BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

If this is a 3 year youth project, then we don't need to be signing 6 new players

A couple of competent bodies to boost the squad numbers will be more than enough. Review again in January based on the injury list.

The emphasis on recruitment needs to be the next crop of youth to backfill for when this lot are sold on. Sounds like it is.

Now if we had ambitions to get promoted it would be a different story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I asked Rich Sharpe about the Gus Williams coming in as head of recruitment. He reply saying he spotted someone who look like him at the Dundee game. So maybe he has join already but we haven't announce it yet. 

Rovers need to bring 5 or 6 quality signings. This is who I would be looking at

right back - Nathan Byrne from Derby on a free transfer or Callum Brittain from Barnsley 1.5 million pounds

centre back - Tom Lockyer from Luton. 2.5 million

centre midfielder - Cameron Brannagan from Oxford. 1 million or  Cullum Styles from Barnsley. 2 million 

left winger - Todd Cantwell on season long loan 

Striker - Ryan Hardie from Playmouth. 400k

Do you do all your scouting on FM? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

I think the sun and heat is just adding to the frustration of some supporters #sunscreen #shade #relax😅👍😅🌞🌞

I just think it’s a case of fans liking the new manager and wanting to see him backed and given the best chance to succeed, being the only club in the league not to make a signing yet is shoddy when you consider we definitely need at least 5 or 6 signings. The closer we leave it to the start of the season the less prepared we’ll be. Fans have every right to be annoyed, why don’t you #relax from being one of the most patronising and condescending posters on this whole forum 👍🏻😅👍🏻😅

Edited by Butty
  • Like 3

JDT is the head coach not the manager. He has the final say on whether a player comes in or not. Its Gregg Broughton and recruitment team to scout, negotiation and sign the players

Not really. He is number 2 in a chain of 5 nay sayers. Soon be number 3 from 6. A true middleman by definition. Can't even pick his own players. 

14 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

If this is a 3 year youth project, then we don't need to be signing 6 new players

A couple of competent bodies to boost the squad numbers will be more than enough. Review again in January based on the injury list.

The emphasis on recruitment needs to be the next crop of youth to backfill for when this lot are sold on. Sounds like it is.

Now if we had ambitions to get promoted it would be a different story.

Tbf Broughton even said it would take a few transfer windows to get us really moving towards where we want to be, 

I agree that we dont need to be signing half a dozen new "senior" first team players at this point, but we do really need to get the defence sorted so that we have something solid to build on and keep us afloat! During this 'transitional period' 

I think we 100% need another quality proven CB and RB, then not so urgent but still important... A reliable backup keeper. 

I think pickering has until Christmas to prove his worth at LB

We obviously need another goalscorer when one comes available at the right price that can pitch in with at least 15 goals a season

In the meantime I'm hoping team spirit and a hungry set youngsters will help us get of to an energetic pragmatic start to the season... But they cant be relied on for to long.... Once we get into the nitty gritty of the season we'll need a few older heads to keep the pace

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

No we don't need to hear from Gregg Broughton at this stage. After the transfer window is the right time for that, he needs to carry on doing the job he is doing like bringing in a new head of recruitment which looks Gus Williams plus bringing 5 or 6 quality signings. 

Look forward to hearing the positive justification after the window, when those signings don't appear. We already know they need 3 windows anyhow.

In youth we trust. Ironic as Mowbray only trusted men.

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

It means he doesn’t get involved in discussions!

Ooooooooooh, gets involved in discussions. Amazing. 

Then some unaccountable geezer goes off and tries to sign who he fancied through multiple layers of bureaucracy.

Having a coach not a manager is the continental model and hardly any one had it here because it doesn't work in England. 

If anything, I would say things are now worse than before

15 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

60 hour shifts Mercer?? That's harsh!!

Not really!

When a business need arises I do it myself and I'm some 30 years older than Broughton!!!  Must confess, if I do a 60 hour shift, I now take the following week or so after off.

