BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I understand this, but Phillips needs a loan in league 2, understand the physicality of men's football and how to win a header.

He got bullied on Wednesday by some shite shite players.

My Reading mates reckon that's one of the worst performances they've ever seen from a Centre Back.

Hopefully Spurs were watching.

• Like 1

I thought Phillips played very well against Long who’s a wily old pro. The reason we lost was we where overrun in midfield and didn’t have a threat upfront, not because we defended poorly. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

If it was rising to 7m I wouldn't want it to cost more than about 3m guaranteed. As a flat fee I'd say he's worth about 4m based on his career to date and what he showed last year. 7m and 5 good seasons would mean we were paying 1.4m per season in fee alone, before wages. I wouldn't pay that for a loanee. So no I wouldn't consider that a bargain unless we sold him on for similar or more at the end of that.

Only 23 though. After 5 years still a very saleable proposition for a centre-back.

25 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We need to be careful here. We could bet the ranch on a player who a month or two down the line decides he doesn’t want to be here anymore. What were we prepared to pay for the lad who went to Sheff Utd ? Is Van Hecke twice as good ?

Agreed. I would love to see Van Hecke return, but there is a possibility that could happen based on current circumstances.

I think it was £3m for the Bosnian defender. I'm sceptical about that myself, but that's another matter. Apparently, it was the wages that we couldn't match. It would be interesting to know how much Sheff Utd are paying him. It was rumoured that we were prepared to pay £26k a week to Ben Davies and that we made Lenihan a late offer of £22k a week.

If true, how much more was Ahmedhodzic after? If he's on £30k plus over there, then I can understand it. I've seen a site claim he is on £25k, I don't know how reliable that is though. The Sheff Utd fans seem to love him anyway and it sounds like we have missed out on a good 'un. I haven't seen him play, but I guess we'll get to see how good he is tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

I thought Phillips played very well against Long who’s a wily old pro. The reason we lost was we where overrun in midfield and didn’t have a threat upfront, not because we defended poorly.

We were overrun in midfield, the attack was AWOL and we defended badly on all 3 goals plus other chances they missed.

For example the defensive header by Pickering to set up Hoilett was beyond pathetic.

Phillips was only partly to blame, he didn't have a good game but he's a talent for sure 

15 minutes ago, J*B said:

And because when we had the ball, our players weren’t showing for the ball and were all stood 30+ yards away. 

• Like 1

If we’re a million or two short on the JPvH deal, ship Carter off to Portsmouth - they think he’s the second coming down there.

If the other Van from Merseyside pulls up as well, we will have plenty of quality cover to play either a 4 or a 5, with Ayala’s annual injuries also covered.

In short, it’s a deal that needs to happen.

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I understand this, but Phillips needs a loan in league 2, understand the physicality of men's football and how to win a header.

My Reading mates reckon that's one of the worst performances they've ever seen from a Centre Back.

your reading mates can`t have been watching the others then who contributed to us being put under pressure for 80 minutes against a bunch of journeymen,phillips,ayala and travis were the only ones who come out with any credit from wednesday night

Just now, roversfan99 said:

People IMO are judging Phillips as a 17 year old rookie rather than just as another player, which I somewhat understand. He was out of his depth unfortunately.

I also thought that Travis was really poor after 3 outstanding performances prior.

Phillips shouldn't be playing really, the mismanagement at the club has put us in this position where we feel that over promoting him will keep him....obviously to the detriment of the team.    People need to realise that against Hartlepool for a 17 he didn't put a foot wrong....some 20 year olds can't get a loan to Hartlepool......obviously AP isn't ready for the cut and thrust of the championship....

We are in a impossible position with him.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I can only guess that this illogical rumour that Mowbray declined to spend significant funds put forward is a way of trying to gain some hope that big money must be spent this summer as a result.

Bad guess! I think its people saying what a crap manager we had.

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

They must have had nothing but class CBs at Reading over the years then, maybe we should look there for a signing, as I've seen many, many worse CB performances sadly.

• Like 1

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Phillips shouldn't be playing really, the mismanagement at the club has put us in this position where we feel that over promoting him will keep him....obviously to the detriment of the team.    People need to realise that against Hartlepool for a 17 he didn't put a foot wrong....some 20 year olds can't get a loan to Hartlepool......obviously AP isn't ready for the cut and thrust of the championship....

We are in a impossible position with him.

