BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

3 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

Seemingly he didn't succeed with an expensively assembled Sheff Wed side, not just transfer fees but also on wages - Barry Bannan for example, Aidan McGeady, Callum McMannaman.  Whether his signings or not, he was there to get them promoted and failed.

@superniko has made a good case for his recent record, so not all lost - I was just surprised to see you put him as your preferred choice alongside Farke.

He got 2 top 6 finish and playoff spot. Better than Mowbray did here 

He was the head coach of them not the person deciding on the players they signed or wages they got. 

He is someone I have like since his days at Sheffield United cos he is good coach and set his teams well. 

Carvalhal's CV is impressive, even if you ignore the years prior to Sheff Wed he has done good jobs everywhere he has been since then. Even Swansea he took over a side that look doomed and went close to keeping them up (probably a similar situation to Mowbray here in 2017 yet Mowbray got a new deal whereas Carvalhal didn't).

Yes he spent heavily at Sheff Wed but have to assume he will not be expecting that sort of money at his next club. He will presumably know the parameters before declaring an interest.

It baffles me how some people would overlook his credentials IF he is interested.

Not my first choice but can't think of many stronger CVs. If we want to experiment, develop, float around mid table or get relegated then we need to look for another Mowbray who will shoulder shrug for 4 years and everyone can laud being a ''wonderful human being"

Unfortunately in this nasty cut throat business you need a winner who is going to drag a club up with him. If that means someone like this, who has a couple of seasons go at it and then leaves if he fails then so be it, plenty more fish in the sea afterwards and at least we've tried.

Think he will be out of the equation though. Too bold, too ambitious for this setup. Think they will want a nice chap who will play the uncle role at Brockhall and accept Venky nonsense and budget shenanigans.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He got 2 top 6 finish and playoff spot. Better than Mowbray did here 

He was the head coach of them not the person deciding on the players they signed or wages they got. 

He is someone I have like since his days at Sheffield United cos he is good coach and set his teams well.

Better than Mowbray.... who spent less than £20m in five seasons and (about £0.00 net) and is still criticised for not reaching the playoffs.

I am always uncomfortable with this thought.  If the coach in this DoF scenario isn't heavily involved in the identification of transfer targets in my opinion it's a recipe for disaster.  Your explanation above seems to be that a player just turns up with his boots one day and Carvalhal asks what position he plays.  The detachment of any blame (or indeed praise) for transfers to and from the club is a get out of jail card in my opinion.

Anyway, I was quietly impressed when we was mentioned the other day (like you, I remember his Sheff Wed stint and it seemed impressive) - just noting some caution given the reasons above.

I had no idea of his recent success in Portugal, so that's a positive.

Edited by Jimmy612

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Think Carvalhal's managed too many clubs and probably wouldn't give us stability needed. Not keen on John Hardman either as he's experience is mainly women's football. Different game for me and hope I'm not offending anyone.

The D of F setup actually makes perfect sense, especially at a club such as ours with lunatic owners in another country and the factor of the productive academy too.

The D of F gets his feet under the table, directs Football, sorts out the recruitment department, hires and fires the head coach and coaching staff, sorts out the communication issues with the owners, assembles a squad with the budget he has.

The head coach spends his time and energy working under the D of F concentrating on the first team and everything that comes with that. The head coach then doesn't need to bring in his assistant manager to act as a hybrid D of F, the head coach doesn't need to fly back to India every 12 months, the head coach doesn't need to assemble the whole football structure with his mates.

Head coach gets poor results = head coach gets fired and replaced yet the show continues with zero disruption to recruitment, coaching staff, background staff and overall plan and strategy

The madness of this club is that Mowbray has been allowed to assemble the entire operation and now he's off the whole thing could come caving in.

This obviously requires a proper director of football who actually knows the job and has the right experience. So that rules out moving Venus upstairs to keep him on the payroll or promoting someone else from within or going for some snake oil salesman like we had last time round.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

Better than Mowbray.... who spent less than £20m in five seasons and (about £0.00 net) and is still criticised for not reaching the playoffs.

I am always uncomfortable with this thought.  If the coach in this DoF scenario isn't heavily involved in the identification of transfer targets in my opinion it's a recipe for disaster.  Your explanation above seems to be that a player just turns up with his boots one day and Carvalhal asks what position he plays.  The detachment of any blame (or indeed praise) for transfers to and from the club is a get out of jail card in my opinion.

Anyway, I was quietly impressed when we was mentioned the other day (like you, I remember his Sheff Wed stint and it seemed impressive) - just noting some caution given the reasons above.

I had no idea of his recent success in Portugal, so that's a positive.

Mowbray should have reach the playoffs at least once in those 4 years and for me it was in the first season after promotion we had a good team or in the third season when we had Armstrong scoring for fun and Elliott in the team. This season we were second in the league in February and we didn't make the playoffs. That was mainly down to Mowbray. No excuses for me. 

Its worked perfectly for Norwich with Stuart Webber as DoF and Farke has head coach. Webber worked with Farke on the signings but its was Webber who scouting knowledge and expertise who secured signings like Pukki and Buendia. 

