BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray, the summer and beyond

10 minutes ago, rigger said:

Do you think Mowbray is a good manager, yes or no.

Its not a yes or no question. 

I think his tenure will be determined by these next 10 to 13 games. Stumble and fall outside the play offs and id describe his time here as ok, unremarkable, certainly not the disaster many would paint it but forgettable/average. A top 6 finish would show progression and make it decent. Promotion would make his time here good or even very good, a club with our owners and subsequent resourcrs getting promoted would be a hell of an achievement.

His transfer record like anyones is not without faults but is pretty good id suggest. He has come up with some "interesting" tactics in his time to various degrees of success. The back 3 has been a masterstroke and the false 9 thing does work when Brereton is fit, our remaining attackers without him and Dack dont have many goals in them full stop.

1 minute ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I don't always agree with @chaddyrovers but this is actually a very good shout. The fella has performed miracles and I think he would do well in England. 

I think my first choice would be Rooney though.

Would Rooney come here? When you consider that a manager who did an average job at Derby got the Chelsea job and did another average job before ending at Everton purely from his name. Couldnt Rooney get a bigger job as and when he leaves Derby?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am not giving him credit for something he hasnt achieved. I actually said I doubt he will. My point is that if you are going to be fair, you should be open minded enough to be willing to praise hin should that happen.

Your stuff about him outstaying his welcome by 4 years was bollocks hence why I brought that up but the main thing I dont get is the lack of flexibility or ability to praise him IF the season ends well.

Off on a tangent with the striker stuff, I said at the time that I wanted a striker who could offer a goal threat who could play in a wider role too. I appreciate that with peanuts to work with, that was difficult though. He tried and that player got injured and Venkys not only wouldnt seemingly allow him more funds but wouldnt even allow him to sell a player 6 months from the end of his contract to raise funds. Arrogance? Behave.

How is it bollocks? I knew he was bang average then and I still do now. He isn’t a winner, and tactically crap. 

if he got us promoted I’d give him credit but he isn’t going to do why even question it. We are bottom 3 form from the start of the year never mind top 3. Pie in the sky stuff from you. Like asking me if gallagher banged in 30 would I say he is a good striker. 

arrogance , very much so. Saying that he was right all along and that we didn’t need a striker in January is baffling considering every  supporter can see that we very much did/do.

you say that he couldn’t get one but we bid for dembele and he said himself that he had options but felt we didn’t need any, doesn’t sound like the funds weren’t there to me so your talking out your arse. Go and have a lie down and think about what your saying 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Would Rooney come here? When you consider that a manager who did an average job at Derby got the Chelsea job and did another average job before ending at Everton purely from his name. Couldnt Rooney get a bigger job as and when he leaves Derby?

I guess its all about timing but I think the Rovers job is still one of the top jobs in the game, particularly with seemingly the ability to run the club how you see fit without too much interference. I know we moan and groan on here a lot but we are still seen as a big club.

He won't come if we don't ask him, that's for sure.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

How is it bollocks? I knew he was bang average then and I still do now. He isn’t a winner, and tactically crap. 

if he got us promoted I’d give him credit but he isn’t going to do why even question it. We are bottom 3 form from the start of the year never mind top 3. Pie in the sky stuff from you. Like asking me if gallagher banged in 30 would I say he is a good striker. 

arrogance , very much so. Saying that he was right all along and that we didn’t need a striker in January is baffling considering every  supporter can see that we very much did/do.

you say that he couldn’t get one but we bid for dembele and he said himself that he had options but felt we didn’t need any, doesn’t sound like the funds weren’t there to me so your talking out your arse. Go and have a lie down and think about what your saying 

You said that he has outstayed his welcome by 4 years. At the start of that 4 years we was on the brink of promotion, at the point when he supposedly was starting to outstay his welcome. 

