BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Derby County (h) - 15/3/22

12 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I don't think it'll go down as a managerial masterclass, but changing tack during the game and making match winning substitutions is exactly where managers earn their corn. Obviously the first half was a disaster & that's on Mowbray, but his changes were instrumental in us getting the three points. 

God knows he's got his flaws, but there's nothing to be gained by giving him pelters when things go wrong but not giving him any credit when things go our way. 

If we are to credit Mowbray for making the changes that got us out of this rut, can we criticise him for doing it 10 and a half games too late?

• Like 7

Good win and much needed. 

I think it kicked off in the dressing room at ht and TM regrets some of the things he said. That's the impression I get from his post match interview. He's certainly questioning the commitment of some of the more "technical players"  (Rothwell!).

11 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I don't think it'll go down as a managerial masterclass, but changing tack during the game and making match winning substitutions is exactly where managers earn their corn. Obviously the first half was a disaster & that's on Mowbray, but his changes were instrumental in us getting the three points. 

God knows he's got his flaws, but there's nothing to be gained by giving him pelters when things go wrong but not giving him any credit when things go our way. 

To be fair it's football 101 though. Playing defensive midfielders up front when they really can't play that position is absoluteley beyond amateur. If we can all see that's not going to work why can't he?

Who'd have thought though that playing a winger on the wing and a striker up front would lead to goals being created 🤔

Tactical. Fucking. Genius. 

• Like 8

"Playing scared, playing 5 vs 3 at the back"

You're formation is a back 5???

"I could of changed it after 20 minutes, but I didn't want to bin what we've been doing so well for a couple of months."

You haven't scored in 77% of your matches over the last "a couple of months."

But yeah, crack on Tony.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Take it you have a nice plot of land on Mowbray Hill?

I'm not getting into Mowbray in / Mowbray out with you as its pointless. If you can't see it now, you never will.

I'm just saying that a manager who has us fourth, with a decent chance of a play-off place, with his budget, may not be a world beater, but neither is he useless or an imbecile.  

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

We are fourth in the league.

We were second, but your mate Mowbray has left us in the brink of blowing it. Only the fact that, other than Fulham this league is full of average teams has saved us. This years form has been relegation form and it’s down to Mowbray; he didn’t strengthen where needed and has got his Tombola out again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

If we are to credit Mowbray for making the changes that got us out of this rut, can we criticise him for doing it 10 and a half games too late?

Yes. 

I think it comes with a couple of caveats that his tactics also came alongside missed pens & plenty of other chances we should've taken. But yes, he takes the blame for when we underperform. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I'm just saying that a manager who has us fourth, with a decent chance of a play-off place, with his budget, may not be a world beater, but neither is he useless or an imbecile.  

He is both useless and an imbecile. He stumbled across a formation due to lack of players and Brereton found some fantastic form to score goals. Once he was out of the team, we needed a plan B. Tony doesn’t have a plan b, I’m surprised he even has a plan a tbh. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

We were second, but your mate Mowbray has left us in the brink of blowing it. Only the fact that, other than Fulham this league is full of average teams has saved us. This years form has been relegation form and it’s down to Mowbray; he didn’t strengthen where needed and has got his Tombola out again. 

Did he miss the chances against Millwall or Bristol City?  We would be home and dry if the players had done their jobs.

• Like 1

I think it's Andy Bayes doing the interview.

IMO, our local journalists lack balls and don't ask the questions they should and it's why they'll go no further than Radio Lancashire / LT.  I know they have to strike the right balance but, IMO, rolling over and having your stomach tickled is spineless.

Contrast with MEN journalists who are quite scathing when they think a manager's time is up at Old Trafford.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, arbitro said:

His body language here is shocking. I would really like him to admit he got it badly wrong in the first half, I would have more respect for him if he did.

He’s never wrong. 

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Mellelieu said:

iv`e got to disagree,any manager who puts an immobile 36 year old defensive midfielder in a striker position should`nt be in charge of a professional side,it`s not as if it`s an isolated incident either,remember gally at right back,dolan at wing back,armstrong out wide,brereton out wide,i could fill the page with various mowbrayisms,it`s a case of extremely nice man who`s not a very good coach

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

He is both useless and an imbecile. He stumbled across a formation due to lack of players and Brereton found some fantastic form to score goals. Once he was out of the team, we needed a plan B. Tony doesn’t have a plan b, I’m surprised he even has a plan a tbh. 

I think we won tonight because we had a plan B.  But yes, the last few weeks have a disaster.  That said I can't work out why he's useless when we stand fourth in the league.  

If Mowbray can get a consistent tune out of Gally then it will go down as a bigger achievement than any influence he had on Armstrong and Brereton. The lad gave us one of his best 45s tonight after arguably one of his worst ever displays on Saturday. Tonight we saw the £5m striker we signed, doing what we signed him to do. Sadly he’ll start at Reading and be crap. Whatever shit went down in that dressing room at half time needs to be bottled and brought out more often. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

To be fair it's football 101 though. Playing defensive midfielders up front when they really can't play that position is absoluteley beyond amateur. If we can all see that's not going to work why can't he?

Who'd have thought though that playing a winger on the wing and a striker up front would lead to goals being created 🤔

Tactical. Fucking. Genius. 

Trying Johnson up front should have been tried out in a practice game, even if it was only 45 minutes, not in a real game. That’s just amateurish.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I don't think any of us can understand the pressure football managers are under.  Maybe sometimes it just gets too much.

He was asleep on the bench last season! He’s under no pressure whatsoever! At least from our owners. 

4 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Did he miss the chances against Millwall or Bristol City?  We would be home and dry if the players had done their jobs.

No but he signed / selected the players who did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

iv`e got to disagree,any manager who puts an immobile 36 year old defensive midfielder in a striker position should`nt be in charge of a professional side,it`s not as if it`s an isolated incident either,remember gally at right back,dolan at wing back,armstrong out wide,brereton out wide,i could fill the page with various mowbrayisms,it`s a case of extremely nice man who`s not a very good coach

I too thought TM should go this summer, but I think the bile aimed at him is wrong and unfair.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I think we won tonight because we had a plan B.  But yes, the last few weeks have a disaster.  That said I can't work out why he's useless when we stand fourth in the league.  

Johnston. False 9.