Edited by Mercer

49 minutes ago, Mercer said:

With the transfer window open and new to the job, Broughton should be putting in at least 60 hour shifts every week.  If he cannot find 20 minutes (0.5% of his time) to sit down with the local reporter once a week over a cup of tea then I think it's a p1ss poor effort.

There has to be a reason why we aren't making signings.  We don't need to be told about targets we've missed or the next targets in line.  However, if it's for financial reasons (wages, fees or both) we are missing out then the fans should be told.  Fans themselves have decisions to make, buy a Rovers' season ticket, take the kids away on holiday, put food on the table, turn on the heating.  Openness, honesty and transparency are needed.

IMO, to say nothing is not acceptable and there are simply no excuses.

Gregg Broughton shouldn't be doing media interviews at all. He has a job to do so lets him get on with it and judge and do interviews after the window closes. 

Fans shouldn't need a weekly or daily updates from Gregg Broughton. 

24 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Not really. He is number 2 in a chain of 5 nay sayers. Soon be number 3 from 6. A true middleman by definition. Can't even pick his own players. 

Maybe look at JDT's comments at his first press conference with the media. He was quite clear with that he has the final say. 

You clearly don't understand how a Director of football/head coach works. JDT job is to coach the players whilst leaving GB and the recruitment to bring in players and scout them. Maybe do some research into how this structure works which is new to Rovers fans

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Not really!

When a business need arises I do it myself and I'm some 30 years older than Broughton!!!  Must confess, if I do a 60 hour shift, I now take the following week or so after off.

You are busy man you Mercer. I won't do over 40 hours a week. My boss doesn't even asked me about overtime anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Not really!

Are you doing 60 hours none stop with no sleep because if you are your decision making will be shot to bits. Is lunch allowed or is that for wimps?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gregg Broughton shouldn't be doing media interviews at all. He has a job to do so lets him get on with it and judge and do interviews after the window closes. 

Sorry Chaddy but I think you are wrong and wrong again.

For fecks sake, Broughton is the DOF who the fans want to hear from.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

You are busy man you Mercer. I won't do over 40 hours a week. My boss doesn't even asked me about overtime anymore. 

I'm in a fortunate position where I can pick and choose my work and I'm gradually winding down, however, if there's a big job on and I fancy it and a client needs me then I'm there.

14 hours ago, tomphil said:

It was JDT who was asked though.

I'm sure Sharpe is waiting GB's return calls on the matter, should be an interview by Sept.....2023.

He keeps getting asked because Broughton has said he won’t give any interviews on the matter until the transfer window is shut. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Sorry Chaddy but I think you are wrong and wrong again.

For fecks sake, Broughton is the DOF who the fans want to hear from.

Fans shouldn't be asking to hear from DoF Gregg Broughton. Lets him get on with the job he has to do. 

Interviews should happen after the transfer window ends

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

I'm in a fortunate position where I can pick and choose my work and I'm gradually winding down, however, if there's a big job on and I fancy it and a client needs me then I'm there.

same here as I worked for a very good worldwide company and I am in position where I don't need to work overtime. Family, etc comes first

9 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Are you doing 60 hours none stop with no sleep because if you are your decision making will be shot to bits. Is lunch allowed or is that for wimps?

I said Broughton should be doing at least 60 hours over the course of the week.  If you are young, keen, hungry and ambitious, you do whatever it takes and you often find there aren't enough hours in the week!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I said Broughton should be doing at least 60 hours over the course of the week.  If you are young, keen, hungry and ambitious, you do whatever it takes and you often find there aren't enough hours in the week!

That's fair enough. It was the talk of a 60 hour shift that concerned me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I said Broughton should be doing at least 60 hours over the course of the week.  If you are young, keen, hungry and ambitious, you do what it takes and you often find there aren't enough hours in the week!

Its only 10 hours a day with Sunday off. Its normal for people to be doing much more including work calls and emails. Nobody gets anywhere on 35 hours pw.

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Maybe look at JDT's comments at his first press conference with the media. He was quite clear with that he has the final say. 

