BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray, the summer and beyond

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I heard a few people in the Blackburn End say to the person next to them that Mowbray should go. I am not convinced that everyone is behind him, and have not experienced what you mention above @roverandout is that in the Blackburn End too?

It's what I've experienced in the past 

32 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I’d say it’s fifty fifty with people wanting him to go and people wanting him to stay . I think there is a pool of people in the middle that don’t really care either way as the uncertainty of what’s next or the way we are run won’t make much of a difference so continue to just support the team regardless. 

if we start the season with him on charge next season I might end up falling into that third pool and drowning in despair

I think we might be “ falling into the third pool “ next season. A massive opportunity has been thrown away.

33 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think we might be “ falling into the third pool “ next season.

Absolutely nothing to support that theory other than these awful owners have turned off the tap.

If they refuse to fund signings you could have a point, but even on a shoe string, as we have seen this season, the manager has outperformed most of the opposition. 

We are a mid table club with a mid table budget, punching above out weight. 

Edited by Gav

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

Absolutely nothing to support that theory other than these awful owners have turned off the tap.

If they refuse to fund signings you could have a point, but even on a shoe string, as we have seen this season, the manager has outperformed most of the opposition. 

We are a mid table club with a mid table budget punching above out weight. 

well then why are luton,with a shoestring budget,in the play off hunt and us,with  better players all round struggling to score a bloody goal,is it because our manager is useless or is it because our manager is useless and tactically inept or could it be our manager is useless,tactically inept and has spent a ****load of venkys money,so much they won`t give him any more🙂

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Gav said:

Punching above our weight next to Huddersfield, QPR, Luton and a few points above Coventry, Millwall and Preston?

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

well then why are luton,with a shoestring budget,in the play off hunt and us,with  better players all round struggling to score a bloody goal,is it because our manager is useless or is it because our manager is useless and tactically inept or could it be our manager is useless,tactically inept and has spent a ****load of venkys money,so much they won`t give him any more🙂

Huddersfield and Coventry, (who had been out of this League for a good while), also going well.

Mowbray has also reaped the benefits of an excellent youth set up, which has been a major factor this season.

He’s had enough time to mount a series promotion push.

When you look back at some of his quotes from a year or two back, Mowbray himself stated that we should be challenging by now.

The annual February collapse has become tedious and depressing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Punching above our weight next to Huddersfield, QPR, Luton and a few points above Coventry, Millwall and Preston?

Here are the clubs with arguably better budgets, transfer market says it’s more:

Fulham

Bournemouth

Forest

Boro

West Brom

Reading

QPR

Swansea

Cardiff 

Stoke City

Derby are paying massive wages.

Bristol City spent £25m+ on players only recently.

Edited by Gav

3 hours ago, rigger said:

I would offer to Brighton, Brereton for Van Hecke and Khadra. 

I don't think Football works that way. Maybe Brereton will fancy a move to another like Everton or West Ham or Newcastle. Who have all been linked with him over the past few weeks

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’m not that impressed with Khadra. I wouldn’t be busting a gut to get him back. Not enough end product for me. The Dutch centre half I’d definitely have back, he’s worthy of the shirt.

Khadra makes things happens and his skill/pace/tricky is there to see. Given his age he needs a manager who will develop like Mowbray has this season. Much better and improve from the player who started the season will us. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I heard a few people in the Blackburn End say to the person next to them that Mowbray should go. I am not convinced that everyone is behind him, and have not experienced what you mention above @roverandout is that in the Blackburn End too?

what part of Blackburn End is that? 

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I’d say it’s fifty fifty with people wanting him to go and people wanting him to stay . I think there is a pool of people in the middle that don’t really care either way as the uncertainty of what’s next or the way we are run won’t make much of a difference so continue to just support the team regardless. 

if we start the season with him on charge next season I might end up falling into that third pool and drowning in despair

I don't know how anyone can say what the fan base is thinking when it will increase of support of Mowbray when we were winning games and will go down when we aren't winning. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think Football works that way. Maybe Brereton will fancy a move to another like Everton or West Ham or Newcastle. Who have all been linked with him over the past few weeks

Khadra makes things happens and his skill/pace/tricky is there to see. Given his age he needs a manager who will develop like Mowbray has this season. Much better and improve from the player who started the season will us. 

what part of Blackburn End is that? 

I don't know how anyone can say what the fan base is thinking when it will increase of support of Mowbray when we were winning games and will go down when we aren't winning. 

NO2

5 hours ago, Gav said:

It looks like half of our current team will be leaving this summer. If that happens who they are replaced by will be the difference between staying up and going down.

10 hours ago, Upside Down said:

We are punching well below our weight. 

It's like we're fighting a toddler and losing. 

We are lying on the canvass, begging not to be hit any more. We surrendered when our opponent was on the ropes, one blow from a knock out, but failed to recognise, what a great chance of victory we had.

Given the last 4 fights were all exactly the same, it has hardly been Rocky, although the Rocky analogy in another context, could be used to describe our form.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gav said:

Here are the clubs with arguably better budgets, transfer market says it’s more:

Fulham

Bournemouth

Forest

Boro

West Brom

Reading

QPR

Swansea

Cardiff 

Stoke City

Derby are paying massive wages.

