BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Aso believe Szmodics AT LEAST replaces '1 game in 6' Rothwell.

Really? Not writing Szmodics off yet of course but Rothwell’s 5 out of 6 quieter games were much better than what Szmodics has shown so far. 

Edited by frosty
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, B16Rover said:

Genuinely might be something or nothing but I was fuelling up on Preston New Road whilst he was.  He was visibly struggling with the pay at pump and I so offered to help.  Very tall man and then with the accent, the tracksuit and the car I asked what he was doing round here and he said he was a footballer.  

Didn't ask why or in relation to what or which club but asked if I'd had heard of him which he laughed at hence the name. 

Can't say I've ever seen him kick a ball but Google tells me he's 190cm (6ft 2?) and has played centre back, left back and defensive midfield.  Not exactly a glowing pedigree in Austria and German second division but a couple of games for Canada of recent.  

Would be interesting if not here then at Deepdale or elsewhere 

Preston New Rd? Now that brings back memories. Fox and Grapes, good snooker team. Chippy across the road. Happy times. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

o Wrong Simon, I said at the start of the summer we need to make 5 or 6 signings to add the squad  plus bring through 4 of our good young players. So you are getting confused and misunderstanding the point being made. So maybe you should delete the recent post so you are clearly in the wrong here. 

I said tonight that I still would like another centre midfielder in even it appears we won't do this, But If JDT is happy with his options in there then we don't sign a player he doesn't want. 

No offence intended chaddy, you should know by now I greatly admire your optimism and dedication to the cause even if I don't always agree. So to clarify, and prevent any future misunderstandings you'd be happy if we finished the window with

Brittain

Hyam

Szmodics

Morton 

and 2 further signings? What positions would you like the other 2 signings in?

For the avoidance of doubt if Hyam signs then I would say that is two of the three out of contract amigos potentially adequately replaced. However I would still like to see on top of that an equivalent standard JPVH replacement, a Rothwell replacement, a Khadra replacement, a decent striker (two if BBD leaves) and some cover from the loan market.

In an ideal world we also need to get rid of Edun, Pickering and Gallagher and replace them with a decent LB and striker but that's probably expecting far too much from one window.

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

6 signings in total, yeah? Plus another 1 or 2 if BBD goes and promotion of the likes of Phillips, Carter, Adam Wharton, Garrett and Vale into the first team set up?

Numbers seem right to me…🤷🏽‍♂️

Vale has convinced you then?

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Not sure how you can go with that last statement.  Goal aside, Szmodic has been anonymous in every game he's played so far.

Exactly, he hasn't been in 6 games yet 😅

• Like 1

Would still like to see us sign Styles. A LWB of superior quality to the two we already have, and at least from the clips I've seen, could replace Rothwell's running from midfield. I know Barnsley fans said he was better as a fullback than midfielder, but he could have the potential to grow into the role.

I think with us already having two LBs on the books, it's pretty much the only signing I can think for us to make in that position. I do agree our two aren't fully up to it on current evidence, but a club with our resources can't afford to carry 3 left sided defenders all of whom we paid a fee for. But one who can ably (hopefully) fill another position seems ideal. Pickering probably first choice for when we play a back 4, Styles for when we switch to a 5 (I don't like calling it a 3). Styles to challenge for a midfield berth when we play a 4, unless Pickering is playing poorly enough and/or the competition in midfield is too strong, at which point he plays LB.

Plus Styles is young, promising, playing for an in-form Hungary, and doesn't seem to be too expensive. Probably good resale value if it comes to it. Him and 2 CBs (one class, one decent) and I'd be pretty happy with our defence. Plus midfield options would get a boost. Makes sense to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Touché Jim. Very good.

It's always quite amusing when we sign a player, and certain posters (having not once suggested we sign said player) claim they've always rated him from since before he was a twinkle in his Dad's eye.

No sweat, Rev. It did cause some distress though

No offence intended chaddy, you should know by now I greatly admire your optimism and dedication to the cause even if I don't always agree.

