BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Shane Warne

10 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

What a player.

It’s incredible to think that he once played for Accrington CC as the overseas player!

R.I.P

The Lancashire league was the place to come at one point. 
Alan Border and Warne both played for East Lancs I believe, Viv Richards played for Rishton!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gav said:

The Lancashire league was the place to come at one point. 
Alan Border and Warne both played for East Lancs I believe, Viv Richards played for Rishton!

Warne was Accy but Border definitely played for East Lancs. My boss at the time at Blackburn Council (Ian Haworth) opened the bowling for East Lancs and had the wonderful claim to fame of getting Sir Viv out 3 times in one season. Twice for single figure scores but the third one he made about 175!

I think 'Whispering Death' Michael Holding also played for Rishton a couple of years earlier. Legend has it they had to open the gates to accommodate his run-up!

RIP Warnie

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Warne was Accy but Border definitely played for East Lancs. My boss at the time at Blackburn Council (Ian Haworth) opened the bowling for East Lancs and had the wonderful claim to fame of getting Sir Viv out 3 times in one season. Twice for single figure scores but the third one he made about 175!

I think 'Whispering Death' Michael Holding also played for Rishton a couple of years earlier. Legend has it they had to open the gates to accommodate his run-up!

RIP Warney 

I remember seeing Gary Sobers making about 140 for Littleborough at Castleton Moor. He was knackered at the end. Moor had 9 fielders on the boundary and he was still scoring 4’s and 6’s. He played forward to his last ball, missed it, and just carried on walking ! Then he had to open the bowling. One of my workmates opened the batting for the Moor and he got a 50. We never heard the last of it.

• Like 2

in the early 1980s I saw Michael Holding play for Rishton at Ramsbottom - opened the bowling (he was very fair, always pitching the ball up and no short stuff) and batting at No 5 (he took Rammy's Aussie pro apart). Going back much farther, my grandfather used to love watching West Indies great Learie Constantine (Connie) play for Rammy, dashing home for his tea between innings. Sadly, the Lancs League isn't as strong as it used to be

• Like 2

Not a lot more to be said re his playing career, just unbelievable really, especially considering he didn’t play the majority of his career on spin paradises like those in the sub-continent.

But in recent years, I found him a fantastic commentator on Sky. Always up for the craic with his colleagues, but when it came to explaining the craft of spin (and in particular leg spin) bowling to a layman like me was fantastic.

(oh and he game me a wave at The Gabba in 2017)

‘Bowling Shane!’

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Not a lot more to be said re his playing career, just unbelievable really, especially considering he didn’t play the majority of his career on spin paradises like those in the sub-continent.

But in recent years, I found him a fantastic commentator on Sky. Always up for the craic with his colleagues, but when it came to explaining the craft of spin (and in particular leg spin) bowling to a layman like me was fantastic.

(oh and he game me a wave at The Gabba in 2017)

‘Bowling Shane!’

I just thought he was the top man for cricket, whatever he did

I thought he was fantastic.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Still can't believe Shane Warne has die yesterday and we have lost a great of the game. 

He will be missed and it was only last week after his comments about the England job I starting to think he might make a good choice as England next test coach

Everybody has said his cricketing knowledge was second to none.

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Everybody has said his cricketing knowledge was second to none.

You could tell that just be listening commenting on a live match or even when captain Hampshire. 

Shame he was never name permanent Australia 

8 hours ago, den said:

Just watched “Warne in a million” on sky sports. It was made before his death but really is worth watching.

cracking programme to watch