BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Can't help but feel like Styles is this summers Maddison. Would love to be wrong as we need another midfielder.

Possibly, but like all clubs, there's very little we can do if we lose a key man like Travis to injury. You can't just have the equivalent sat on the bench.

We just need to hope we get lucky with injuries. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

JDT is right - you don’t get chosen by managers like Klopp unless there’s something about you 

Looking forward to seeing Morton to be honest, he’s highly rated 

Teams in the Championship have always relied on loans. It’s a sad fact of life here. Let’s not get worked up 

Exactly, can’t just have permanent signings, always going to be a couple of loans. Still players to be signed yet so let’s see what happens this week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Possibly, but like all clubs, there's very little we can do if we lose a key man like Travis to injury. You can't just have the equivalent sat on the bench.

We just need to hope we get lucky with injuries. 

Not an equivalent but at least someone who is a similar type of player.

1 hour ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Hmmmm

Two Completely different types of player and positions though tbf

There's a lot more responsibility in the centre of the park for Morton, where as Elliot was pretty much given a free role to just go out there and strut his stuff😄

Leighton Clarkson arrived with high expectations but he just looked like a boy lost 😞

Hopefully Morton will be a gooden though, nor sure we're hed fit in if Travis and Buckley carry on doing well as a partnership in the centre of the park

You don’t play for Liverpool and Klopp unless you have the ability and he clearly does. His speed skills and sure feet might just benefit us and the way we play Let’s wait and see

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not too sure what to make of this Morton signing, mainly I can't help but be underwhelmed at the likely prospect of Morton being our sole midfield recruit, that would leave us very short of options in there, I thought we were last year so to expect Morton to replace Rothwell with kids replacing squad members would leave us looking lightweight in there to say the least. Travis cannot get injured or banned.

I don't swallow this theory that it blocks our own youngsters, if they are good enough they will break through. There has to be an emphasis on the here and now and I would question whether Garrett/Wharton would have made appearances against the likes of AC Milan and Spurs. If Morton is better than our current options then get him.

I must say that the current recruitment lacks the imagination we were all under the impression would unfold upon a new foreign manager and crucially a director of football being appointed. Totally acknowledge the restrictions notably work permit issues and a lack of time but a full back from relegated Barnsley who Mowbray had previously tried to sign, a playmaker from Peterborough and following tradition, a kid on loan from Liverpool could have easily been a window from summers gone by.

Looking at replacements for who has vacated, obviously assuming that Szmodics does sign, are we better off or worse? Szmodics replaces perhaps the easiest of the 5/6 primary absentees in Khadra who was one of our biggest threats but forever injured, can Szmodics at the third time of asking step up to Championship level. Nyambe had strengths and weaknesses, is Brittain going to be any better? And the least confident I am of the 3, can Morton be expected to fill the Rothwell void? We are still left with Van Hecke and Lenihan shaped voids, our player of the season and captain, and probably our only goal threat from last season.

Of course there are many additional factors, the new manager, a new formation, players returning from injuries, players inevitably succumbing to injuries and positional changes. But interesting to see what people think about the signings so far compared to last seasons equivalents?

Good post. 

The positive is there is still a way to go and you would like to think JDT is a tad more focussed on getting players for a formation and plan rather than just those who an be developed. That makes it not the panic stations it was under TM. I've a bit more trust (maybe misplaced) that players on loan from Liverpool and raiding the relegated sides isn't just laziness and habit from JDT and that the similarities are coincidence. If we get an overpriced player with Boro connections however I'll start to worry... 

The negative is, as you say, there is still a lot of work to do even just to stand still. We still haven't replaced Armstrong and Bereton will need replacing either now or in the summer, so you feel there is still a hell of a lot to do before the window closes.

And it all depends on if he is backed. I'll believe it when I see it but you have to hope that the new structure gets us a few gems otherwise what's the point in it. 

11 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

You don’t play for Liverpool and Klopp unless you have the ability and he clearly does. His speed skills and sure feet might just benefit us and the way we play Let’s wait and see

To be fair, Leighton Clarkson had also played for their first team, as much as I am keen to avoid that lazy comparison.

10 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Good post. 

The positive is there is still a way to go and you would like to think JDT is a tad more focussed on getting players for a formation and plan rather than just those who an be developed. That makes it not the panic stations it was under TM. I've a bit more trust (maybe misplaced) that players on loan from Liverpool and raiding the relegated sides isn't just laziness and habit from JDT and that the similarities are coincidence. If we get an overpriced player with Boro connections however I'll start to worry... 

The negative is, as you say, there is still a lot of work to do even just to stand still. We still haven't replaced Armstrong and Bereton will need replacing either now or in the summer, so you feel there is still a hell of a lot to do before the window closes.

And it all depends on if he is backed. I'll believe it when I see it but you have to hope that the new structure gets us a few gems otherwise what's the point in it. 

Mowbray was quite successful in the loan market to be fair and there was always more of an onus on the loan market in the absence of funds. Hopefully this summer, there won't be as much focus on the loan market and we can get more permanent deals done.

I may be wrong but didn't Broughton acknowledge that Brittain had been on the list before his appointment so I think the similarities are more than coincidence. Lets hope more creativity in the market follows.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think 3 central midfielders for 2 positions over 46 games is leaving us very short.

It certainly means that we'll be asking Garrett and Wharton to play non-trivial amounts of football. 

If we rate them enough then you can't get in their way too much, but I'd be more comfortable with one more senior player there. 

I don’t mind loan signings if they are to bulk out the squad, if we sign 6 and 2 are loans I have no issue. The problem comes when we sign 6 and 5 of them are loans because you end up having to find 5 signings minimum again next summer.

based on some of the comments this won’t please people but lots of similarities to Farke first season at Norwich. Lots of first teamers left and a new football structure and style of play was put in place they finished 14th they then won the league the next season. I could see a similar season for us (14th) while JDT implements what he wants and Gregg provides the players required over 2/3 windows.

the big question would then be is JDT anywhere near Farke as a manager and can he push on. Id imagine his project talk would grate on plenty of people if it’s backed up by multiple seasons of mediocrity. Exactly the same as Mowbrays journey comments, nobody minded it first season back up from league 1 but rightly so after 4 mid table finishes people questioned exactly what this journey was.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I forgot Wolves where even in the prem 😂 

Think he'd actually be a decent fit there, at least he'd be more likely to get game time

But they all needs to put up or shut up though.