BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 hours ago, Torgeir said:

We won’t attract any top players with the current wage structure in place. 

What a load of tripe the big money of the past is where it will stay Rovers offer a decent wage look at turnover ratio to wages - Nyambe has backpedaled a bit indicating a willingness to sign but then rowing back! Agent clearly at work 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Nyambe is replaceable, but this sets the tone, shows the ambition of the club and despite all the fur coat over the appointment of JDT, we're wearing no knickers, its the same old story I'm afraid.

The only hope here is, JDT/Broughton can find cheap players from abroad, we're going to need them.

Rubbish when a player is in the last year of his contract he holds the cards - rovers offered him a deal he declined it he came scuttling back for talks and again declined the offer ! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pomster said:

As ive already stated on the ST thread, I worked out what its going to cost to replace these three players, we could of filled the ground for free all season

You’ve worked it out cost wise? There are more than enough free players out there who would snap the wages up in a heartbeat

19 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Rumours are Lenihen will be on 30k a week at Boro, he isn't worth that sort of money and I wouldn't have wanted the club committing to a 4 year deal on that contract 

How is that possible under FFP?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

You’ve worked it out cost wise? There are more than enough free players out there who would snap the wages up in a heartbeat

There may well be, but unless they are at least the equal of those departing, then the side regresses.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It would feel better if these players were going to clubs bigger, or at least in a higher league than us. 

In those circumstances you can hold your hands up and accept the situation and move on, albeit still significantly out of pocket.

But what we are facing is losing them to immediate rivals. The likes of Middlesbrough and Stoke. Mid table Championship sides. Sides who I have been told for the last 3-4 years have their FFP comeuppance looming and that these clubs would be sanctioned due to their huge losses and wages whilst good old Rovers make sacrifices in order to avoid that fate.

Back in the real world they haven't been sanctioned, despite losing far more than us, just as I confidently predicted they wouldn't, and are now able to cherry pick our key, prized core academy developed players by offering them better packages 

Think a few on here need to admit they were wrong about those sanctions and that we've been taken for fools.

Venkys out.

Waggott out.

Asap.

Remembering you saying we should be more like Derby, bend the rules , never mind about FFP,they’ll never get sanctioned etc, glad we didn’t go down that road.

• Like 2

Nyambe was a solid RB with massive limitations in an attacking sense, cannot pass or cross a ball. If we move to a 4-4-2 as others have said it would have reduced the impact of his weak areas. I would have liked him to stay and competed with whoever is coming in to challenge for that spot.

Its criminal however that him, Lenihan and Rothwell have all been let go for free. As I was calling for last summer the lot of them should have been sold for whatever small fees we could get, it wouldn't have made a difference to us going up or down.

I reckon between the three of them it is at least £10million down the drain compared with if we sold them last summer. Money rovers cannot afford to waste.

6 minutes ago, unsall said:

Remembering you saying we should be more like Derby, bend the rules , never mind about FFP,they’ll never get sanctioned etc, glad we didn’t go down that road.

Why couldn't we have the best of both worlds and go down the Middlesbrough road?

Remember it is now going to cost money to adequately replace these big departures. So it could end up causing further damage to our FFP situation than it would if we had just made reasonable offers in a timely manner.

We are owned and run by idiots. Middlesbrough and Stoke aren't. That's the difference.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Nyambe leaving is a big blow imo. For all the moaning by some fans, he was defensively very solid. Compare that to the travesty of our left back position, where repeated signings have all been shite. Fingers cross the new guys get the replacement right.

It's a big blow, but as I understand it JDT relies on his FBs to be offensive outlets. That isn't Nyambe's strength at all... so I wonder if they put a cap on the salary they were willing to offer him?

• Like 1

I think it was inevitable that all 3 were leaving several months ago, with Lenihan being the one most likely to stay.

Nyambe was decent but, in my opinion, has stagnated for a couple of seasons.

New scenery and coaching for him should give him a chance to kick on and he’s certainly replaceable from our point of view.

Not nice to see Academy lads leave, but let’s reserve judgement until we see who their replacements are…

40 minutes ago, JHRover said:

How is that possible under FFP?

They obviously have smarter people at their clubs who drive more income into the club.

It also helps that they don't play on front of 12-14 thousand at home every other week 

And Gibson is a far better owner.

At the end of the day we were running out wage bill at 180% to our turnover which couldn't continue 

21 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Why couldn't we have the best of both worlds and go down the Middlesbrough road?

Remember it is now going to cost money to adequately replace these big departures. So it could end up causing further damage to our FFP situation than it would if we had just made reasonable offers in a timely manner.

We are owned and run by idiots. Middlesbrough and Stoke aren't. That's the difference.

