BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

But if he is playing regular first team football he will be able to get a more lucrative move, than if he is on loan somewhere. I doubt that one of the big teams would play one of their youngsters, if they had a gap to fill, they would just buy a proven player.

An 18 year old without a senior appearance for Man City signed for Southampton for £14 Million this summer.

Playing for a City reserves would probably give him a better chance of playing for England u-20 or u-21s than playing for our first team.Not saying I agree with that but it's the way it is.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, islander200 said:

An 18 year old without a senior appearance for Man City signed for Southampton for £14 Million this summer.

Playing for a City reserves would probably give him a better chance of playing for England u-20 or u-21s than playing for our first team.Not saying I agree with that but it's the way it is.

Sadly this is true. Their reserve squad would probably compete in league one/bottom end of the championship.

43 minutes ago, rigger said:

One thing we could offer Phillips is a pathway to the first team. In 3 years time, at Rovers he will probably be a regular first teamer, with one of the big clubs he will probably be on loan somewhere.

Need to guard against a Conner Mahonney situation though.

Rovers low balled him and there was a long stand off, eventually in come Bournemouth offering 4x his 2k offer.  That was to go and play for their second string and go out on loan.

Plus he got an apartment in a lush area and they sorted out a job for his Mrs.

That's what you are up against if you piss about and these since (since Waggot) we have good form for that.  The lad himself said he would have signed for 4 grand a week because he didn't want to leave.

Rovers wouldn't budge over 2.5k.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

So it's cost us £30m. The question is have we received £30m in benefit for the 1st team over that decade. 

Darragh Lenihan
Lewis Travis
Ryan Nyambe
David Raya
Scott Wharton
Connor Mahoney
John Buckley

In the last 6 years we haven't managed to sign a better (fit) centre half than Lenihan or even Wharton. It remains to be seen if we can improve on Nyambe. 

Travis is better than your Smallwood's and your Bradley Johnsons that we have taken on. 

Buckley has Dack as a comparison, but the plethora of other creative lightweight midfielders we have brought in (some on loan) havent amounted to much.

Had we not had the academy, we would have saved £30m. But that £30m spent on the academy is FFP-exempt, so we wouldn't have been able to spend that on players anyway if we are close to breaking point.  However the sale of Raya and any others not only brings the cost of the academy down over that 10 year period, but also can be used alleviate the FFP burden.

Therefore I think the academy is worthwhile with the rules restricting us being able to throw an extra £3m a year at the team. I'm also not convinced that our recent 'employees' would have been able to find better than Buckley, Travis, Nyambe, Lenihan and Wharton for that money anyway.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, martonrover said:

Look, let’s hope this turns out to be a fabulous success.

We just badly need to start making some breakthroughs in the transfer market.

We are well behind where we need to be at this moment.

It will be success if people actually give it time and patience and don't start judging over a short 5 weeks period but over the long term and improvements going on at the club with all departments under his control. 

Yes we need some transfers in but only around 5 or 6 signings. I'm sure they will happening in the coming days, weeks before the deadlines ends. Alot more clubs need more signings then us and some of those don't have Category 1 status Academy producing players of first team quality. 

I disagree we are well behind where we need to be right now. 

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Need to guard against a Conner Mahonney situation though.

Rovers low balled him and there was a long stand off, eventually in come Bournemouth offering 4x his 2k offer.  That was to go and play for their second string and go out on loan.

Plus he got an apartment in a lush area and they sorted out a job for his Mrs.

That's what you are up against if you piss about and these since (since Waggot) we have good form for that.  The lad himself said he would have signed for 4 grand a week because he didn't want to leave.

Rovers wouldn't budge over 2.5k.

Mahoney obviously didn't work out, but if we need to increase the budget on wages to keep Phillips, surely it makes sense to do so.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, neophox said:

Naby Sarr and Michael Hector still without clubs....steady central defenders.

Lys Mousset, only 26 years....free... 

I wouldn't want any of them. Mousett isn't good enough for us. Other 2 I would say no. Decent enough but want better. Someone like Lockyer from Luton is the right age at 27 and experience to be our number 1 centre back 

3 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

In fairness, he cant sign a professional contract until he is 17, so bar offer better terms now, i don't think anything more could of been done.

Rovers biggest issue was publically talking him up 12 months ago, which puts him out there even more as vultures were already circling 

PL scouts would have watched him developing through the age ranks so it was going to hard to keep interest low in him. 

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

A big six club can offer a contract that can set him and his family up for life.

This happens to premier league clubs aswell, losing their prized youngsters to big 6 clubs.Even other day an 18 year old Arsenal were desperate to keep left for Chelsea.

You say "our" journey to becoming the modern day Crewe like we are the only club at risk of losing its better young players to a club with far more financial clout and standing  in the game.

Did I see your post praising the club for convincing Haddow to sign a new deal turning down premier league interest? 

