BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

The intentions were clear when we were 2nd in January (it doesn't get much better than that!) and spent 750k on permanent players. We learned a lot about the club then IMO and the players will have too. Hedges was already lined up as a squad player when the expectations were lower and the other got injured with the window still open, it was massively uninspiring and the players stopped believing.  

Would you sign a new deal if you felt capable of playing in the Premier League but your club makes it clear mid season that they will do very little to help themselves get there? If I were good enough I'd have no interest. Armstrong, Brereton and Rothwell all agree. I'm not buying the it was there but Mowbray chose not to spend it nonsense. This is promotion to the Premier League we're talking about.

What position do we need to be in to take it seriously... 1st in January seemingly and I'm not even sure we'd go after it then! Yes it still gets to me, as that was a surprise position off the back of spending very little in the summer and selling Armstrong. What an opportunity it was, we all knew it and we had to capitalise!

There needs to be a major culture change, Broughton has a lot to do and so far we aren't seeing it.

Right now there is evidence of either a lack of ability to identify talent and close deals or a lack of financial backing from the owners, nothing else. Both of those things have to come together quickly.

and what's Waggott doing these days? That's an extra 2k a week for Ash Phillips right there.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Hasta said:

Agree on all of that.

But if on transfer deadline day we’ve brought nobody in, would you say we don’t want Van Hecke on loan, it’s either permanent or nothing?

Depends on who else we've brought in at CB at that point. If we'd made a solid enough looking permanent CB signing in addition, fair enough.

But to flip your question round a bit, would you be happy with the notion of Lenihan being replaced by a loanee.

That would be more can kicking down the road and another player not properly replaced for me.

6 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

and what's Waggott doing these days? That's an extra 2k a week for Ash Phillips right there.

£5k - £6k p.w.

Edit: But didn't someone claim the other week he has a contract until 2025? 

That was money well spent.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I took his original post to mean he wanted one permanent CB signing and a CB loanee to put us back in the same position as we were last season.

And I'd agree with that.

Read like he would take a centre-back on loan but not Van Hecke!

The longer JpvH holds out on signing a new extension at Brighton the more likely it is he will come here on a permanent deal.

He wants game time, he's not the type of person to sit on the bench just because it's the prem, he loves football and wants to play and he knows he's loved here, Brighton really need to pull out the stops to convince him to sign an extension, not just play him in a few cup games.

If we do pull off JpvH perm and SvdB loan then our defence goes from one of the weakest looking to one of the strongest looking in a blink of an eye, its how quickly things can change in football, our chances this season would change drastically.

Even though it sounds like we have pulled away from the styles deal, if you add him into the mix for the lwb spot then our defence would be the best in the league.

A. Wharton and Jake garret to cover CM slots with Buckley, Morton and Travis 

It's the top of the pitch that's a worry for me, we lack goals and if BBD leaves we may struggle to score many this season, hopefully a goalscorer comes in this window, a loan of Cameron archer or Lewis grabban on a fee (both?)

The rest of the squad looks healthy though, Dack, Dolan, Hedges, Smodicz are all very good players to have at this level 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, JHRover said:

If ever there was an opportunity to persuade BBD to sign up to new terms or hang around for the season our winning start was just that - momentum, positivity, new manager. Sadly the failure of the Club to back up the momentum and positivity with strengthening the squad in any way shape or form and allowing the situation to drift without even managing to add a single player to the ranks shows just what the intentions really are - the PL is not the ambition - if we had 'gone for it' over the last few weeks with 3-4 decent signings then that might have suggested we were serious about trying to maintain our form. What we have done shows we are not.

There was never an opportunity to get BBD to sign. Regardless of our start or signings, he had no incentive to sign given the clubs interested in him, but don’t let that hold you back. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, alex l said:

Panic signing - Raymond van Barneveld. Great at hitting the target, more trebles than Messi and Ronaldo combined. 

This just shows the lack of ambition at the club. Should have gone for Michael van Gerwen but it looks like we are going down the old Murphy/Etuhu road.

Broughton out!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Depends on who else we've brought in at CB at that point. If we'd made a solid enough looking permanent CB signing in addition, fair enough.

But to flip your question round a bit, would you be happy with the notion of Lenihan being replaced by a loanee.

That would be more can kicking down the road and another player not properly replaced for me.

I'd much prefer two quality, permenant centre back permenantly.  And no I wouldnt be happy with a loanee replacing Lenihan. I'd clearly rather have a player of sufficient quality who is ours.

But that's not the point I've been making.

If we are to bring in a loanee, and we can't make JPVH a permenant, then I'd be happy with bringing him back as a loan signing.

