stood near the corner flags, only entering the opposition box on the rarest of occasions and Paul Shepstone as a false 9.

scott sellars would`nt have got a sniff,far to good at getting quality balls in the box for tony`s liking and alan wright darting down the wing on the overlap,what a flighty piece of work,completely unneccesary

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If you're playing Dolan he has to play as the False 9. His energy causes problems there - he harries defenders and he's quick enough to turn Championship CBs. 

When did you last see Dolan turn a centre-back, and keep the ball?

He's full of energy, but zero composure. 

Khadra is marginally better, and that's why he's playing. 

Neither have composure when it matters, tho Khadra had no luck tonight.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, starscascade said:

It was the turning point for the season. But everyone said it didn’t matter coz it’s the cup. But in reality it bloody did matter! Let’s hope there’s a turning point for the better! We’ve got time! No effing strikers but let’s go at it

Yep,  Wigan and the January window debacle felt like turning points at the time - and so it's been proved. 

The worst thing is fans saying someone else has to "step up and score" when we clearly haven't the players who can do it.

Brereton's been great but a loss of form or injury was always likely, and there's no one else. 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

I worded it poorly but the impact of Hedges will, for me, greatly affect Mowbray's reputation in the transfer market and, even, as a manager. It was not just any signing but, in the event of Markanday's unfortunate injury, the major January signing for our historic promotion push.

WellI gave it as my opinion before we signed him that he isn't really very good. You could argue he hasn't had a chance to show what he can do but then why sign him in the middle of a promotion push if he doesn't play him?

Mowbray's reputation in the transfer market has not been enhanced by he signing of Hedges.

• Like 4