BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Big blow to lose Nyambe, not as much as Lenihan and perhaps on par with Rothwell and he does have big limitations but I have no confidence that we will sign an equal replacement on a small budget, and it is another hole to fill. If Nyambe was a free agent elsewhere, him signing here would be lauded.

I think Waggott is an easy target specifically on this because he is (understandably, I fall into this category) under heavy scrutiny over other aspects of his role that he has fundamentally and consistently messed up, especially around ticketing.

The main issue is the constantly shrinking budget, we need Venkys with the imminent Brereton funds to reinvest a large chunk to provoke an overhaul which is needed not only because of the gaps in the squad but also to help the manager take the club in a new direction. The players leaving we seemingly cannot compete with rivals in terms of wages whilst working under such restraints.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andyroversmad said:

When you see djed spence play right back for Forest last season you can see that Nyambe isn't as great as some are making out. 

I really wish he was staying because it's yet another first team player that we'll now need to go out and replace. Having said that, he's comfortably the most replaceable out of the three that have left this season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andyroversmad said:

When you see djed spence play right back for Forest last season you can see that Nyambe isn't as great as some are making out. 

I think he's fantastic defensively 1-on-1. If he's able to stand you up you might as well just give the ball to him.

He has lapses of concentration at times (don't they all) and his end product is poor going forward - which is why PL clubs haven't come calling.

I think it's a big loss in terms of its another hole we have to fill (no thank you to JRC or Brown playing any meaningful minutes at RB), but he's not a world beater of a player.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I really wish he was staying because it's yet another first team player that we'll now need to go out and replace. Having said that, he's comfortably the most replaceable out of the three that have left this season. 

I'd give that honour, comfortably, to Lenihan.

Bang average Championship CB on his best day. Earned the captain's armband due to seniority rather than on merit.

• Like 3

We just have a new setup at the club. Let’s all just take a breath. We are short Multiple players but JDT and gb need some time to assess what we have and then identify replacements. We have no idea what formation etc is planned for this season. I get the impression GB isn’t one to wait around. He will act fairly quickly once he knows what’s needed. Let’s all wait and see what they do. TM was I think the main reason for the very slow windows in the last couple of seasons. Very old school 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

There's a long way to go in the transfer window but as things stand we're in bad shape. Our squad is bottom 8 at the moment. 

Need some good signings and quickly. 

Bottom 8 is generous. If we played a competitive Championship fixture tomorrow I'd put my mortgage on us losing.

5 minutes ago, andyroversmad said:

Comparing apples and oranges in terms of right backs. Spence played the whole season as a wing back and that suits him, superb going forward at this level and suspect defensively.

Nyambe is out of his depth as a wing back, as poor an attacking full back as you will see. Defensively though he is very good one on one and he has that physicality that helps him in recovery.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I think he's fantastic defensively 1-on-1. If he's able to stand you up you might as well just give the ball to him.

He has lapses of concentration at times (don't they all) and his end product is poor going forward - which is why PL clubs haven't come calling.

I think it's a big loss in terms of its another hole we have to fill (no thank you to JRC or Brown playing any meaningful minutes at RB), but he's not a world beater of a player.

How many opposition players have given him a chasing ? Not many, if any

• Like 4

I can't imagine either GB or JDT would have joined Rovers had they not had assurances over budgets and opportunity to make signings. JDT turned down a club in the Champions League to come here....

The ways of working and how we sign players has and will change (thankfully). I imagine we will see the benefits soon enough.

Remember, with Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe we didnt get out of this league. If that is indeed the aim, aim higher.

I'm excited to see what unfolds but it will not happen overnight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheRevAshton said:

Middlesbrough have confirmed the Lenihan signing on their Twitter, hurts to see him in that kit despite how replaceable I think he is.

We need some good news around here!

Yeah looks weird seeing him in a Boro kit. 

We need to get a couple of signings through the door sharpish really.

50 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd give that honour, comfortably, to Lenihan.

Bang average Championship CB on his best day. Earned the captain's armband due to seniority rather than on merit.

Game of opinions, but I disagree completely. I think he's going to be the biggest loss actually.

I would've agreed earlier in his career, but I thought he was very strong last season. Actually for the last couple of seasons, there's a massive difference between our win % with and without Lenihan in the team. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Why couldn't we have the best of both worlds and go down the Middlesbrough road?

Remember it is now going to cost money to adequately replace these big departures. So it could end up causing further damage to our FFP situation than it would if we had just made reasonable offers in a timely manner.

We are owned and run by idiots. Middlesbrough and Stoke aren't. That's the difference.

Not saying we are run well, my point is you were saying we should be run like Derby, you got that one wrong, now saying we should be run like ‘Boro who probably are sailing close to the wind with FFP, I’ll wait till end of transfer window and see where we are before making any predictions.

Edited by unsall
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, andyroversmad said:

I didn't see him, or I don't remember it at least, but it's utterly irrelevant even if he is world class.

Completely unobtainable player who is playing in the Prem next year is better than Nyambe? So what? Tell me about some bargain bin 500k RB who is better than him and that might be of some use to us.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Genuine question - does anyone feel any sort of emotional attachment to the players these days?

Maybe it's just me and the standard being so poor - I used to love Tugay, Emerton (for all his faults!) etc.

This lot are mostly just replaceable cloggers in my eyes - nobody to get attached to. You don't feel like you're watching anything special.

At a stretch I'd say I'm fond of Travis. 

I know what you mean - but then again I'm in my early 30s so I just put it down to getting a bit older.

Rhodes stands out since relegation. Dack too I suppose.

One thing I would say is that I haven't actively disliked any of our players for a while, which wasn't always the case a few years ago! Much easier to develop emotional attachment to cloggers like Smallwood and Bennett compared to the likes of Orr or Murphy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

We need to get a couple of signings through the door sharpish really.

yeah we've liked the deadline approach a bit too much recently, the risk is getting £20m for BBD and still having most of it left after a deadline failed transfer or a large portion of it wasted on a panic buy.

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I didn't see him, or I don't remember it at least, but it's utterly irrelevant even if he is world class.

Completely unobtainable player who is playing in the Prem next year is better than Nyambe? So what? Tell me about some bargain bin 500k RB who is better than him and that might be of some use to us.

There are players out there if you look hard enough. I thought Isiah Jones (RB) was one of the more impressive players I saw last year who Boro signed from Tooting & Mitcham, now linked with West Ham for 15 mill. We don't need to spend big to replace these players, just cast our net far and wide. Hopefully GB helps with this. 

• Like 2