23 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

There was never an opportunity to get BBD to sign. Regardless of our start or signings, he had no incentive to sign given the clubs interested in him, but don’t let that hold you back. 

Never? How about summer 2021 or before?

9 hours ago, JHRover said:

If ever there was an opportunity to persuade BBD to sign up to new terms or hang around for the season our winning start was just that - momentum, positivity, new manager. Sadly the failure of the Club to back up the momentum and positivity with strengthening the squad in any way shape or form and allowing the situation to drift without even managing to add a single player to the ranks shows just what the intentions really are - the PL is not the ambition - if we had 'gone for it' over the last few weeks with 3-4 decent signings then that might have suggested we were serious about trying to maintain our form. What we have done shows we are not.

Let’s wait to see how the rest of the window pans out.

However unlikely it seems right now, several players might be lined up ready to sign.

Things can change very quickly in football and it’d be premature to make conclusive statements when the transfer window is still open.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I'd much prefer two quality, permenant centre back permenantly.  And no I wouldnt be happy with a loanee replacing Lenihan. I'd clearly rather have a player of sufficient quality who is ours.

But that's not the point I've been making.

If we are to bring in a loanee, and we can't make JPVH a permenant, then I'd be happy with bringing him back as a loan signing.

I feel your pain. It's been painful to read such an obvious point being so misunderstood.😉

The reality is that there's a good chance the only CB we will sign is SVDB on loan. I wouldn't be too unhappy with that. We've got 4 young CB's in Barnes, Phillips, Carter and Wharton that the manager appears to rate so it wouldn't be the end of the world. Only Barnes is out long term. The rest will be fit within a few weeks. 

This is all caveated on Ayala staying fit of course. In an ideal world we'd also bring in Tony Gale for the season on a free. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Your argument was that our winning start to this season was the best opportunity to get him to sign, which is what I contest. He wasn’t signing a new deal this summer regardless.

But to say he was never going to sign a new deal isn't right and suggests the club could have done nothing to avoid this situation.

They could- if they had dealt with contracts in the lead up to summer 2021 whilst other clubs were doing such things.

As with Rothwell a deal was there to be done and the club did nothing but rely on 1 year options and time remaining on existing deals.

As for this summer zero ambition has been shown to improve or better on last season. Despite managing to land what looks like a good manager he hasn't been supported up to this point and we are now in danger of momentum being lost and of him becoming disillusioned. The warning signs are there.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Andy said:

Let’s wait to see how the rest of the window pans out.

However unlikely it seems right now, several players might be lined up ready to sign.

Things can change very quickly in football and it’d be premature to make conclusive statements when the transfer window is still open.

What would your expectations be by the close of the window for it to be a satisfactory one?

Interesting to see that Villa are now looking at BBD.

If they become front-runners we absolutely must bring Cameron Archer into the conversation. Every team in the league will be after loaning him, and selling them our top boy could give us the chance to gain a bit of leverage there.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

But to say he was never going to sign a new deal isn't right and suggests the club could have done nothing to avoid this situation.

They could- if they had dealt with contracts in the lead up to summer 2021 whilst other clubs were doing such things.

As with Rothwell a deal was there to be done and the club did nothing but rely on 1 year options and time remaining on existing deals.

As for this summer zero ambition has been shown to improve or better on last season. Despite managing to land what looks like a good manager he hasn't been supported up to this point and we are now in danger of momentum being lost and of him becoming disillusioned. The warning signs are there.

I meant never in the context of this summer, which is what your original post referred to. I’m sure he would have signed prior to the summer of 2021 but to be fair I don’t think anyone expected the journey BBD has been on since. Doesn’t absolve the club from blame but it’s important not to lose context. 

As for the ambition of the club - the signing of JDT would signal that ambition is there but it’s clearly been a disappointing window so far. Ultimately there’s still time left in the window so I’m reserving judgement but there needs to be a lot of movement in the next week to turn it around.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Pretty good summary. I wonder, given the trouble we've had getting players in, that if we could go back we'd be a bit more flexible in what we were offering the three who left to get them to stay?

It seems fairly obvious to me that in pure economic terms it was always going to be a lot more expensive to pay a transfer fee, agent's fees and then similar wages to a new player.

Spot on Rev. Only thing I would add is that there's only so many hours in a day to be doing deals - and seemingly even less than that for our lot - so there's also a capacity cost as well as economic to us not signing those 3 up to new deals. It's time taken away from other deals that need doing.

In fact given 2 of our 3 new signings seem to be replacements for those who have left, it shows how much of a loss it has been on so many different levels not signing them up. Even numerically another 2 signings without those 3 having left would leave us in a much stronger position.