BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

9 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

He's on record throughout his five years as saying he had to reign Venky's in when they wanted to spend more money, that he left some in budgets so he didn't waste their money etc.

Waggot was on public record saying he had over a million left in the pot pre covid after that Jan window because Tony didn't spend it.

That came from the horses mouth in an interview and when covid hit a few moths later they extended the contracts of several players who were never going to play.

That's how Mowbray worked he was a players man a good steady hand but very little actual ambition other than to protect his own status quo.  I can fully believe he'd always try and leave some in the pot if in his mind he thought he was keeping the owners onside.  I can 100% believe he would never ask for substantial funds to go for a promotion push and make himself fully accountable.

Other side of the coin i think if he was given 2 million and told to spend it he would've done.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gav said:

You make a good point Jimmy and to be honest I have no idea, but when a transfer fee was involved he usually bought well, his record is pretty good, you missed Dack of your list who was brilliant from day one, Kaminski too, Ayala when he plays, but we'll never know. 

If Venkys give JDT 8-10m to spend this season every Rovers fan should be up in arms, they're taking the piss out of us if they do that given where we found ourselves in January and plug was pulled. 

Gav, I know you like to get up i arms but if JDT gets £8-10m to spend I won't be joining you.

Maybe, like most of us on here, they knew Mobray was going to blow it like the choker he was. If JDT does get some money that suggests to me they'll clearly have more confidence in him than they had for Mowbray as the dying embers of his reign fizzled out.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
17 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

He's on record throughout his five years as saying he had to reign Venky's in when they wanted to spend more money, that he left some in budgets so he didn't waste their money etc.

I’m sure he is, like I’m saying though- he must be the first manager in history to not spend all his budget if that’s the case!

9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Brittain was a championship player and isn't the Szmodic deal a fee rising to £2.5 Million...it's hardly a few hundred grand is it?

Bloody hell, I'm sure the Szmodics fee rises by £500k a day!

I'd be very surprised if we have paid over £1 million for him at this juncture. Of course it ''might" get higher in years to come if certain things happen. We just don't know on that, just like we don't know on what the true fee is.

Brittain came from Barnsley who aren't in the Championship. A good signing on the evidence so far yes but still one from the model - young, developing, mainly experienced in the lower levels.

Edited by JHRover

47 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Actually it's going almost exactly as I predicted it would. I said we would do similar to recent windows which is to sign a few younger end or from League One for a few hundred grand each like with Markandy, Davenport, Pickering and Edun. Looks like we've continued that with Brittain and Szmodics. Also continuing to rely heavily on loans which makes a mockery of the building claim.

All this goes hand in hand with continued talk of good budgets, and rumours of big names being targeted, but at the end of the day little to no evidence to back that up with results.

This summer it is the lad who went to Sheff Utd and Styles/Van Hecke. Previous years it was Assombalonga, Kipre and co.

We spend nearly 1 million on a upgrade on Nyambe in Brittain. he's 24 years old so hardly younger end or a few hundred grand is it. Same with Szmodics is might cost around 2 to 2.5 million plus he 27 years old so yet again dpesn't fit what you are saying. 

We made 1 loan so hardly rely heavily on loans is it? I expect another one with Van Der Berg maybe another one but I think we make 4-5 permanent signings. 

If you want quality signings sometimes you wait to secure them cos of the transfer situation at that club and if you look at the current situation regarding championship signings so very quiet. Patience is required from us and time to judge is 2nd of September 

Ahmedhodzic want to Sheff United cos they could pay more wage more despite him knowing JDT due to the relegation parachute payments they get 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

Gav, I know you like to get up i arms but if JDT gets £8-10m to spend I won't be joining you.

Maybe, like most of us on here, they knew Mobray was going to blow it like the choker he was. If JDT does get some money that suggests to me they'll clearly have more confidence in him than they had for Mowbray as the dying embers of his reign fizzled out.

You have much more faith in Venkys ability to judge a manager than I have yeti. 

A club sitting 2nd in the division at Christmas, playing some good football and winning week in week out, to not back the manager at that stage? A manager that has used transfer funds really well, you support that decision?