Fair enough Rev. 

So to clarify, and prevent any future misunderstandings you'd be happy if we finished the window with

Brittain

Hyam

Szmodics

Morton 

and 2 further signings? What positions would you like the other 2 signings in?

I think my opinion on Brittain are well know. Hyam is good signing given his experience, Szmodics might be good signing, Morton seems a good addition to the team. 

Caulker is being linked with us. Experience. Good back up signing. 

Then I would like to see pressing striker come in. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fair enough Rev. 

I think my opinion on Brittain are well know. Hyam is good signing given his experience, Szmodics might be good signing, Morton seems a good addition to the team. 

Caulker is being linked with us. Experience. Good back up signing. 

Then I would like to see pressing striker come in. 

A load of D-listers there Chaddy. None of them (apart from Brittain maybe) make us stronger than last season

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

They're low down the list because they're obviously not first choice. We know who those players are. So at best, they're 3rd or 4th choices, which makes them C or D listers. 

The question is, now you've scouted them on YouTube do they pass the "quality" test you were demanding? 

Jim to be fair Carlos Villanueva & Grabbi would look good on YouTube it's not a platform to base how good a player is!

1 minute ago, Brfcrule1 said:

Jim to be fair Carlos Villanueva & Grabbi would look good on YouTube it's not a platform to base how good a player is!

Yes, I know. Even Zeefuik (sp?) looked good!. And that's the point, some fans have already declared Hyam is a good signing after watching him run about a bit on YouTube

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Southside Rover said:

If Hyam is the centre back as it appears, I suspect Caulker is the standby in case Phillips doesn't sign.

I think Styles has to still be a target especially as he could play left back like we need but also cover Midfield as backup to Travis.

If the 3rd is Gyorkeres from Coventry I think its a decent end to the window.

The only doubt after that is if BBD does go, no idea who would be lined up. Adam Armstrong loan?

Coventry want massive money for Gyokeres there’s no chance we will pay what they want for him. 

20 minutes ago, Iceman said:

If JDT says we only need 3 more signings, then what it really means, is that Venkys said JDT you can only have 3 more..

Or it could mean - let's manage other clubs expectations so we aren't held over a financial barrel if trying to get through last minute deals. You could read it in lots of ways, but he is a manager who is on record about promoting youth players - so doubt he will want a bloated squad.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Iceman said:

If JDT says we only need 3 more signings, then what it really means, is that Venkys said JDT you can only have 3 more..

How many would you say we need? I think 3 would be ok really. The wider plan is clearly to also blood our own youth, stock piling players ain't gonna happen, nice as it would be. The main problem with the model of course is it can be disrupted by injuries. No way Philips would have been thrown in like he has otherwise. He'd have played a few cup games and come on last 20 mins here and there. It'd be nice to have a bit of luck with injuries for once....

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Vale has convinced you then?

No, he’s not quite ready in my opinion. But there’s a player in there. In any case, we’re talking about replacing players. I think we’ll do that with signings and promotion of youth.

FWIW - I think Garrett can evolve to be as good as Travis and A.Wharton & Phillips will genuinely be in our top 5 best players within 18 months. So the future is bright 👍🏼

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Or it could mean - let's manage other clubs expectations so we aren't held over a financial barrel if trying to get through last minute deals. You could read it in lots of ways, but he is a manager who is on record about promoting youth players - so doubt he will want a bloated squad.

I think 3 more is fine 6 in total and the mooted positions all filled.

CBx2, RB, CM, AM and a forward. Sure there are people on here who want a new lb or a striker. I would like another CM. But it’s what the manager wants that matters 👍🏼

I'm coming round to the idea of caulker in as back up.

He's obviously kept himself fit the last few years . And mentally me must be coping alot better over that time

Including playing for Sierra leonne. He's played in 125 games in the past 3 .5 season 

At 30 he's a good age . Guessing lowish wage .

Would then send Carter on loan to play regular and keep Phillips as 5th choice 

• Like 1