You are so fixated by your desperation to make him seem terrible that you do 2 things. Assume that anyone who questions your logic is a huge supporter of him, like I said, if we finish outside the play offs I would consider his tenure here to be no more than ok, I would have signed a striker capable lf playing in a system that at that time was working, and some of his tactics certainly have had me scratching my head and even at times calling for his head over the years. You also fixate on specific runs to make him sound worse than he is. We are 4th in the league, it would be like me saying we was the best team in the league for 2 months therefore he is the best manager in the league, it only matters where all the various runs of form level out, at the moment its in 4th, lets see how we finish and praise/criticise accordingly in a fair way.

He said that Premier League teams had offered him loans. The Dembele bid may or may not have been conditional of a Rothwell sale that was blocked by our idiotic, stubborn owners.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I guess its all about timing but I think the Rovers job is still one of the top jobs in the game, particularly with seemingly the ability to run the club how you see fit without too much interference. I know we moan and groan on here a lot but we are still seen as a big club.

It certainly wasnt in anyway a put down of Rovers as a club. But Rooney at least claimed that he turned down his boyhood and Premier League club Everton to continue at Derby.

You say without too much interference but our manager wanted to sell a player to bring in 2 with the proceeds in January and the owners interfered and wouldnt let him. This season, we also sold our 15m striker and he wasnt given any in the summer to replace him.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It certainly wasnt in anyway a put down of Rovers as a club. But Rooney at least claimed that he turned down his boyhood and Premier League club Everton to continue at Derby.

You say without too much interference but our manager wanted to sell a player to bring in 2 with the proceeds in January and the owners interfered and wouldnt let him. This season, we also sold our 15m striker and he wasnt given any in the summer to replace him.

Compared to what he's had to put up with at Derby, those are idyllic working conditions. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Its not a yes or no question. 

I think his tenure will be determined by these next 10 to 13 games. Stumble and fall outside the play offs and id describe his time here as ok, unremarkable, certainly not the disaster many would paint it but forgettable/average. A top 6 finish would show progression and make it decent. Promotion would make his time here good or even very good, a club with our owners and subsequent resourcrs getting promoted would be a hell of an achievement.

His transfer record like anyones is not without faults but is pretty good id suggest. He has come up with some "interesting" tactics in his time to various degrees of success. The back 3 has been a masterstroke and the false 9 thing does work when Brereton is fit, our remaining attackers without him and Dack dont have many goals in them full stop.

It is a yes or no question, that is why I asked it. Whether you think he is a good or bad manager, is not effected by outside influences. My answer to the question, do I think Mowbray is a good manager, would be NO.

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Assuming i) we don't go up and TM leaves, and ii) Lampard is still Everton manager in the summer, then the timing could work out in such a way that Rooney could be realistic.

He'll have seen the Derby job through until the end of the season, so will probably feel as though he's done his bit by not leaving them in the lurch. They will probably be in L1 though - and unlikely to be in a strong position to be favourites to bounce back. Would he expect a prem job under such circumstances? Everton aside, I doubt it. Which Championship jobs would be more attractive than Rovers? There might be a relegated club who sack their manager and would fancy him, but if that doesn't happen then Rovers would have a good a chance as anyone. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, roverandout said:

What good work? Midtable mediocrity with one rather fortuitous promotion push? Some managers achieve that within 2 years. Some within a year

Some managers ripped us off
Some managers said the fans spiked their drink.
Some managers had us in freefall
Some managers threw their rattle when they didn't get the funds they demanded.
This manager has made us a top six team in the Championship.

Edited by FortressEwood
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

You said that he has outstayed his welcome by 4 years. At the start of that 4 years we was on the brink of promotion, at the point when he supposedly was starting to outstay his welcome. 

You are so fixated by your desperation to make him seem terrible that you do 2 things. Assume that anyone who questions your logic is a huge supporter of him, like I said, if we finish outside the play offs I would consider his tenure here to be no more than ok, I would have signed a striker capable lf playing in a system that at that time was working, and some of his tactics certainly have had me scratching my head and even at times calling for his head over the years. You also fixate on specific runs to make him sound worse than he is. We are 4th in the league, it would be like me saying we was the best team in the league for 2 months therefore he is the best manager in the league, it only matters where all the various runs of form level out, at the moment its in 4th, lets see how we finish and praise/criticise accordingly in a fair way.

