BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Morton has me very underwhelmed to be honest, but then so did van Hecke and Khadra.

But it really felt like Wharton and Garrett were close to proving themselves, now we get to develop another teams player once again.

Wharton and garret are just coming in yes we have a great academy but Liverpool being one of the top 4 biggest clubs in the world will obviously have quality from theirs that will yes won’t compete with like Harvey Elliot 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

People keep saying such-and-such isn't a direct replacement for BBD. We've no idea if JDT wants a direct replacement, he may want someone more like Szmodics who is more of a midfielder than BBD. 

I agree, people are forgetting this lark with BBD wide left and Gally right was for a false 9 system  created  by TM.

As good as he is Brereton spends a lot of game time contributing nothing so i'm sure JDT will want to evolve the style, that's why he's here.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I may be wrong but didn't Broughton acknowledge that Brittain had been on the list before his appointment so I think the similarities are more than coincidence. Lets hope more creativity in the market follows.

Didn't realise this. This is a tad discouraging. 

• Like 2

Excited by the Morton signing, we've done well to bag him as he really was on the brink of being involved more in their first team. He looked a fair bit taller than Clarkson from what I remember although not particularly bulky. 

Surely people would rather have players like Morton forming part of the squad rather than older players drawing big wages like Johnson last season?

There'll be another signing this week (minimum) and I think people will start to relax a bit and feel more positive as the sticker book fills up.

I'm surprised none of the promoted teams are sniffing round Van Hecke as they've seen the bugger play, perhaps not Fulham though after his capers at Ewood 😕 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I may be wrong but didn't Broughton acknowledge that Brittain had been on the list before his appointment so I think the similarities are more than coincidence. Lets hope more creativity in the market follows.

Yeah, that's right. Brittain was already a club target from a previous window. Puts things into perspective a bit.

Of course, he still has time to get things right. As it stands though, Morton on loan is his only incoming, and that is a move that isn't exactly revolutionary compared to what has been seen in previous windows.

• Like 1

I would love to have Van Hecke back at the club, I wonder if Charlie Goode is still on the list. I know TM wanted him a few years ago before he signed for Brentford. Spent last season on loan at Sheffield United. 

9 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Excited by the Morton signing, we've done well to bag him as he really was on the brink of being involved more in their first team. He looked a fair bit taller than Clarkson from what I remember although not particularly bulky. 

Surely people would rather have players like Morton forming part of the squad rather than older players drawing big wages like Johnson last season?

There'll be another signing this week (minimum) and I think people will start to relax a bit and feel more positive as the sticker book fills up.

I'm surprised none of the promoted teams are sniffing round Van Hecke as they've seen the bugger play, perhaps not Fulham though after his capers at Ewood 😕 

Why is that the only option, a young loanee or an older player on big wages? Surely there is a middle ground, especially if we have money to spend.

For me especially in the heart of midfield, we could do with at least 4 so for me, Morton could have been a much more comfortable addition with another midfielder aswell.

Johnson clearly was over the hill last season (although was excellent as a steady head at home to QPR) so he is an extreme example but we could have for me done with an older head perhaps, someone who could more than contribute and give a very inexperienced side (especially when Ayala hibernates in a month or two) a bit of know how, even if he doesn't usually start but he can come in as and when. Hourihane was mentioned and in the absence of anyone more suitable for the role in my immediate mind, I would have been happy with him and a younger body to give us some real strength in there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Yeah, that's right. Brittain was already a club target from a previous window. Puts things into perspective a bit.

Of course, he still has time to get things right. As it stands though, Morton on loan is his only incoming, and that is a move that isn't exactly revolutionary compared to what has been seen in previous windows.

Brittain was a player the recruitment department suggested last summer and in January. Both times rejected by Mowbray.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Based on this then you wouldn’t want van hecke back? Not revolutionary enough for your liking. 

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why is that the only option, a young loanee or an older player on big wages? Surely there is a middle ground, especially if we have money to spend.

For me especially in the heart of midfield, we could do with at least 4 so for me, Morton could have been a much more comfortable addition with another midfielder aswell.

Johnson clearly was over the hill last season (although was excellent as a steady head at home to QPR) so he is an extreme example but we could have for me done with an older head perhaps, someone who could more than contribute and give a very inexperienced side (especially when Ayala hibernates in a month or two) a bit of know how, even if he doesn't usually start but he can come in as and when. Hourihane was mentioned and in the absence of anyone more suitable for the role in my immediate mind, I would have been happy with him and a younger body to give us some real strength in there.

You can’t throw money at everything you have choices to make based off the budget we have. To be honest me personally I like the midfield with Travis, Buckley, Hedges/Smozdic/ Dack so having a a player to sign taking off our budget i wouldn’t actually do. I would much rather have a cheap loan and sign or allocate the budget towards a Van hecke who would walk into our starting 11 over another midfielder. I would like us to use the budget for a central defender, a left winger if BBD goes and a striker 

18 minutes ago, pick32 said:

If we don’t replace BBD with a striker it’s relegation nailed on, not even an argument about it, Markandy, Gallagher and Vale Can’t keep a team in this division 

Markanday and Vale untested at this level so you can’t say for sure. Dolan has a few goals in him too as will Hedges. OTT mate. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Buckley and Travis are pretty much the first names on the team sheet you would have thought. JDT clearly sees something in Wharton so he'll be around the first team, as will Garrett. I'm not fully convinced by Edun but I guess you'd also list him as an option there. 

Hourihane wouldn't displace either Buckley or Travis in midfield so would be an expensive aging bench warmer. I would have much preferred Seri if we were looking for some experience but that ships also sailed.

• Like 1

I think even with Morton we’re a body light in there. A Travis injury (inevitable the way he goes into challenges) and we’re extremely lightweight in there.

40 minutes ago, pick32 said:

If we don’t replace BBD with a striker it’s relegation nailed on, not even an argument about it, Markandy, Gallagher and Vale Can’t keep a team in this division 

It looks like JDT may be abandoning the false 9 formation from last season judging by his picking Vale to play there. 

Adam Armstrong would have been perfect in there this season with his pressing, pace and goals. Is he still languishing in Soton reserves?

If take him on a season loan!

Edited by Colt Seavers
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Because as it stands they have to get much better players in hence the huge expenditure of forest - Bournemouth are already down 😅