BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

I don't think jdt wants a slow build.  He's not a bullshiter like Mowbray, he's ambitious.  He's basically a winner that wants success now.  Mowbray was more interested in filling his pockets. They have to back him with some dough. Otherwise it's back to the likes of coyle and another decade of crap

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Which is a very fair assumption, but we've been burnt before when we have expected to sign players..days tick by..then its deadline day and we get excited for a busy day and nothing happens 

Hopefully under the new regime its very different 

I’m a critic of Rovers, I like the Trust’s definition of a “critical friend”. I think we’ve got a lot of decisions really, really wrong over the past 10 years and often have struggled to get even the basics right. 

But we have to give them a chance. The new approach is a huge change and it won’t happen over 1 window or even 1 season. If we’re not going to give them a chance to change/improve things then the entire thing is a waste of time and we should have just let Mowbray plod along for another 3 years. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

I don't think jdt wants a slow build.  He's not a bullshiter like Mowbray, he's ambitious.  He's basically a winner that wants success now.  Mowbray was more interested in filling his pockets. They have to back him with some dough. Otherwise it's back to the likes of coyle and another decade of crap

Then why is he always talking about the ‘project’? What he’s saying in interviews directly contradicts this, so I struggle to see how you can come to this assumption unless you think he’s bullshitting the press about the ‘project’. 

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

Then why is he always talking about the ‘project’? What he’s saying in interviews directly contradicts this, so I struggle to see how you can come to this assumption unless you think he’s bullshitting the press about the ‘project’. 

The project has many  conatations. He could mean promotion then stabilising the club from there. I don't think he wants to be a championship manager for the next 3 years

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roverandout said:

The project has many  conatations. He could mean promotion then stabilising the club from there. I don't think he wants to be a championship manager for the next 3 years

Maybe, but I disagree. My understanding from reading / listening to him is he sees this as at least a couple of seasons before he can get promoted. It wouldn’t surprise me based on his career at Malmo if he got us promoted, secured us into the Premier League then walked away and that was the end of his “project”. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, J*B said:

If we talk about managerial eras then you’re right, so far they haven’t. But they might be doing now under JDT. Mowbray mentioned it, as did Waggott and they’re right, FFP means that we can’t just buy our way out the league and our income - which could and should be increased by the CEO, but that’s a different story - means that we cannot just buy our way out the league. We need some sort of a plan. 

You would have Gregg has the autonomy and the power to insist mistakes like all of the above don’t happen. If he doesn’t, you’re right, we will just continue making the same mistakes over and over. It encourages me that GB and JDT are the first people truly hired by Suhail. Now they’re his decisions, we might let them actually run it. 

They are and we need some loans. But they shouldn’t be at the detriment of our own young players (see Mowbray refusing to play Travis / Buckley / Carter / Wharton and bringing in short term loans instead) and shouldn’t be such key players that when we inevitably lose them we need a full overhaul of playing style (see Elliott). 

Its all down to Venkys changing their ways and not interfering whilst being consistent in reinvestment.

Those young players are all first teamers with the latter 2 having benefitted from regular game time elsewhere whilst we had better replacements temporarily and the first 2 became regulars under him.

12 minutes ago, J*B said:

I heard an interview earlier, on radio Lancs, when he described it as "a journey". 

Pick the bones out of that one. 

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It was quite clear from my post that I am giving him the platform to prove himself but I merely commented that I have not been wowed from his first 3 games in which he hasn't really stood out. We need big things from him coming for a relatively hefty fee. If you have no business in making judgements after games (which is hypocritical as Miller11 points out) then just scroll past, shutting down my opinion because he has yet to play what you perceive to be the correct number of games to judge isn't very constructive.

He was good in his first 2 games for me. No problem with people commenting on games performances but writing off players like Pickering is unfair like some people did. 

Just because teams haven't made signings this week (are the 2 Delap and Fosu at Stoke?) doesn't mean that they haven't across the course of the summer. But I was on about us and we desperately need players in, I would fear for Phillips for whom it is a big ask for him to go again for a third game in a week in which he has failed to last the full match twice and against a tough opposition.

It's shows where the current championship transfer market is and if you want quality players sometimes have to wait. 

Did you watch the game last night? And if so, what did you make of Vale's performance?

Yes watch the game tonight back on Rovers TV. Its was poor performance overall by the team

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

It's a crying shame that JDT isn't going to get the backing that Mowbray got for 3 years. Just imagine what he could do with the depth and options Mowbray was able to bring in.

Maybe wait till after the transfer window ends before we make such a judgement.

I reckon we spent around 8 to 10 million by end of the transfer window. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

He was good in his first 2 games for me. No problem with people commenting on games performances but writing off players like Pickering is unfair like some people did. 