He said that Premier League teams had offered him loans. The Dembele bid may or may not have been conditional of a Rothwell sale that was blocked by our idiotic, stubborn owners.

You have lost me with your drivel, best manager for 2 months chat. Ehhhh!!!!!???

im not the one assuming anything, you have him promoting us whereas history tells us that won’t happen.

I said about 4 years, you have taken that to the literal point of 4 years, that’s pathetic but even though you have I still would have got rid the first season back in the champ. 

mowbray is a hands behind our back manager, we are going into every battle behind because we have lost the dugout battle before a ball is kicked 

18 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

You have lost me with your drivel, best manager for 2 months chat. Ehhhh!!!!!???

im not the one assuming anything, you have him promoting us whereas history tells us that won’t happen.

I said about 4 years, you have taken that to the literal point of 4 years, that’s pathetic but even though you have I still would have got rid the first season back in the champ. 

mowbray is a hands behind our back manager, we are going into every battle behind because we have lost the dugout battle before a ball is kicked 

Bit hyperbolic there, no? There are obviously better managers out there, but the Championship is littered with others that're no better, in some cases obviously worse.

If you go onto other teams' messageboards, you can often see Mowbray seen as a wily old fox, outthinking their own unpopular coach. Obviously we all know that this is a bit of a stretch & that Mowbray has his faults too, but there are maybe a handful of other teams' managers that I'd swap him for. 

3 hours ago, rigger said:

Do you think Mowbray is a good manager, yes or no.

I think Mowbray is decent enough manager for us. 

3 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I don't always agree with @chaddyrovers but this is actually a very good shout. The fella has performed miracles and I think he would do well in England. 

I think my first choice would be Rooney though.

Thanks for that agreement but he seems to done a good job there. 

Can I ask you why Rooney would be first choice? Its not someone I haven't thought about to be honest but I do think he done a good job at Derby given the financial problems there and ownership problems there

Despite his good points one of the main issues with TM is he isn't pro active enough he's mostly always reactory. 

Whenever theres been chance to put the foot on the gas or do something bold in a window he has always taken the safe option. Then it's back to the old stability versus having a real go argument.

We know were most inside Ewood are more comfortable to be, the risk v reward doesn't look like it's worth the hassle.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2022 at 19:57, Miller11 said:

Some predictions…

Mowbray will go. He looked like he’d had enough 18 months ago. We will be linked with loads of managers but will take ages before inevitably raiding the HSH scrapheap. My money is on Pulis.

We will lose Nyambe, Rothwell and Lenihan. All will get far better deals than we offered, and at least one will be a premier league squad player. People will deludedly start saying “I bet he regrets leaving, he hardly plays for them”, completely ignoring the fact they are now firmly in millionaire territory.

We will sell Ash Phillips for a couple or three million plus add ons to a big club, which will be enough for some people to excuse losing the three mentioned above for nothing.

We will sign Harry Chapman up for another year and play him in the first couple of games next season before loaning him out to Doncaster. Bradley Johnson will sign a new deal in November.

Talks with Travis over a new deal will stall, and our entire transfer budget will go on Zeefuik.

There will be a Brereton Saga. He will be linked with half a dozen clubs throughout the summer before joining one of them on deadline day for half the initial fee that was rumoured.

Season tickets will go up in price and go on sale 48 hours before the opening game. There will be no kits in the club shop until the end of September.

We really do need to get promoted.

That is a very depressing read but probably as good a prediction as I have seen. 

TM has done a good job here so far. People forget about the shambles we were in when he took over, the unbroken succession of clowns, crooks and jokers that had previously managed us, and the general air of depression and futility that surrounded us.