There are lots of good players available for free in the Championship. The days of big transfer fees are in the past at this level - nobody has any money.

Additionally to the point islander200  makes, the owners - Gibson at 'Boro,  and the family behind Bet 365 (sorry; haven't time to look up their surname) at Stoke City - are: i) local to; & ii) fans of - their clubs.

We've certainly not been helped by the length of the 'chain of command' between our owners and Ewood Park. Or wherever our CEO is based these days.

11 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

There are lots of good players available for free in the Championship. The days of big transfer fees are in the past at this level - nobody has any money.

If that’s the case the model we are trying to implement is doomed to fail from the off. If the only players that have any value are a Brereton or Armstrong, unearthing one of them every year or two is going to be a really difficult task.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Torgeir said:

We won’t attract any top players with the current wage structure in place. 

says who? Who are these top players? 

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

What's to say we get the right back signing right? 

Got to trust Broughton and JDT here. They will have plenty of options to sign for the vacant first choice right back

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Then why didn't they do that and let Mowbray spend some of the Armstrong cash, particularly in January when we had promotion in our sights?

We don't know what budget was last January but Mowbray still was biding for players and signed 5 players. Wasted Giles, Hedge told he needs to leave the system 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

So whatever Broughton said or offered clearly not enough to persuade Nyambe to hang around. 

Rumours are a move to Stoke so we can't even use the comfort blanket of him going to a higher division club. 

For all the hot air rivals are paying more and are more attractive places to be. 

As for Waggott he should resign. There has to be a consequence to the travesty of losing 3 key players for £0 like this.

The Stoke Rumour was last summer not recent one unless I miss a rumour.

I am not surprised at all Nyambe is leaving us. Writing was on the wall when he didn't turn up to pre season training. 

If he doesn't want to be here. He and his agent has withdraw all talks with Rovers then suddenly he reopen talks with Rovers. 

I think we can do much better than Nyambe as right back

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

So Nyambe makes it three for three.

”The model” we are trying to operate on is broken. Badly. It’s a mammoth task for Greg Broughton to fix. Penny pinching, can kicking and a complete lack of foresight has led to three valuable first team players walking away for nothing. Our two longest serving players gone, both academy graduates, and both who statistically improve results massively when they play. We’ve also lost our only two remaining players who pre-dated Mowbray.

It’s a good job they have gained some good will with the recent appointments, because this situation is extremely poor. If we still had Mowbray or had appointed another dullard in his place there’s be absolute uproar.

We don't want to keep asking the owners for more the muppet says when pushing up prices.

Then around 10 million worth of mostly home grown championship talent all probably on less than ten grand a week walk for nothing.

On top of another poor season ticket uptake these are sackable offences for any CEO in any industry never mind this one.  No doubt he'll be desperately trying to cover it by selling BBD behind the scenes.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It’s not just that we are being run by idiots, they are idiots who’ve basically washed their hands of us.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andy said:

I think it was inevitable that all 3 were leaving several months ago, with Lenihan being the one most likely to stay.

Nyambe was decent but, in my opinion, has stagnated for a couple of seasons.

New scenery and coaching for him should give him a chance to kick on and he’s certainly replaceable from our point of view.

Not nice to see Academy lads leave, but let’s reserve judgement until we see who their replacements are…

Agree fully.

I'd add that IMO Nyambe was already his best self, he'd never get any better. He was strong defensively but weak going forward mainly because he had no idea what to do with the ball when reached the other end of the pitch. Constantly caught out of position, constantly injured. He was one of our own so sad he's moving on but from a purely footballing point of view we can do better.

Selling Nyambe, Lenihan and Rothwell in the last transfer window wouldn't have gone well with us would it. In and around 2nd place and then we sell the captain and an attacking midfielder, can't see that as being well received.

We were always going to lose these three and it probably made sense to give it one last big heave at promotion before lettting them go.

Crappy situations happen, we move on. There's better out there in all positions and I think we will find them. If it costs Venky's money then who cares.

On a seperate note I think TM lost the plot with this whole 'you've got to be a nice guy to join our club' thing. Pro spirt needs an arrogant even nasty side to a blokes make up. We ended up with a dressing room full of boy scouts. Time to move on and them three leaving and JDT/GB joining is the stepping off point for a new adventure.

On balance I'm glad they're gone.

• Like 3

Our model is now producing championship standard players for other clubs to snap up for free.  Supported by the occasional big money Prem move ( for guys we paid millions for anyway )

Great, i'm sure Brentford are flattered we are doing so well in following their model.

Meanwhile another fixed asset is probably being eyed up for 'transfer'.

• Like 3