BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 minute ago, Jimmy612 said:

So my assumption is right.. the club can be simply held over a barrel by Philips and his agent, and the wealthy elite can mosey on in and take him from under our nose.  The system is completely and utterly broken.

Oh yeah for sure. They have us over a barrel.

His agent will be pushing what Spurs would be able to offer and getting us to up his deal.

How difficult would it be to impose a rule that the club who offered and honoured the scholarship has first refusal on a 3-year pro contract for the player.  If not, all these academies across the country may as well have the crest of the top 6 or 8 clubs over their door.  We're essentially rearing young footballers for them to swoop in and nick whichever they want.

• Like 4

With Phillips, we can’t just be offering him a grand a week, then saying “we did all we could” when he disappears for a pitiful fee.

We need to be operating outside our fabled structure, plus offering some decent performance based incentives and raises, as well as giving him appropriate assurances and selling the club to him.

No doubt this would be seen by some as “being held to ransom”, but doing so isn’t going to lead to us “doing a Derby”… seeing him go though would just be another step in our journey to becoming a dysfunctional 1990’s Crewe Alexandra.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, roverblue said:

If we lose Ash Phillips on top of the big assets lost already due to a lack of admin on contracts then its time for Venky's to sack Waggot.

It's absolutely criminal that a club that relies on academy development to fund the club and drive the 1st team has lost so much in such a short space of time.

You can only blame Waggot for a complete failure to negotiate in the longer term interests of the club. Yes that might mean paying a few grand more in the short term but you have to weigh it up against getting £5m fee plus % future sales on players. 

It is like the administrative part of the club from contracts to ticketing to marketing is overseen by a complete clown.

For once, I'm actually not immediately going to blame the club or Waggott here.  If big clubs have been whispering sweet nothings in the ear of Philips and his agent, then what exactly can Rovers do?  We can try and compete and pay him 5k, 10k, 15k... the big clubs could blow us out of the water without thinking.  It's nothing to them if they think they're getting the next England centre half.

I'm aghast that this can be allowed to happen, quite frankly.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, roverblue said:

If we lose Ash Phillips on top of the big assets lost already due to a lack of admin on contracts then its time for Venky's to sack Waggot.

It's absolutely criminal that a club that relies on academy development to fund the club and drive the 1st team has lost so much in such a short space of time.

You can only blame Waggot for a complete failure to negotiate in the longer term interests of the club. Yes that might mean paying a few grand more in the short term but you have to weigh it up against getting £5m fee plus % future sales on players. 

It is like the administrative part of the club from contracts to ticketing to marketing is overseen by a complete clown.

In fairness, he cant sign a professional contract until he is 17, so bar offer better terms now, i don't think anything more could of been done.

Rovers biggest issue was publically talking him up 12 months ago, which puts him out there even more as vultures were already circling 

55 minutes ago, 47er said:

Davies becomes just another player we have been "linked with" and Phillips hasn't yet signed as we were led to believe.

No players have been signed.

Is it time to panic yet?

We were led to believe that Phillips would sign the professional deal he was offered as we were led to believe that Lenihan and Nyambe would also sign new deals (as told by Swag to posters on here in the lounges pre match). And still the Waggettes offer some defence of him blaming the players, agents etc. Waggotts words mean nothing to me and his word has been broken too often for him to retain any credibility.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

With Phillips, we can’t just be offering him a grand a week, then saying “we did all we could” when he disappears for a pitiful fee.

We need to be operating outside our fabled structure, plus offering some decent performance based incentives and raises, as well as giving him appropriate assurances and selling the club to him.

No doubt this would be seen by some as “being held to ransom”, but doing so isn’t going to lead to us “doing a Derby”… seeing him go though would just be another step in our journey to becoming a dysfunctional 1990’s Crewe Alexandra.

A big six club can offer a contract that can set him and his family up for life.

This happens to premier league clubs aswell, losing their prized youngsters to big 6 clubs.Even other day an 18 year old Arsenal were desperate to keep left for Chelsea.

You say "our" journey to becoming the modern day Crewe like we are the only club at risk of losing its better young players to a club with far more financial clout and standing  in the game.

Did I see your post praising the club for convincing Haddow to sign a new deal turning down premier league interest? 

The problem is the rules, making it so easy for another club to poach a young player who has spent a considerable time at their current club 

5 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

In fairness, he cant sign a professional contract until he is 17, so bar offer better terms now, i don't think anything more could of been done.

Rovers biggest issue was publically talking him up 12 months ago, which puts him out there even more as vultures were already circling 

Ha ha...he's been on the radar for years mate...you think players like that go under the radar when they play other clubs in matches....

Know for a fact utd have been in for him for ages, I know the utd scout who's been watching him.  His job is to buy from other academies.