However… If we finish outside the top 6 I do think it’s time for a change, 5 years is a long time in football, and the general boom/bust cycle of our form is indicative of a pattern that could repeat ad infinitum if we don’t switch things up. That said, TM could leave with his head held high and should be thought of as the best manager we’ve had post Venkys.

If he gets us to the Prem then I’d consider him one of the best coaches we’ve ever had, although that doesn’t seem likely, even a playoff spot would mean he deserves another bite of the cherry as clear progression would be shown. I cannot believe that some here still criticise and claim that they would sack him now or even after a successful promotion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Mowbray is decent enough manager for us. 

Thanks for that agreement but he seems to done a good job there. 

Can I ask you why Rooney would be first choice? Its not someone I haven't thought about to be honest but I do think he done a good job at Derby given the financial problems there and ownership problems there

I think he’s a good manager Chaddy - he has the respect of the players and could probably attract good players to the club. 
I’ve been impressed by the way he’s gone about his business, and slightly surprised to be honest.

7 hours ago, PeteJD13 said:

Really he was absolutely awful at Cardiff and underachieved at united no thanks

Cardiff was a freak show and united STILL think they're the best in Europe. 

That said! I agree to an extent. No he's not an "Elite" manager that can handle the added pressures of managing a top 4-6 team, few are! Hughes was pretty dire at city, but great for us and Solskjaer is at that sort of level in my opinion. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

2 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Bit hyperbolic there, no? There are obviously better managers out there, but the Championship is littered with others that're no better, in some cases obviously worse.

If you go onto other teams' messageboards, you can often see Mowbray seen as a wily old fox, outthinking their own unpopular coach. Obviously we all know that this is a bit of a stretch & that Mowbray has his faults too, but there are maybe a handful of other teams' managers that I'd swap him for. 

Can’t think of any championship manager that I wouldn’t take over mowbray. 
Hyperbole is a bit strong is it not, surely just an opinion. So dramatic 

13 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Cardiff was a freak show and united STILL think they're the best in Europe. 

That said! I agree to an extent. No he's not an "Elite" manager that can handle the added pressures of managing a top 4-6 team, few are! Hughes was pretty dire at city, but great for us and Solskjaer is at that sort of level in my opinion. 

Wouldn’t want solskjaer, he hasn’t done anything to suggest he would be a success 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

My point was that you had specifically mentioned the last 2 months/2022 and our poor form. I could flip that and say how amazing we was for the 2 months prior, that is the flaw with picking out a couple of months amidst a 9 month season to suit an agenda. It all levels out and we are 4th at the moment so its been a very good season so far over 7 months, lets see where we are after 9 and praise/criticise based on that, rather than fixating on runs of form to suit our arguments.

3 hours ago, rigger said:

It is a yes or no question, that is why I asked it. Whether you think he is a good or bad manager, is not effected by outside influences. My answer to the question, do I think Mowbray is a good manager, would be NO.

It isn't, I would suggest that the answer perhaps lies between good and bad.

3 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I think he’s a good manager Chaddy - he has the respect of the players and could probably attract good players to the club. 
I’ve been impressed by the way he’s gone about his business, and slightly surprised to be honest.

I would agree that he has also surprised me, but that job is a unique one, there is no pressure, even relegation can be a symbol of a good job if it is brave, he can play the everyone is against us card so it is hard to judge fully.

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well he sign 4 and half contract here today. Excellent work by Rovers

It’s very good news that Travis has signed a new deal. I’m both delighted and surprised.

Its not “excellent work by Rovers” though, it’s doing the fundamentals. How come you are being so effusive with your praise for this particular negotiation while absolving the club of any blame for the situation we are in with other players?

13 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Can’t think of any championship manager that I wouldn’t take over mowbray. 
Hyperbole is a bit strong is it not, surely just an opinion. So dramatic 

That's fair enough, but that's a list that includes Paul Ince. 

I know he's got his problems, but there's no way of squaring 'he's the worst manager in the league' with our results this year. Or the last four years for that matter. 

• Like 3