You clearly don't understand how a Director of football/head coach works. JDT job is to coach the players whilst leaving GB and the recruitment to bring in players and scout them. Maybe do some research into how this structure works which is new to Rovers fans

Oh dear me.

You keep repeating that you don't want any transfer updates from the club. Yet besides coming on here every day, you actively send questions to Nicko and Sharpe on twitter for transfer updates.

Do you want transfer updates or not ?

JDT has the final say... not Swag or Suhail or Balaji then. You clearly don't understand how things work at Rovers.

Suggesting mere Rovers fans (except yourself) are too thick to understand the new structure just misses the point.

Whatever the structure, it won't work at Rovers whilst we have these owners.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Ooooooooooh, gets involved in discussions. Amazing. 

Then some unaccountable geezer goes off and tries to sign who he fancied through multiple layers of bureaucracy.

Having a coach not a manager is the continental model and hardly any one had it here because it doesn't work in England. 

If anything, I would say things are now worse than before

It is coming more into the English game and the same set up is seen at quite a few clubs.

Farke at Norwich was Head coach ,Webber led the way with signings. 

Huddersfield last season Coberan was head coach someone else led the way with signings 

Klopp at Liverpool, has the final say on targets(like JDT will) but Edwards came up with the lists of players for Klopp to choose from.

Other clubs are going down this route and tbh I think it is the correct way to go(once a head coach doesn't have a player he doesn't want forced on him)

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

People are only asking for communication in the continuing absence of players in the building. You mention no leaks but I would be amazed if anything is close.

Your comments about the structure are very patronising. A big fear at a club already known for taking ages to make decisions and action them was the additional delays from adding the additional layer of a director of football. I am yet to be convinced that this decision does anything but further slow everything down. The days keep counting down with 13 until the season and nothing has happened.

Just now, islander200 said:

It is coming more into the English game and the same set up is seen at quite a few clubs.

Farke at Norwich was Head coach ,Webber led the way with signings.

Klopp at Liverpool, has the final say on targets(like JDT will) but Edwards came up with the lists of players for Klopp to choose from.

Other clubs are going down this route and tbh I think it is the correct way to go(once a head coach doesn't have a player he doesn't want forced on him)

Them clubs dont have the same issues with speed in actioning decisions like us, predominantly stemming from India.

Its an idea that makes sense in theory but relies on the manager retaining final authority (which can never be guaranteed regardless of promises) and efficiency/speed.

• Like 3

Personally, it feels like Broughton is starting to feel the heat.

If it is a case of a lack of sufficient communication from Barry and his assistant, which I suspect it to be, what else can you do? It's either waffle to buy yourself some time or keep your head down.

No more interviews, thank you. (And no more signings either)

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

People are only asking for communication in the continuing absence of players in the building. You mention no leaks but I would be amazed if anything is close.

Your comments about the structure are very patronising. A big fear at a club already known for taking ages to make decisions and action them was the additional delays from adding the additional layer of a director of football. I am yet to be convinced that this decision does anything but further slow everything down. The days keep counting down with 13 until the season and nothing has happened.

Them clubs dont have the same issues with speed in actioning decisions like us, predominantly stemming from India.

Its an idea that makes sense in theory but relies on the manager retaining final authority (which can never be guaranteed regardless of promises) and efficiency/speed.

Agreed, I wasn't saying it will definitely work out for us here my post was more in response to the post I quoted were the poster said it isn't seen over here as it doesn't work.

5 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Personally, it feels like Broughton is starting to feel the heat.

If it is a case of a lack of sufficient communication from Barry and his assistant, which I suspect it to be, what else can you do? It's either waffle to buy yourself some time or keep your head down.

No more interviews, thank you. (And no more signings either)

Think he has his hands full. A lot of stuff to learn, positions to fill, and players to recruit. A short interview with the local press to reassure the fans wouldn’t be such a bad idea, however. 

People can take it as a positive that there aren’t many players linked, but for the time being nothing is happening. One can wonder why…