BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They’ve decided on a simple but effective system of play and recruited the players to play it. Two strikers !  Yeah I like that very much. You increase your chances of scoring massively.

Then you look at Rovers trying to football their way out of the division without the players capable of playing that way.

Two excellent strikers too. One of them limited due to injury this season and the other is third top goalscorer in this league.

Only cost about £2m between them.

4 minutes ago, booth said:

Two excellent strikers too. One of them limited due to injury this season and the other is third top goalscorer in this league.

Only cost about £2m between them.

I’ve watched Morris quite a lot over the years - he was always a busy hardworking physical forward who’d run all day. But having to shoulder the burden of leading the line meant he was a bit of a blunt instrument. However putting another guy up there with him to share the work means he’s become much more dangerous in front of goal.

For me there’s a lesson there.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

If you were offered a free pick of all players on the pitch yesterday to play a match for you to win 10 million pounds - how many Rovers players would be in your team?

Take out sentiment, potential and history and i’m struggling for more than 2 and both are defenders…

JDT has done a decent job over the season but needed 1 or 2 strikers in january to ek out wins when the pressure increased. I hope he stays but think he will leave

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Athlete said:

JDT cost us a place at wembley with his subs

His five at the back inviting pressure

Laughing on the bench when two down at rotherham

Putting a winger on at full back v Cov

There is a reason or two why he was turned down for the Hibs gig

As for that clown GB he should have been sacked on the spot for the o brien deblacle

Waggot has conned another one I see.

Broughton got O'Brien through the door. Waggot and his Secretary failed to complete the paperwork. The blame lands firmly at his feet.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

I'd agree but we have no height so crosses and corners are pointless.

We have very little pace so through balls need to be perfect.

We're reliant 9n passing our way forward and that can be severely frustrating.

Too many fundamental flaws showed up yesterday though and some of them could and should have been altered.

Starting at home in a must win game we have BBD stood out on the left doing nothing as he mostly did v Burnley, not even able to control simple passes. Being bawled at by teammates constantly to drop back in position or press instead of standing with his hands on his hips brushing his hair.

Dolan - again - running around in circles falling over himself not really knowing if he's a false nine or leading the line etc.

Hedges looking like he's running in treacle attack after attack breaks down because he's a left footer on the right always has to turn it onto his best foot.  Muddles his feet and loses the ball.

Wharton - Steven Gerrard v Burnley suddenly turns into Morton v Luton

Then comes half time and changes should have been made and new instructions given with regard to get into them 2nd half and up the tempo.  What happens ?    Well we plod out and carry on as normal and they are the ones upping the tempo and to no surprise to anyone in the ground they score.

No urgency and changes or directness until we are behind again.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Too many fundamental flaws showed up yesterday though and some of them could and should have been altered.

Starting at home in a must win game we have BBD stood out on the left doing nothing as he mostly did v Burnley, not even able to control simple passes. Being bawled at by teammates constantly to drop back in position or press instead of standing with his hands on his hips brushing his hair.

Dolan - again - running around in circles falling over himself not really knowing if he's a false nine or leading the line etc.

Hedges looking like he's running in treacle attack after attack breaks down because he's a left footer on the right always has to turn it onto his best foot.  Muddles his feet and loses the ball.

Wharton - Steven Gerrard v Burnley suddenly turns into Morton v Luton

Then comes half time and changes should have been made and new instructions given with regard to get into them 2nd half and up the tempo.  What happens ?    Well we plod out and carry on as normal and they are the ones upping the tempo and to no surprise to anyone in the ground they score.

No urgency and changes or directness until we are behind again.

What do you change them to though?

There's no correct pick for first team with that squad, there's no correct sub. Our forward options have been poor for more than this season, they did exactly the same last season. And I'll be glad to see the back of Brereton. Even if we did manage to get into the play offs we'll be relying on him to perform. He didn't even look match fit yesterday.