Mowbray was marmite on here I understand that, but your stance makes little or no sense to me with the greatest of respect.

I doubt we'll ever have a better opportunity than last season to make that step up, I hope I'm wrong of course, but I won't hold my breath. 

Edited by Gav

Silence is deafening on the transfer front. No links and no activity. I know were pretty good at keeping things quiet but given how small the squad is and after getting found out midweek its worrying there haven't even been any rumors arise since. 

I suspect all is not well behind the scenes. Hopefully JDT doesnt see his arse soon. 

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'd be very surprised if we have paid over £1 million for him at this juncture. Of course it ''might" get higher in years to come if certain things happen. We just don't know on that, just like we don't know on what the true fee is.

Brittain came from Barnsley who aren't in the Championship. A good signing on the evidence so far yes but still one from the model - young, developing, mainly experienced in the lower levels.

Aye, apparently he cost us £5 million in signing on fees, rising to the entire GDP of a small South American nation by the year 2025.

Smoggy Szmodic will come good imo, once he works out where his game fits the Championship style.

Edited by Guest
I'm fat, I'm round, I roll around the ground, Big Baddie, Big Daddy!

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We spend nearly 1 million on a upgrade on Nyambe in Brittain.

You’ve confidently stated this since we bought him, and I really hope you are right.

Any more performances like the one on Wednesday and this statement is going to look very premature though.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

A fee rising to £2.5 million was the price quoted when the lad signed.Fry confirmed they had turned down bids of over a million from us for him prior to us agreeing a fee

Brittain has spent the last few seasons at Championship level he is also 24 hardly a youngster 

Edited by islander200

10 minutes ago, benhben said:

Silence is deafening on the transfer front. No links and no activity. I know were pretty good at keeping things quiet but given how small the squad is and after getting found out midweek its worrying there haven't even been any rumors arise since. 

I suspect all is not well behind the scenes. Hopefully JDT doesnt see his arse soon. 

Silence doesn’t mean much, was deafening silence in the RB front until 25 hours before Brittain was holding a Rovers shirt 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

You’ve confidently stated this since we bought him, and I really hope you are right.

Any more performances like the one on Wednesday and this statement is going to look very premature though.

Think it’s unfair to target any individuals from Wednesday, a genuinely woeful team performance, JDT got his game plan wrong 

45 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Don’t understand Broughton .. know we are waiting on the 2 Vans but what’s stopping him filling other positions ……it’s hampering JDT as he expects 4/5 players ….

Funds, they are negotiating for JPVH as a permanent signing from Brighton, once that is complete they will then know what's left at the moment Brighton are after £7m and we are some way off.

I sense JPVH may have to be a special request for more funds from Venky's.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Nope the Szmodics fee has been reported as 2.5 mill from the start. Occasionally a poster here claims to know the makeup of the deal and that it only reaches 2.5 mill if certain clauses are met etc. But 2.5 mill was mentioned even before the deal completed. Brittain has consistently been said to be at least a mill. As someone said, not a few hundred grand. You may have been right about what leagues we would shop in, but you were very wrong about what we would spend. You should just admit it, you lose credibility every time you fail to.

2 minutes ago, phili said:

Funds, they are negotiating for JPVH as a permanent signing from Brighton, once that is complete they will then know what's left at the moment Brighton are after £7m and we are some way off.

£7M is too much. He's worth £5M imo. £4 would be a bargain.

However Brighton might feel they have us over a barrel.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, phili said:

I wouldn't be paying anything like 7m tbf.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Don’t understand Broughton .. know we are waiting on the 2 Vans but what’s stopping him filling other positions ……it’s hampering JDT as he expects 4/5 players ….

You're alive!!

1 minute ago, phili said:

Whoah that's some real inside info - 100% solid?

£7m seems a bit steep. Drop downs from Prem U23 to Championship usually somewhere around £2-4 M (e.g. Tosin, Reed). I can't see anyone paying anywhere near £7m. Don't think there is anyone interested except us also?

• Like 4