Yes watch the game tonight back on Rovers TV. Its was poor performance overall by the team

I reckon we spent around 8 to 10 million by end of the transfer window. 

Pickering was crap last season too, numerous games he let wingers do what they want

Again, you were advocating Vale starting ahead of Dack....now you're kind of rowing back again..🙈  he asked you about Vale who was diabolical.

Hope so Chaddy, obviously it won't happen.

• Like 3

I think the journey or project is the pitch pushed onto the managers by those behind the scenes.

Mowbray and JDT bought into it, Lambert and numerous managers interviewed this time around didn't.  I don't think JDT of GB suddenly arrived in town out of the blue with a plan in hand.  Mowbray just made his own version up as he went along the narrative for both however was already here, in the hands of a shadow man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J*B said:

The project is to get us back into the Premier League. He talks about having to be patient because he's walked through the doors of Brockhall and seen the lads on the pitch. He knows we're well short, but he also knows it's not a great league and promotion is attainable with the right acquisitions. 

That said, that semi-permanent smile on his face will disappear if the transfer window shuts without significant reinforcements through the door. He didn't leave Malmo to take us on a mid-table journey.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I think the journey or project is the pitch pushed onto the managers by those behind the scenes.

Mowbray and JDT bought into it, Lambert and numerous managers interviewed this time around didn't.  I don't think JDT of GB suddenly arrived in town out of the blue with a plan in hand.  Mowbray just made his own version up as he went along the narrative for both however was already here, in the hands of a shadow man.

Venus was our de-facto Director of Football and Mowbray had almost free reign. As I've said multiple times on here, the Blackburn Rovers manager job is an incredibly plum one.

The optimist in me thinks that transfers are so slow to get over the line because Broughton and JDT are carefully planning for the future with the wage structure in mind - I don't like to buy into the conspiracy theories that the taps have been turned off and we're penniless. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Venus was our de-facto Director of Football and Mowbray had almost free reign. As I've said multiple times on here, the Blackburn Rovers manager job is an incredibly plum one.

The optimist in me thinks that transfers are so slow to get over the line because Broughton and JDT are carefully planning for the future with the wage structure in mind - I don't like to buy into the conspiracy theories that the taps have been turned off and we're penniless. 

Most of the signings seem to have been from the already compiled list so apart from getting a few over the line we are still waiting for something significant from Broughton imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Just because we lost doesnt mean we should have been looking to win and been frustrated with anything less.

They lost 4 nil to Rotherham at the weekend, have Paul Ince as manager and their team is poor with the worst keeper in the league and a scattergun mixture of unwanted journeyman and a bench (aside from the unexpected return of Joao) of kids.

Its a bad reflection on us that we played so poor.

You mention a partial Brentford model but Venkys would need to consistently commit to that and they clearly havent to date.

We could have made a huge profit on Rothwell with far less than 19 months on his deal and the owners stupidly intervened. We dont know if they will stubbornly do the same with Brereton. They also have a random policy in terms of budgets where often they have allowed no investment or even reinvestment of big incoming fees rather than encouraging a consistent churn of selling for big money, reinvesting a percentage and using the rest to offset losses.

Also, loans are a necessary evil, many promoted teams have had a sprinkling of loanees.

To be fair most on here wanted to keep Rothwell to give it a go…obviously that didn’t work. But all 3 had offers on the table and none signed. We had to decide, while sitting in automatic promotion position, sell 3 of the starting 11 that got us there or take a shot at promotion by keeping the side together. Would have been better to tie all three down 18 months before but that option had already passed 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Most of the signings seem to have been from the already compiled list so apart from getting a few over the line we are still waiting for something significant from Broughton imo

He is director of football not Head of  recruitment. He has done plenty as Phili has said. 

5 hours ago, phili said:

He's not head of recruitment but DOF, so far he has recruited JDT, new head of recruitment, new medical team, new analysis team, sorted out updating all of the equipment at Brockall etc. 

He's done an awful lot, just sadly only signed 3 players so far.

I agree entirely with this summary.

The beauty of a multi layered management structure.

However from comments made by JDT it is clear that he, our team coach, looks to Broughton for progress on the recruitment front as Broughton is the one with recruitment oversight.

It's a good thing that JDT has the balls to put GB in the cross hairs and make him accountable.

I look forward to the spending of up to 10 million by the end of this window which some other posters deem likely.

We shall see.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, J*B said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if we end this window having spent between 8M and 10M.

That’s a budget not seen at this football club in years, I’d be astonished and angry if we spent that sort of money now.

We had the best opportunity in 12yrs to go up last season and they failed to back the manager, if they do it now I’d be absolutely fuming and convinced the plan is to remain in Championship.

• Like 2