I've seen opposition teams have players on the bench who can change a game. We have none of that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

(Speaking on the assumption we're going to miss out on the play offs)

If he walked to join another Club I think I'd be a bit disappointed rather than devastated but despite the fact Ive been far from impressed with what I've witnessed this season he has probably just about done enough to deserve another crack at it next season.

We need a competent CEO and, if we're going to persevere with the DOF model, an actual experienced DOF rather than an overpromoted Academy Head far more urgently than we need to change the manager.

I wish Mowbray had been held to this impossible standard.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Impossible standard for us…

He's given 6 Academy debuts and been left with Dolan, Hedges, Gallagher, Vale and the corpses of Dack and Brereton-Diaz upfront. He's a good manager, but he's not a miracle worker.

• Like 8

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

He's given 6 Academy debuts and been left with Dolan, Hedges, Gallagher, Vale and the corpses of Dack and Brereton-Diaz upfront. He's a good manager, but he's not a miracle worker.

I like him, I was more on about the competent CEO and experienced DoF part

23 minutes ago, booth said:

What do you change them to though?

There's no correct pick for first team with that squad, there's no correct sub. Our forward options have been poor for more than this season, they did exactly the same last season. And I'll be glad to see the back of Brereton. Even if we did manage to get into the play offs we'll be relying on him to perform. He didn't even look match fit yesterday.

I've seen opposition teams have players on the bench who can change a game. We have none of that.

I would have thought it was quite simple Thomas should have started yesterday and although dropping BBD might seem a bold move i'm not sure it is.  We had a decent spell when he was out and the team imo looked better balanced going forward then than it does with him in.

Despite having a go at individuals saying they aren't good enough they are the same ones who got us into the top 6 with a comfortable cushion over Norwich.

So they clearly are good enough they were just misfiring and part of that problem is the set up they are so disjointed across the front.  Yesterday was a must win game and despite competing well v Burnley in a very intense game we never really looked like scoring nor made their keeper do anything.

That's been a recurring theme recently and something JDT seems to ignore you won't score goals unless you are having a go and making a keeper work.

There should have been a shake up yesterday imo whether starting or half tie but there wasn't until we were losing.

Dack was also an option he does nothing coming from the bench but starting he could surely hold the ball up in that position than Dolan ever will.  Then of course there is Leonard whose little cameos have shown more movement inside the box than the rest manage in an entire 90 mins.

These are always options there people go on about us being lightweight squad wise but look at that bench yesterday it's hardly the worst in the top 10.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I would have thought it was quite simple Thomas should have started yesterday and although dropping BBD might seem a bold move i'm not sure it is.  We had a decent spell when he was out and the team imo looked better balanced going forward then than it does with him in.

Despite having a go at individuals saying they aren't good enough they are the same ones who got us into the top 6 with a comfortable cushion over Norwich.

So they clearly are good enough they were just misfiring and part of that problem is the set up they are so disjointed across the front.  Yesterday was a must win game and despite competing well v Burnley in a very intense game we never really looked like scoring nor made their keeper do anything.

That's been a recurring theme recently and something JDT seems to ignore you won't score goals unless you are having a go and making a keeper work.

There should have been a shake up yesterday imo whether starting or half tie but there wasn't until we were losing.

Dack was also an option he does nothing coming from the bench but starting he could surely hold the ball up in that position than Dolan ever will.  Then of course there is Leonard whose little cameos have shown more movement inside the box than the rest manage in an entire 90 mins.

These are always options there people go on about us being lightweight squad wise but look at that bench yesterday it's hardly the worst in the top 10.

And if you were the manager people would now be giving you dogs abuse lamenting how Dack is a shadow of his former self, Leonard isn't ready and Thomas is shit (not my words by the way) and we've dropped our top scorer.

I remember a time when it was easy to pick out who the first team was on a match day. Now it's such a low bar that there's no correct set of forwards or midfielders, it's always a mish mash. Dolan wouldn't be anywhere near a centre forward role if the club was run properly.

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Not sure folk would’ve had much issue with BBD being on the bench in favour of say Thomas. The crowd has long given up on him.