The problem is the rules, making it so easy for another club to poach a young player who has spent a considerable time at their current club 

exactly. Someone like Man Utd or Spurs or Chelsea can offer him double figure weekly wage at his age plus a big signing on fee. I just hope he doesn't up like Callum Wright who joined Leicester and his career has progress aswell I think it would if he had stayed here. Just hope he re-sign here and the big clubs will stay be there if he continue to path here i developing and playing in the first team here.  

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

So if a big 6 club is offering 10-15k a week like they often give top young players then we should match it?

Far more highly rated young players don't live up to their potential than the ones who actually do.

Yes we should be making him a good offer and doing our utmost to get him to put pen to paper but I also don't think the club should be open to too much grief for not being able to compete with one of the top clubs for his signature 

If he's going to be a future star, an England player as is being tipped--yes I would match it.

He plays for us for 3 or 4 years and hopefully helps us get promotion. 

We then get a huge fee for him.

As I said, its about investment. Fail to invest in the squad  and you end up where we are, losing players for nothing and scrambling around in the final hours of the Transfer Window looking for freebies.

Meanwhile even more supporters lose heart and ask what the point is.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It will be success if people actually give it time and patience and don't start judging over a short 5 weeks period but over the long term and improvements going on at the club with all departments under his control. 

Yes we need some transfers in but only around 5 or 6 signings. I'm sure they will happening in the coming days, weeks before the deadlines ends. Alot more clubs need more signings then us and some of those don't have Category 1 status Academy producing players of first team quality. 

I disagree we are well behind where we need to be right now. 

Was your meeting with Waggott this morning or this afternoon?  Looking forward to reading your thoughts and feedback.

Edited by Jimmy612

1 minute ago, 47er said:

If he's going to be a future star, an England player as is being tipped--yes I would match it.

He plays for us for 3 or 4 years and hopefully helps us get promotion. 

We then get a huge fee for him.

As I said, its about investment. Fail to invest in the squad  and you end up where we are, losing players for nothing and scrambling around in the final hours of the Transfer Window looking for freebies.

Meanwhile even more supporters lose heart and ask what the point is.

You realize that paying Phillips 10-15k a week would upset ALL the other players right?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OsloRover said:

You realize that paying Phillips 10-15k a week would upset ALL the other players right?

Like when Shearer got twice what anyone else in he squad got you mean?

No, the other players recognised he was a special talent.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, OsloRover said:

Not sure about this.  He's widely considered a prodigious talent - a potentially generational talent and future England centre half.  He could end up being worth the rest of the squad put together.  They'll also be aware how good this guy is and the type of clubs mooted to be interested.  I think they'd understand, if any of them actually need to know how much he's getting paid.

Still stands to reason, we could go for broke and offer 18k, United would just go to 25k if they valued him so highly.

Edited by Jimmy612
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I don't see it that way. Have you read the article from the new Welsh bloke who has joined us. I thought he made a very good point about youngsters from the very top clubs, not knowing how to defend when the oposition have the ball, because then have very rarely experienced their team, not having the ball. This is a very important point for a defender.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

So let me get this right then, we can't spend money or pay the wages to sign established players, can't pay our existing academy graduates enough to keep them here and out of Championship rivals' hands, and can't tie down the next crop of academy products to contracts.

Can't Do FC in full flow. Is there anything we CAN do other than make excuses?

who says we can't afford wages for established players or keep players like Lenihan or Nyambe? But you got to accept we have a wage structure and we won't break it. In my opinion that is right that no one player is bigger than the club and we shouldn't be over paying wage wise anyone. 

Has Nyambe gone anywhere yet? clearly not rated as highly by other clubs as some people do on here. We offered Lenihan a good contract offer but he reject the offers. Good luck to him there. 

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

The suitors for BBD are dropping like flies... 

Maybe he will sign that new contract here then

9 minutes ago, OsloRover said:

thanks for sharing

1 minute ago, Jimmy612 said:

Good luck. I'm sure you've got your key points and questions lined up - don't let the bugger soft soap you.

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Please don't believe his shit and give in Chaddy.

Don't be going all confidential on us either like others have in the past.

Get the answers we all need, shall we start a thread on the list of questions?

I will respectful to him as I am to anyone but I do have plenty of questions lined up on a range of topics 

No I don't need your questions thanks. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, OsloRover said:

If I was a young player at Rovers I’d be a lot more bothered by the fact we don’t pay our academy graduates enough to keep them here. What message does it send about our pathway when Lenihan, who has been here for years, played over 250 games, become our captain, and gained international recognition has just walked away to a team of similar stature?

They know that they will have to leave at some point to get what they are worth, why not now?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Has Nyambe gone anywhere yet? clearly not rated as highly by other clubs as some people do on here.

So I take it you’d be annoyed if we signed Cyrus Christie then? Or any of the other free agents who haven’t signed anywhere yet. They must not be rated by other clubs either.

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I will respectful to him as I am to anyone but I do have plenty of questions lined up on a range of topics 

No I don't need your questions thanks. 

Have you genuinely got a meeting with Waggott later today?

How did you manage to swing that?