BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The only important thing to take home is that none of those clubs, despite losing well over the maximum allowed under the rules, have been sanctioned in any shape or form.

Not true. Reading had a points deduction just last season.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I do find it curious that Wilder in particular has gone for Nyambe. He even expects his wider centre backs to contribute going forward, let alone his wing backs. 

Must think that he can get a tune out of him where Mowbray couldn't, but he strikes me as close to the opposite style of full back to what he would usually go for. 

He’s only been signed as cover for a young and exciting right wingback that they have ( not the one they are selling ), so he be warming the bench most of the time. However, if he has set himself up for life with a great salary then maybe he’ll be happy. Sadly, I think the same will apply to Lennihan 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

The only important thing to take home is that none of those clubs, despite losing well over the maximum allowed under the rules, have been sanctioned in any shape or form.

Not interested in "something must happen" that sort of talk will caryr on until people forget about it or they get promoted and don't have an issue.

We are told that what we have seen at Rovers is something forced on us by the rules, and if we didn't act quickly we would face a terrible fate of sanctions. Doesn't happen elsewhere so why would it here?

That's simply not true, is it. 

Derby, Reading and Sheffield Wednesday (off the top of my head) have all been sanctioned for breaching FFP rules. If Middlesboro carry on in that vein (I've no idea about their actual finances) they'll be sanctioned too. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Not interested in "something must happen" that sort of talk will caryr on until people forget about it or they get promoted and don't have an issue.

We are told that what we have seen at Rovers is something forced on us by the rules, and if we didn't act quickly we would face a terrible fate of sanctions. Doesn't happen elsewhere so why would it here?

Where FFP rules have been broken then sanctions have followed. See Derby, Sheff Wed and Reading

Steve Gibson is thee single biggest supporter of FFP. In fact, he lobbied the EFL seriously hard over Mel Morris' creative accounting. It is Steve Gibson who argues the FFP rules should be implemented to the fullest and harshest terms. You shouldn't hold him up as an example of how to circumvent rules put in place by the EFL

SwissRamble is a very good account to follow to keep yourself informed on financial dealings of football clubs.

If you look at where we sit you will notice every club around us in the >100% category are either cutting costs dramatically or have already been sanctioned by FFP rules. You will notice that Gibsons Boro, whilst still high, are nowhere near paying as much per % of turnover in wages as us. Middlesbrough losses of +£30m in 2021 meant they had to drastically reduce wages, and they did

https://www.insidermedia.com/news/north-east/middlesbrough-fc-report-losses-as-covid-bites

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OsloRover said:

Not true. Reading had a points deduction just last season.

I quoted you on Middlesbrough, Bristol City and Stoke. None of them have ever been sanctioned. All lost a lot more than we did.

1 hour ago, OsloRover said:

I don't know exactly much leeway clubs are given as regards to covid, I think it is 5+5+2.5m for the three years. Some sources claim that the EFL are looking at a 4-year cycle for years affected by the pandemic instead of the usual 3.
Also remember that not all losses "count" (academy etc), so a few million over 45 should be ok.

I took a look at the three clubs, and as far as I can tell here's the deal:

Middlesbrough - borderline. Must improve in 2022.

Season ended     2021           2020            2019
Losses                 25m            30.5m          2m profit
3Y FFP losses      53.5m                  

Bristol City - ok for now but something must happen in 2022 (2019 profit wiped)

Losses                 38m            10m             11m profit
3Y FFP losses      37m                  

Stoke City - different numbers floating around, have sold training ground AND stadium. Bad situation.

Losses                 5m            70m             15m
3Y FFP losses      90m

Note that selling stadiums is no longer allowed, so that is not an option for rovers.

I’m sure it’s been posted already but what’s our 3Y FFP looking like? 

42 minutes ago, Butty said:

I’m sure it’s been posted already but what’s our 3Y FFP looking like? 

Should be solid after the sale of BBD. Last campaign had the training grounds on the books, this one has AA sale and assuming we again sell in the embers of the window next will have Diaz. That should be 3 years with abnormal revenue. If that doesn’t get us to safety what will?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Should be solid after the sale of BBD. Last campaign had the training grounds on the books, this one has AA sale and assuming we again sell in the embers of the window next will have Diaz. That should be 3 years with abnormal revenue. If that doesn’t get us to safety what will?