My point is that some would because we still wouldn't score goals, as we've already seen.

There will be a good number of people on here who even in August were tipping us for a relegation scrap who are also calling for JDTs head because we've had a poor season. 

We can all be disappointed with how the season has ended and dropping out the top 6 etc but a little perspective - none of us anticipated a play off fight and with no goal scorer in the team we've done well to even be in with a shout. 

I know project is a dirty word and we don't generally like to give people time but it was never going to be instant given the state of the squad at the end of last season and how late it was before we got new manager and DoF in. 

TM previously banged on about the project and then had to rebuild the squad every summer. For the first time in a while we head into summer and I'm thinking that a handful of quality additions means we can really push on whereas previously I was thinking we need to replace half the squad to just stand still. 

Overall I think JDT has done a good job - granted there have been frustrations e.g. when he's not been braver at 1 up and ended up concealing an equaliser and I think that if we have a good window he can get us into the play offs next season. 

• Like 8

Well you aren’t going to please everyone, the manager has to switch it up when you haven’t won in nine in the run-in, but I’m not sure there would have been much in the way of rumblings with dropping BBD, Booth.

He’s been phoning it in and the fans have had enough. Alas, JDT doesn’t have the balls to drop him, because he’s a ‘goalscorer’ in a team without them… only problem is he’s scored *two* in open play since November.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, booth said:

And if you were the manager people would now be giving you dogs abuse lamenting how Dack is a shadow of his former self, Leonard isn't ready and Thomas is shit (not my words by the way) and we've dropped our top scorer.

I remember a time when it was easy to pick out who the first team was on a match day. Now it's such a low bar that there's no correct set of forwards or midfielders, it's always a mish mash. Dolan wouldn't be anywhere near a centre forward role if the club was run properly.

Not if it had worked but he's being questioned anyway and i'll say it again one win in 8 says what he has been doing has not been working.

However he just stands behind this 'great performance' gubbins which competing with Burnley aside hasn't been the case for a long while now.  Like Mowbray before him dominating possession stats seems to be the only thing that matter when judging how good a performance actually was.

Chances created, goals scored and wins clocked up - whatever happened to all that !

• Like 1

• Backroom
58 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

There will be a good number of people on here who even in August were tipping us for a relegation scrap who are also calling for JDTs head because we've had a poor season. 

We can all be disappointed with how the season has ended and dropping out the top 6 etc but a little perspective - none of us anticipated a play off fight and with no goal scorer in the team we've done well to even be in with a shout. 

I know project is a dirty word and we don't generally like to give people time but it was never going to be instant given the state of the squad at the end of last season and how late it was before we got new manager and DoF in. 

TM previously banged on about the project and then had to rebuild the squad every summer. For the first time in a while we head into summer and I'm thinking that a handful of quality additions means we can really push on whereas previously I was thinking we need to replace half the squad to just stand still. 

Overall I think JDT has done a good job - granted there have been frustrations e.g. when he's not been braver at 1 up and ended up concealing an equaliser and I think that if we have a good window he can get us into the play offs next season. 

Without naming names, there are eight regular posters doing exactly that. And entirely without irony.

I completely agree with your post.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Broughton got O'Brien through the door. Waggot and his Secretary failed to complete the paperwork. The blame lands firmly at his feet.

Silvester isn’t Waggott’s secretary, he’s the club’s secretary.

I agree with you on where the blame lies though (based on the info in the public domain)

• Like 1

• Backroom

In the predictions thread I think it's on average a finish between 9th - 14th tbf? Granted it isn't a huge sample size, but I'm not sure how true it is that there was mass acceptance we'd be in a relegation scrap this season. 

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Waggot and the Secretary completed the paperwork. The problem was they didn't have the required information to complete it until the last minute, hence why it was late. Who's fault is that no-body knows, but Saint Gregg took responsibility so I'm guessing he knows he's partly to blame.

But all you Saint Gregg lovers keep shouting "But he can't complete the paperwork". 

Edited by Hasta