BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

League position prediction - now for season’s end…

If we can stick in the top half, hopefully within touching distance of the play offs and beat Burnley I'll be happy. We need something to play for second half of the season and definitely not a relegation battle.

To answer the question I think around 10th-12th. We need to make ewood a fortress because we aren't good enough to beat good sides away from home.

Edited by Danny O.Brien

Does it really matter what position we are in -as long as we don't look like relegation candidates, - we are apparently on a project transformation about whether we stay up - for me if we see more progression of what we see on the field and how we play-after the boring  mowbollx  I haven't got clue what I am doing scenario;  it's a bonus.

• Like 1

Watford and Burnley are two games which stand out as very difficult. Every other game we have a shout in.

I'd be disappointed if we don't stay in the 7th to 13th range, and near the top of that at that.

In playing staff I don't actually think we are much weaker than last year. We shouldn't be expecting to finish lower. Our challenges imo have mainly been tactical. We haven't sorted out our best system and best team.

11 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Watford and Burnley are two games which stand out as very difficult. Every other game we have a shout in.

But not if we play like we did against Brizzle. Cart and horses through our midfield and defence almost at will. 

I think we will stabilise once Scott Wharton gets back into the side, as he brings a calmness and maturity about his game that helps counteract the clear deficiencies we have in midfield. 

No need to panic yet. I'd be happy with 10th and somehow having nicked a win over the six fingered ones...

Before the season started I suggested we would be about 12th for the season, nothing I have seen has changed that view.. given the amount of upheaval and change, this season is about transition.. 

Given our transfer spend, realistic 3yr plan would look like.. Yr1.. 12-16 Yr 2.. close to the play offs..Yr 3.. play offs..

Maybe even optimistic more than realistic 

4 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Before the season started I suggested we would be about 12th for the season, nothing I have seen has changed that view.. given the amount of upheaval and change, this season is about transition.. 

Given our transfer spend, realistic 3yr plan would look like.. Yr1.. 12-16 Yr 2.. close to the play offs..Yr 3.. play offs..

Maybe even optimistic more than realistic 

Oh no..... a long term project. Mowbray had one of those too. Great if they work out, but they rarely do because managers have a limited shelf life and get found out sooner rather than later. I'd wager that Tomasson won't be here in 3years

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 1

On 04/09/2022 at 13:49, Sweaty Gussets said:

Below are our next 13 fixtures,  up until the month long winter break for the  World Cup. 

Based on what you've seen so far, what position do you think we'll be after the Burnley away game? 

Options:

1st -6th

7th - 13th

14th - 20th

21st - 24th

I'm genuinely concerned. I'm predicting 14th-20th, not far above the relegation zone. 

Why? We've got an inexperienced manager who may or may not be any good. We've also got a young team who if we continue losing will lose confidence. 

image.png.ec48bb31c77c0b601c6d213be6719a8b.png

image.png.76c99d7763ce5d49a1382b3530ae9001.png

I predict 4th if we can  play like we did against Blackpool more consistently.

On 04/09/2022 at 13:49, Sweaty Gussets said:

Below are our next 13 fixtures,  up until the month long winter break for the  World Cup. 

Based on what you've seen so far, what position do you think we'll be after the Burnley away game? 

Options:

1st -6th

7th - 13th

14th - 20th

21st - 24th

I'm genuinely concerned. I'm predicting 14th-20th, not far above the relegation zone. 

Why? We've got an inexperienced manager who may or may not be any good. We've also got a young team who if we continue losing will lose confidence. 

image.png.ec48bb31c77c0b601c6d213be6719a8b.png

image.png.76c99d7763ce5d49a1382b3530ae9001.png

Were a lot better than 14-20th when we play the football were capable of.

1 hour ago, RoversTilliDie said:

I predict 4th if we can  play like we did against Blackpool more consistently.

Yeah but there are probably only half a dozen teams in the league who will let us play the way Blackpool did (442, loads of room in the midfield, loads of space in behind). 

Most teams, as we have found, are not playing the way Blackpool played - much more physical, pack the midfield, three at the back, pace on the wings - and we get easily beaten. So we need some different ideas imo. I don't think just playing like we did against Blackpool will move us forward.

• Like 1

On 10/09/2022 at 18:25, MarkBRFC said:

Yeah 14th-20th seems about right.

Most concerning thing for me is never being able to get a result after going behind, although that's certainly a problem from before this season.

We need that never say die spirit in the team, get off the ropes when were behind and hit back. It should come from the captain motivating his team when there behind.

3 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

We need that never say die spirit in the team, get off the ropes when were behind and hit back. It should come from the captain motivating his team when there behind.

Never really does here though.

Only won 9 points after going behind first last season, 0 so far this season.

I don't think we have come from behind to win an away game at this level since 2014.

Edited by MarkBRFC

23 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Oh no..... a long term project. Mowbray had one of those too. Great if they work out, but they rarely do because managers have a limited shelf life and get found out sooner rather than later. I'd wager that Tomasson won't be here in 3years

Everybody is scarred by the words project and journey after Mowbray. But that's only because he'd get grumpy, stamp on his compass half way and change direction. I've never known somebody shift the goalposts as much as he did. 

The reality is though we are on a journey and I'm not sure what else anybody can expect. JDT summed it up perfectly by saying he wants immediate success but he has to be realistic. I'm happy with the signals coming out the club. And the hope is that, should JDT not last 3 years, then we have continuity in Broughton who can bring in another manager of a similar style, rather than tearing up the script and starting from scratch.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Never really does here though.

Only won 9 points after going behind first last season, 0 so far this season.

I don't think we have come from behind to win an away game at this level since 2014.

I seem to remember us coming from behind to win at Derby in the 2016/7 season (the 38 pass Danny Graham goal was the winner) but your point is still well made. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Everybody is scarred by the words project and journey after Mowbray. But that's only because he'd get grumpy, stamp on his compass half way and change direction. I've never known somebody shift the goalposts as much as he did. 

The reality is though we are on a journey and I'm not sure what else anybody can expect. JDT summed it up perfectly by saying he wants immediate success but he has to be realistic. I'm happy with the signals coming out the club. And the hope is that, should JDT not last 3 years, then we have continuity in Broughton who can bring in another manager of a similar style, rather than tearing up the script and starting from scratch.

This is spot on. The journey took so many detours. We went from possession hungry (and often tedious) to counter attacking to Bradley Johnson in a false 9. And like you said, it was usually Mowbray spitting the dummy about something. 

• Like 2