They've elected to roll the dice now so why not give him a go.

The key to it is a sensible contract with bonuses then if it doesn't work then they can part ways without all the usual nonsense.

Got to consider guys like this is we are ever going to take a bit of a gamble otherwise just wheel Grayson or Adkins in and carry on as before.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Pete O’Rourke:

Carlos Carvalhal has emerged as one of the front-runners for the manager’s job at Blackburn Rovers and they can land the Braga boss without having to pay any compensations. It would be a real coup to land the Portuguese tactician. #Rovers #Braga

This would be an unbelievable appointment. A manager who is creative, innovative and modern in his style and tactics and has the ability to build a team that championship managers can’t work out. 

Did a very decent job at Sheffield Wednesday with a playoff final and semi final, you only have to look at the managers who have struggled since. His time at Swansea was also pretty - I believe he kept them up in his first season. 

His time in Portugal is really interesting with locals believe he has revolutionised the football over there. 

An appointment who would be on the level of Farke.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The D of F setup actually makes perfect sense, especially at a club such as ours with lunatic owners in another country and the factor of the productive academy too.

The D of F gets his feet under the table, directs Football, sorts out the recruitment department, hires and fires the head coach and coaching staff, sorts out the communication issues with the owners, assembles a squad with the budget he has.

The head coach spends his time and energy working under the D of F concentrating on the first team and everything that comes with that. The head coach then doesn't need to bring in his assistant manager to act as a hybrid D of F, the head coach doesn't need to fly back to India every 12 months, the head coach doesn't need to assemble the whole football structure with his mates.

Head coach gets poor results = head coach gets fired and replaced yet the show continues with zero disruption to recruitment, coaching staff, background staff and overall plan and strategy

The madness of this club is that Mowbray has been allowed to assemble the entire operation and now he's off the whole thing could come caving in.

This obviously requires a proper director of football who actually knows the job and has the right experience. So that rules out moving Venus upstairs to keep him on the payroll or promoting someone else from within or going for some snake oil salesman like we had last time round.

I agree with you on alot of your points above. 

The DoF should be in charge of the football side of the club and if I was in charge I would be approaching Stuart Webber or Luke Dowling for example today and looking to bring them in asap. 

The head coach should be focusing on the coaching the team, tactics and match days along with should involved in the type of player he wants for the position he wants a signing in, but the DoF does the work with the recruitment to bring players the head coach wants. 

The head coach should be allow to bring in his own number 2, goalkeeper coach and fitness coach. The DoF should be bringing the right of the staff like Physios, doctors and recruitment/scouting staff. 

10 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Pete O’Rourke:

Carlos Carvalhal has emerged as one of the front-runners for the manager’s job at Blackburn Rovers and they can land the Braga boss without having to pay any compensations. It would be a real coup to land the Portuguese tactician. #Rovers #Braga

he works for Football insider

• Backroom

I'm a bit surprised that chaddy's suggestion of Knutsen isn't getting much love. The more I look into him, the more I put him on the level of Farke, Dyche, Carvalhal

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Pete O’Rourke:

Into this. Could be a shrewd move.

2 hours ago, den said:

I find that so sad. Sad that they took over a fantastic stadium (IMO) and just allowed it to fall into the state it is. 
Looking after the stadium is the least they should have done. There again, they were planning to break up the beautiful Academy training ground as well.

I know they are the owners and do put cash in but you could be forgiven for thinking that deep down they have no pride in their club.

I think you can see neglect with the Academy and STC - from the perimeter, it looks tired with fencing and signage leaning in some areas and grass uncut.  As with the outside of some houses, looks unkempt to me.  IMO, a market deterioration over the years.

• Like 1

While he wouldn’t be my first choice, the idea of Ferguson is growing on me.

There has been a lot of talk of different manager “types”. Rather than a “development coach” I’d prefer someone who will drag us out of this league kicking and screaming. Haven’t got much to base it on, but feel he could fit the bill. A modern day Souness type maybe.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

People will put bets on what they have heard or read from ITK's or what others are saying. 

I did put a bet on Farke to be our next manager at 20/1. Based on what Glen Mullan posted on here. Also backed Carlos Carvalhal at 25/1 when Nixon said he was interested in the job here. I have gone for a few outsiders including Grayson. I backed Grayson cos of that TV studio appearance at Rovers game with PNE

But the right appointment is Daniel Farke or Carlos Carvalhal with a director of football above them. 

Crikey, with that number of bets you wont win much even if you've backed the right one!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I'm a bit surprised that chaddy's suggestion of Knutsen isn't getting much love. The more I look into him, the more I put him on the level of Farke, Dyche, Carvalhal

I put him in the same category as dyche- would 100% be overjoyed but it’s pie in the sky stuff , he will have suitors much higher up the chain than us 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, toogs said:

I’m guessing Gally on the wing with Dolan through the middle would be unlikely with this guy. 

I honestly can’t wait for 2pm come first game of the season. A team of 11 in their natural positions could be enough to make me cry.