Well he won't get any 1st team opportunities at Spurs! I think its a matter of agreeing a wage both sides feel that they can justify and then gradually bringing him on.

We'll get a big pay-off in the end and he'll be a top star.

• Like 1

The 12pm deadline to sign someone who can play tomorrow has passed. 

I know we will have long term (permanent) and short term (loan for the rest of the season) targets, but I don’t understand why we haven’t got a premier league centre back on loan for a month. With all the games coming up we shouldn’t only have Ayala (old and injury prone) and Phillips (17 and possible getting his head turned) as centre back options for the third game in a row 

Edited by all you need is duff
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy612 said:

Haha, I love this massive split.  Those that are convinced TM had money available and blew our promotion chances by stubbornly refusing to spend it..... and those on the other side of the fence who are convinced TM crawled over broken glass to beg for support, only for the overlords to banish him from their sight.

Sort of passive aggressive messages throughout the thread - Rev on one side, Gav on the other, trying to bait each other from a distance. 

Difference is, Gav is purely guessing because he hates the owners and it suits his agenda. My belief that there was a substantial budget available in January (in addition to the widely publicised bonuses) comes from specific information received. I wouldn't just have made it up without being told something either way.

People can scoff at that if they like, that's their prerogative, but it seems various other people received similar information regarding the situation in January.

Similarly, I believe there is a very decent budget for a non parachute team that has been made available this window as well. So far Waggott and Broughton haven't really delivered despite the fact £4m has already been spent and whilst it is still possible that we'll get the four or five quality players in we need over the next twelve days, I'm starting to doubt it will happen as our need for players is so urgent that if we were determined enough to make the deals happen you'd have thought the respective players would be here by now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwlrovers said:

If we got JPVH and van den Berg, perhaps we'll play 3 at the back more often?

Yeah would be a quality lineup

Kaminski

SVDB      JPVH     S Wharton

Brittain     Buckley   Travis    Morton    Styles

Hedges    Brereton

Subs :  Pears, Ayala, Pickering, A Wharton, Dack, Gallagher, Sammie

Squad :  Phillips, Markanday, Edun, Dolan, Vale, Garett, Carter, 

Would be a good team & bench with promising squad players.... Robust enough to play 4231, 433, 343, 352. 

If we could land SVDB, JPVH and Styles I think that would be an excellent window. 

Find the idea that we are lining up a loan forward a bit weird considering we have too many attackers already, unless it is getting ready for BBD to go. 

• Like 3

There surely comes a point especially as various staff members change over the years that the penny drops as to the common denominator behind any long lasting problems. 

These whispers have become gospel about substantial budgets not being spent, even though Mowbray moaned (and sympathised with the owners) throughout last summer about no reinvestment of the Armstrong money then moaned again when he wasnt given autonomy to sell Rothwell and reinvest. It doesnt make sense that we had lots of money unspent. But either way, Mowbray is gone now so any spending less than what is expected will be put down to new members of staff by some.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Kaminski

Hedges    Brereton

Would be a good team & bench with promising squad players.... Robust enough to play 4231, 433, 343, 352. 

If we could land SVDB, JPVH and Styles I think that would be an excellent window. 

Find the idea that we are lining up a loan forward a bit weird considering we have too many attackers already, unless it is getting ready for BBD to go. 

We definitely need a forward, whether Brereton goes or not he plays from the left anyway. Gallagher is average and Vale out of his depth.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, phili said:

I think around £3-4m is what we have offered and probably what the deal ends up being at but sadly the fee won't reduce till the last day of the window. 

Info is solid but still keep being told we are still in for Styles and have enquired about a European based Striker on loan but don't have a name as yet.

I think your info is extremely reliable my friend. I believe we have offered slightly more than that for JPVH but it's still a long way shy of what Brighton wanted originally so who knows if that will get done this window. Especially if he now has family issues.

Also think we're still in for Styles, VDB from Liverpool and a young Europen based Central  striker as you say.

As none of them have so far landed, I'm starting to get rather worried. If we haven't been able to get the deals done by now, how is that magically going to change over the next twelve days?

Seems to me a drastic rethink is required either in terms of what's necessary to get the deals over the line or in terms of different personnel. They can't be the only quality players available at this stage.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

He missed every single header, he got bullied unfortunately. 

Only player in defence that comes out looking well is Ayala.

However Ayala moaned at every single player for his misplaced pass

17 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Kaminski

Hedges    Brereton

Crikey there's not many goals in there