Bristol City spent £25m+ on players only recently.

Was that as recently as in 19/20 when then took in almost 50 million in players sold?

OR is there more which is actually recent?

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lraC said:

We are lying on the canvass, begging not to be hit any more. We surrendered when our opponent was on the ropes, one blow from a knock out, but failed to recognise, what a great chance of victory we had.

Given the last 4 fights were all exactly the same, it has hardly been Rocky, although the Rocky analogy in another context, could be used to describe our form.

It's certainly giving me brain damage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Was that as recently as in 19/20 when then took in almost 50 million in players sold?

OR is there more which is actually recent?

It doesn't really matter, what the budget is, we are not going to be anywhere near successful under these owners.

Pasha seems to do a good job of hiding in the shadows and pulling the strings, whilst everyone with their heads above the water, finds a reason to be positive, about death spirals and goal droughts. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, lraC said:

It doesn't really matter, what the budget is, we are not going to be anywhere near successful under these owners.

Pasha seems to do a good job of hiding in the shadows and pulling the strings, whilst everyone with their heads above the water, finds a reason to be positive, about death spirals and goal droughts. 

I’m tired of saying it but the Chicken Chokers are like a cancer in the body of Blackburn Rovers. Until that cancer is removed the body will never thrive and ultimately it will probably prove terminal.  

• Like 4

Next season, we have the following under long term contracts - 

Kaminski, JRC, Brown, Wharton, Carter, Pickering, Edun, Travis, Buckley, Dack, Dolan, Hedges, Markandey, Gallagher.

I imagine the likes of Phillips, Garrett and Butterworth and maybe one or two more from the under 23s will also be around the squad.

We will sign 5 loan players too to no doubt to boost the squad numbers.

Only Ayala and Diaz are out of contract in the summer of 2023, and the latter will surely be sold off this summer anyway.

I still think there is a basis of a good side there, with a few decent loans or free transfers to compliment it we should be more than capable of staying around mid table in this league.

The only thing that is a must for me, is that we change managers to give everyone a fresh lift and get new ideas into the club.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

As mentioned the summer of this year feels like a real ''reboot'' summer, perhaps even more so than last season.

Lenihan, Nyambe, Rothwell all out of contract.

Ben Brereton Diaz stock value probably at its all time highest.

Khadra, van Hecke, Poveda, Giles, Zeefuik all returning to their parent clubs. Would love JPvH to come back, but he'd likely get a chance at a Premier League club, or even Brighton themselves, based on his performances from November onwards.

That's 9 players that need replacing, a club captain (Lenihan), top goalscorer (BBD), top assist provider (Rothwell) and almost definitely the 'Player of the Year' (BBD or JPvH).

Huge rebuilding job for Mowbray or the new manager. I wonder whether he'll see that as a challenge to far? Or whether he's already working on a plan for next season, see Hedges and Markanday.

For added context, by the end of this season Mowbray will have managed Rovers for 264 (+/- 1,2 or 3 for any playoff matches).

Assuming we stay in the division, if Mowbray is still in charge by the end of the 2022/23 season, he'll become only the third manager in 150 years of the club to surpass 300 games in charge.

By the seasons end he'll be in sole possession of 3rd place.

1. Robert Middleton (1903 - 1922) 605 matches

2. Jack Marshall (1960 - 1967) 329 matches

3. Thomas Mitchell (1884 - 1896) 263 matches

4. Tony Mowbray (2017 - present) 258 matches * [as of 14/3/22]

5. Bobby Saxton (1981 - 1986) 257 matches

Trivia time. Taking into account Don Mackay's (1987 - 1991) 232 matches, 9th overall, having a surname beginning with the letter M usually stands the manager in good stead down at Ewood!

Edited by rog of the rovers
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’m tired of saying it but the Chicken Chokers are like a cancer in the body of Blackburn Rovers. Until that cancer is removed the body will never thrive and ultimately it will probably prove terminal.  

This is the heart of the problem. It is quite obvious that the owners don't care, probably being satisfied with the club providing them with annual losses to set against their tax returns. They also seem to know nothing about football and how clubs are often the hub of their community.

It has been said by many on this site previously that no other manager would have survived last season's abysmal run of two wins in 19; many managers would have been sacked after Rovers suffered the worst home defeat in their long history in November; TM has now created another unwanted record with just 3 goals in 2022; he continues to play Sam Gallagher as a winger (in my opinion he has ruined the lad's confidence); he plays other players out of position in the insane belief that he is a tactical genius, and last week he played the most left footed player on the books on the right wing. He moved heaven and earth to sign Ryan Hedges, but has yet to give him a start no doubt because he has yet to learn the way we play.

My fear is that Venkys will simply renew TM's contract based on the fact that he made a profit on Armstrong and will no doubt make a profit on the sale of BBD. Having owners who have no interest in football is a desperate situation to be in and until they are gone we will not be able to reclaim our club. I accept that people will say "where would we be without them", but I just cannot see where proper footballing decisions are going to come from. Certainly not from Waggott or Suhail.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

As mentioned the summer of this year feels like a real ''reboot'' summer, perhaps even more so than last season.