• Backroom

They want to point out the likes of Callum Wright, went to Leicester and since has only been loaned to Cheltenham, opportunities may have arisen here 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

We were led to believe that Phillips would sign the professional deal he was offered as we were led to believe that Lenihan and Nyambe would also sign new deals (as told by Swag to posters on here in the lounges pre match). And still the Waggettes offer some defence of him blaming the players, agents etc. Waggotts words mean nothing to me and his word has been broken too often for him to retain any credibility.

If Lenihan and Nyambe had been attracting attention from United I would understand why we couldn't compete.  What sticks in the craw in the case of those two is that they're going to rival clubs, who seemingly are at a similar level to us.  Certainly the case with Lenihan - we'll see with Nyambe.

This with Philips is different, and a fine example of how modern day football is the absolute pits. 

6 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Not sure if I agree. The only advantage we have is a clearer path to first team football. The manager praising the player publicly would serve as a sign that you'll be progressed. Would also serve as proof in a tribunal if Phillips chooses money and goes.

The big boys have full control over the talent pool at that level anyway, so can't imagine it having any great impact.

So not only are the players we’ve developed leaving for free; the good ones with potential are leaving before we have chance to even get  some games out of them or a fee. 

Which model are we following now , bury ?

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

They want to point out the likes of Callum Wright, went to Leicester and since has only been loaned to Cheltenham, opportunities may have arisen here 

Think Phillips agent is Gareth Seddon, which might not be the worst thing. Think he's representing several of our players like Dolan and should have decent relationship with the club.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Knew when Pete said, it be true,

Hopefully it gets sorted, if not i'm sure there will be a host of people saying he is shit anyway

Oh aye Waggots coffee cup crew will be on pretty sharpish blaming the player.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

So not only are the players we’ve developed leaving for free; the good ones with potential are leaving before we have chance to even get  some games out of them or a fee. 

We follow the 'nobody is accountable' model.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, islander200 said:

A big six club can offer a contract that can set him and his family up for life.

This happens to premier league clubs aswell, losing their prized youngsters to big 6 clubs.Even other day an 18 year old Arsenal were desperate to keep left for Chelsea.

You say "our" journey to becoming the modern day Crewe like we are the only club at risk of losing its better young players to a club with far more financial clout and standing  in the game.

Did I see your post praising the club for convincing Haddow to sign a new deal turning down premier league interest? 

The problem is the rules, making it so easy for another club to poach a young player who has spent a considerable time at their current club 

Obviously it becomes difficult once the big clubs start circling, but the point I was making is the club need to actually do all we can, instead of the usual trick of claiming to have done so while in fact doing the bare minimum.

He may well go, but we should make the choice as difficult as possible with a competitive offer and compelling argument.

No, you didn’t see any post about Haddow, because the club haven’t spent the last couple of years saying he was the next incarnation of Bobby Moore and would be here for years to come. He was a lot further out on my radar (and the same can be said for the big clubs too).

I did make a post last week predicting that the Bosman ruling would soon become the route of all evil in some peoples minds though.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 2

As a 17 year old lad, if you can get yourself 10-15k a week at a premier league club then you're going to take it.

You're a blown ACL away from that chance never happening again. There's absolutely nothing the club can do in this situation. We can improve our offer, but the fact is there's 6/7 teams in the Prem that can offer him double and he'd still be their worst paid player.

15 minutes ago, islander200 said:

What relevance does that have? So we got some right--great. We risk losing probably the best youngster we've developed since Phil Jones. At least we got £16m or was it £20M for him? 

If we lose Philips are we really expected to say"never mind we kept Haddow!" 

4 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

We would get a fee for Phillips, but it would be laughable compared to his value under contract. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 47er said:

What relevance does that have? So we got some right--great. We risk losing probably the best youngster we've developed since Phil Jones. At least we got £16m or was it £20M for him? 

If we lose Philips are we really expected to say"never mind we kept Haddow!" 

Tell me 47er what the club could have done regarding Phillips?

My point on Haddow Is we werent competing with a big 6 club for his signature.But we were competing with at least one premier league club, and we won

Like my post said every club outside the so called big clubs is vulnerable to losing their better youngsters because those clubs can afford to set a talent up for life we along with most other clubs can't do that.

Edited by islander200

19 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Obviously it becomes difficult once the big clubs start circling, but the point I was making is the club need to actually do all we can, instead of the usual trick of claiming to have done so while in fact doing the bare minimum.

He may well go, but we should make the choice as difficult as possible with a competitive offer and compelling argument.

No, you didn’t see any post about Haddow, because the club haven’t spent the last couple of years saying he was the next incarnation of Bobby Moore and would be here for years to come. He was a lot further out on my radar (and the same can be said for the big clubs too).

I did make a post last week predicting that the Bosman ruling would soon become the route of all evil in some peoples minds though.

Again do you know we haven't made him a very good offer?

Don't come back saying "obviously not good enough". We can't compete with the big clubs like most others including teams in the premier league