BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Hi Mack said:

Another day passes, another day the transfer thread gets filled with Tony Mowbray memories and released players. 

it’s all part of the process. 😂

Well at least the club are tweeting lots of pictures of the current squad, which helps 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

As Phili has said Jack Walker used to do it when he was the owner of our club.  You will find some clubs like Spurs under Levy did it when Harry Redknapp or Mauricio Pochettino was there. Or Chelsea and Manchester United under Jose Mourinho. 

Simple question, if you were owner of a football club would you not be asking serious questions of your manager before authorising signings? in order to make sure it was the right deal for your club you own

JDT and his staff are assessing the squad in Portugal before they make their moves in the transfer market. 

correct there. Given that it has been reported we only looking for 6 signings according to the LT. We need to make sure we get the right signings. 

This is exactly what JDT and GB have said they wanted to do in interviews before the training camp so I don't know why anyone expect signings in so early. Its clear what the plan was.

Jack Walker, Daniel Levy and most owners have the best interests of their club at heart. They also tend to show an interest in what’s going on and employ competent people they trust.

Can’t say I’ve seen any evidence of this being the case with Venky’s.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

As Phili has said Jack Walker used to do it when he was the owner of our club.  You will find some clubs like Spurs under Levy did it when Harry Redknapp or Mauricio Pochettino was there. Or Chelsea and Manchester United under Jose Mourinho. 

Simple question, if you were owner of a football club would you not be asking serious questions of your manager before authorising signings? in order to make sure it was the right deal for your club you own

JDT and his staff are assessing the squad in Portugal before they make their moves in the transfer market. 

correct there. Given that it has been reported we only looking for 6 signings according to the LT. We need to make sure we get the right signings. 

This is exactly what JDT and GB have said they wanted to do in interviews before the training camp so I don't know why anyone expect signings in so early. Its clear what the plan was.

No, I would appoint a manager that I trusted had more expertise than me to dictate transfer dealings. If I didn't trust him I would get a new one.

I feel part of the problem is that so many people add too much weight to what is said in the press - even in public statements from the club - and also try to fill in gaps in information that we will simply never have access to. 

Of course a new manager and DoF are going to take a bit of time to assess a squad before they start signing players. Would we want them to do it differently? Even if they did their research coming into the job and have an idea of what is needed, I'd still want them to take a closer look before signing new players. 

As for how many players we are signing. Do you want a new regime to come out and say that we need 10 players? 15 players? How do you expect the existing squad to take that? 

• Like 1

Incredible how much people still willingly defend the owners to a fault no matter what. There is always a good budget that happens to never be spent. Apparently them overruling the manager is perfectly justifiable. When they dont reinvest any money its purely down to FFP. Everything can be pinned on Mowbray and Waggott even though its been a 12 year shit show.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Jack Walker, Daniel Levy and most owners have the best interests of their club at heart. They also tend to show an interest in what’s going on and employ competent people they trust.

Can’t say I’ve seen any evidence of this being the case with Venky’s.

Daniel Levy doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Jack Walker as far as I'm concerned. He's a snake oil salesman...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

Daniel Levy doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Jack Walker as far as I'm concerned. He's a snake oil salesman...

I don’t disagree. Sadly he’s a million times better owner than Venky’s though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Bigbrandjohn 2022/23 strategy

1 Sign or sell Brereton this month

2 sign 2 proven players and 2 with potential. Remainder loans. 

3 Risk 3 of our academy in the squad. 

4 Play attractive football

5 Embrace the errors that will be made as youngsters transition. 

6 Target 1 or 2 signings in January window

7 Accept top 10 position in first year having won and lost with creativity and imagination. 

8 JDT and DOF talk sense and humility not bollocks  

8 Rinse and repeat. 

This is what I'm proposing - let's move on from the debate of Mowbray.

So moves I'd be making in the transfer market:

CB - sell Ayala, bring in 2 new CBs promote Carter, see what Barnes is like.

RB - give Nyambe a new contract - promote Pike. If not - sign a first team RB - Pike cover.

LB - if Pickering isn't going to improve, promote Batty, sign a LB cover.

GK - sell Pears - promote Eastham as backup.

CM - promote Garrett, sign 2 new CMs

CAM - promote Wharton - sign 1 new CAM.

RW - sell Hedges - bring in 2 RWs.

LW - sell Brereton - bring in 2 LWs

ST - sell Gallagher, promote Burns, Leonard and Vale - sign a new ST.

Income of £20m (Brereton), £200k (Hedges), £15-£20k a week (Ayala wages) . Mutual termination (Pears) £1m (Gallagher) 

Total income £21.5m - 50% to transfer kitty. £10m to play with.

11 new signings needed

Previous budget maybe £2m? 

£12m for 11 signings.

Over £1m per signing

6 minutes ago, Brfcrule1 said:

I don't know if this is realistic I hear Man Utd are close to tieing up a deal for a new European LB I would very much like to see us go for Luke Shaw quality LB formerly of Southampton always liked him could be a good addition what does everyone think 

Nar, not even remotely realistic I'm afraid.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Brfcrule1 said:

I don't know if this is realistic I hear Man Utd are close to tieing up a deal for a new European LB I would very much like to see us go for Luke Shaw quality LB formerly of Southampton always liked him could be a good addition what does everyone think 

I genuinely don't think it would be an over exaggeration to say he would need to take a £100k per week pay cut to be our best paid player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I like how you said that with a straight face. He’s probably on more than any complete first team we choose to put out.

He is probably on more than our entire squad combined

Estimated £150K a week https://salarysport.com/football/player/luke-shaw/

Pretty sure that's around 10 times our highest earner 

Edited by KentExile
added link

Just now, Brfcrule1 said:

Good grief that puts paid to that didn't think he'd be on as much as that shame really I don't think he's worth that much in wages

From memory Utd paid about £50m for him so it stands to reason he will be on big money; although when some players in their squad are on £300k+ you would imagine Shaw will be on moderate wages in comparison

13 minutes ago, Brfcrule1 said:

Do you think he might be too expensive?

Far too expensive and unrealistic. He's on £150K a week and they would probably want over £20m for him.

Sadly, as seen over recent years, current day Rovers struggle to get decent Championship players in due to budgets etc. I think we can forget about any Premier League names turning up here until we get there.

A player I rate at LB, Kristian Pedersen, is available on a free, but was on 15K at Brum apparently. I think wages around that level would be a stretch for us too and that is 10 percent of what somebody like Shaw is on.

44 minutes ago, Brfcrule1 said:

He scored a goal in the Euros final against Italy last year. I don’t think he’s ready for the drop to mid-table Championship (as we currently are) just yet.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Far too expensive and unrealistic. He's on £150K a week and they would probably want over £20m for him.

Sadly, as seen over recent years, current day Rovers struggle to get decent Championship players in due to budgets etc. I think we can forget about any Premier League names turning up here until we get there.

A player I rate at LB, Kristian Pedersen, is available on a free, but was on 15K at Brum apparently. I think wages around that level would be a stretch for us too and that is 10 percent of what somebody like Shaw is on.

From what I read they’re not sorry to see him go at Big Club.