Plus a wage bill cut to the bone since the last accounts were published

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Looks like the rules are set to be more restrictive. 70% cap on revenue. Means the thing that matters most is income. If you focus on expenses you’ll never be competitive

https://www.nationalworld.com/sport/football/what-are-uefas-proposed-financial-fair-play-changes-how-new-rules-will-work-3623936

This is UEFA though, not the EFL.

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Another delusion of mine:

We're actually hoping to loan Phil Jones and JPvH for next season.

I'm not sure we could afford Jones. I think we could do worse than JPVH and Goode from Brentford. Those 2 would make me forget our CB woes - Wharton, Goode, JPVH, Carter, Phillips. 

I am disregarding Ayala because I don't think he'll be here / play enough games if he was.

7 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

I'm not sure we could afford Jones. I think we could do worse than JPVH and Goode from Brentford. Those 2 would make me forget our CB woes - Wharton, Goode, JPVH, Carter, Phillips. 

I am disregarding Ayala because I don't think he'll be here / play enough games if he was.

You'd be better disregarding JPVH than Ayala. The latter is far more likely to make some appearances for us this season than the former.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rigger said:

See now I would say Nyambe is the hardest to replace. Opinions Eh !

100%.

Look at the Dutch lad brought in with an option to purchase.

£2.9m Euros and not even remotely in Nyambe's class.

You'd have thought at that point the penny would have dropped with the powers that be that it would have been far more expensive to replace Nyambe with equivalent quality than give him what he wanted and they'd have bitten the bullet.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

I quoted you on Middlesbrough, Bristol City and Stoke. None of them have ever been sanctioned. All lost a lot more than we did.

Didn't we finish ahead of two of those clubs last season?

Derby threw loads of money at promotion and where are they now?League one.

I'm not being funny but Stoke have spent a fair bit and I look at their squad and I ain't too envious to be honest.

Stoke and Boro have owners who are better than ours and care more about their clubs I doubt you would find any on here who would disagree with that.

Not sure if this helped Boro's Ffp situation but how much did they receive from Derby and Morris last season when Gibson took legal action against them?(just checked and I can see £3 million was the settlement so didn't play a part)

Edited by islander200

11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You'd be better disregarding JPVH than Ayala. The latter is far more likely to make some appearances for us this season than the former.

Most probably true but they may loan him out again? Not for one minute suggesting we would sign him permanently

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

100%.

You'd have thought at that point the penny would have dropped with the powers that be that it would have been far more expensive to replace Nyambe with equivalent quality than give him what he wanted and they'd have bitten the bullet.

Brittain at Barnsley could be picked up for a reasonable fee and after watching him a fair bit he would definitely be an upgrade on Nyambe attacking wise and he defends well enough aswell 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

Most probably true but they may loan him out again? Not for one minute suggesting we would sign him permanently

Even if they do, they'll be looking for a better loan this time. He has done all he can with us. Would likely end up with a cash-flush promotion chaser who can afford a full wage contribution and large loan fee, or in a top tier league abroad.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Even if they do, they'll be looking for a better loan this time. He has done all he can with us. Would likely end up with a cash-flush promotion chaser who can afford a full wage contribution and large loan fee, or in a top tier league abroad.

He is only on 4k a week at Brighton I'm sure we could manage that.Surely Brighton give him a go next season tho.Duffy started a lot of games for them and Van Hecke has all the tools to be a much better player than him if he isn't already 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

100%.

Not even in Nyambes class based on 6 appearances, half of which were sub appearances in stupid positions? Give it a rest. He wasn't much use to us but none of us are in a position to say that based on ability.

19 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

100%.

Just because Zeefuik reportedly had an optional fee of around that amount that wasn't even exercised doesn't mean that is the benchmark fee to compare others to.

Totally take your point on the penny pinching though, that is the way Venkys tend to operate a lot of the time. Backwards logic.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He is only on 4k a week at Brighton I'm sure we could manage that.Surely Brighton give him a go next season tho.Duffy started a lot of games for them and Van Hecke has all the tools to be a much better player than him if he isn't already 

If that's true, fair enough we can handle his wage. Whatever we gave them last time though, they'll want a bigger loan fee after how well he did. And/or a more glamorous move with a new test. But as you say, they're more likely to just want to keep him around.