Lenihan, Nyambe, Rothwell all out of contract.

Ben Brereton Diaz stock value probably at its all time highest.

Khadra, van Hecke, Poveda, Giles, Zeefuik all returning to their parent clubs. Would love JPvH to come back, but he'd likely get a chance at a Premier League club, or even Brighton themselves, based on his performances from November onwards.

That's 9 players that need replacing, a club captain (Lenihan), top goalscorer (BBD), top assist provider (Rothwell) and almost definitely the 'Player of the Year' (BBD or JPvH).

Huge rebuilding job for Mowbray or the new manager. I wonder whether he'll see that as a challenge to far? Or whether he's already working on a plan for next season, see Hedges and Markanday.

For added context, by the end of this season Mowbray will have managed Rovers for 264 (+/- 1,2 or 3 for any playoff matches).

Assuming we stay in the division, if Mowbray is still in charge by the end of the 2022/23 season, he'll become only the third manager in 150 years of the club to surpass 300 games in charge.

By the seasons end he'll be in sole possession of 3rd place.

1. Robert Middleton (1903 - 1922) 605 matches

2. Jack Marshall (1960 - 1967) 329 matches

3. Thomas Mitchell (1884 - 1896) 263 matches

4. Tony Mowbray (2017 - present) 258 matches * [as of 14/3/22]

5. Bobby Saxton (1981 - 1986) 257 matches

Trivia time. Taking into account Don Mackay's (1987 - 1991) 232 matches, 9th overall, having a surname beginning with the letter M usually stands the manager in good stead down at Ewood!

At least he could have a record that he could be half proud of. Given the record home loss, the record for the lowest  number of goals over a 9 game stretch and the number of games with no win last season, all he needs now is another couple of penalty misses and he will probably have that record too.

He has been very fortunate to be manager when no one really cares too much about what the fans think, as any uprising makes no difference these days, which would never have happened under any previous owners in my lifetime.

This proud and famous club have been turned into a laughing stock sadly.

Edited by lraC
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Next season, we have the following under long term contracts - 

Kaminski, JRC, Brown, Wharton, Carter, Pickering, Edun, Travis, Buckley, Dack, Dolan, Hedges, Markandey, Gallagher.

I imagine the likes of Phillips, Garrett and Butterworth and maybe one or two more from the under 23s will also be around the squad.

We will sign 5 loan players too no doubt to boost the squad numbers.

Only Ayala and Diaz are out of contract in the summer of 2023, and the latter will surely be sold off this summer anyway.

I still think there is a basis of a good side there, with a few decent loans or free transfers to compliment is we should be more than capable of staying around mid table in this league.

The only thing that is a must for me, is that we change managers to give everyone a fresh lift and get new ideas into the club.

I think its an exciting prospect and challenge in the summer if we don't get promote for the manager/head coach whether its Mowbray in charge or a new person to rebuild the squad and if its a new guy a challenge for him to bring in his own players and shape the squad his own way.  

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think its an exciting prospect and challenge in the summer if we don't get promote for the manager/head coach whether its Mowbray in charge or a new person to rebuild the squad and if its a new guy a challenge for him to bring in his own players and shape the squad his own way.  

Its an interesting one - he has to replace 3 first team players with similar quality, bring in loan players of similar quality (or better) and sell Brereton to fund it all - while also replacing him as well.

It is a shame - but for our out of contract players - we would have been in a good position going into next season - without them it will be a challenge.

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Its an interesting one - he has to replace 3 first team players with similar quality, bring in loan players of similar quality (or better) and sell Brereton to fund it all - while also replacing him as well.

It is a shame - but for our out of contract players - we would have been in a good position going into next season - without them it will be a challenge.

I think Lenihan will stay but I think we can replace Nyambe and Rothwell with similar quality and I gave some good examples of potential signings. Like Right position in Brattain from Barnsley or Bree from Luton. On replacing Rothwell I suggested these 3 players in Styles from Barnsley, Brannagan from Oxford and Matty Longstaff from Newcastle. What do you think of these suggestions? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I think Lenihan will stay but I think we can replace Nyambe and Rothwell with similar quality and I gave some good examples of potential signings. Like Right position in Brattain from Barnsley or Bree from Luton. On replacing Rothwell I suggested these 3 players in Styles from Barnsley, Brannagan from Oxford and Matty Longstaff from Newcastle. What do you think of these suggestions? 

I think most of those players will demand higher wages than the players they are replacing.

I hope you are right about Lenihan - I think it will all depend on whether somebody from the lower Premiership comes in for him or not. I would like to think he wouldn't move to another Championship club - but money talks,

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I think most of those players will demand higher wages than the players they are replacing.

I hope you are right about Lenihan - I think it will all depend on whether somebody from the lower Premiership comes in for him or not. I would like to think he wouldn't move to another Championship club - but money talks,

I wouldn't think most of those players I mentioned Would be within our wage structure.

So do I hope I am right about Lenihan