BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Would we have won the 92-93 Premier League had Shearer stayed fit?

I think most people would agree that it’s a very real possibility. Even United fans who were around at that time, if they are being honest, would admit that if they had been put under pressure in the last ten games the weight of not having won the league for almost 30 years might have done for them, just as it did the previous season when Leeds won it. 

I have posted previously that another ‘sliding doors’ moment was letting Speedie go as part of the Shearer deal. Had we had him to come in after King Al’s Boxing Day injury I also think we would have won the league. His partnership with Newell was already tried and tested, albeit in the second tier.

Great pub discussion 🍻

Edited by oldjamfan1

57 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

I think we definitely would've done. However, conversely, I think that Utd would've won it in '95 had Cantona not been banned for his infamous 'Kung-Fu Kick' at Selhurst Park. Our form at the end of that season seriously tailed off when the pressure was on.

And yet they went on a fantastic run after he got banned?

• Like 1

I think it’s easy to forget just how good Shearer was that first half season, I’ve never seen anything like it. He and Rovers had our barren spell after the famous Norwich victory and I think he’d have scored another 20 in the second half of the season.

There were a couple of other factors. Results weren’t great between Alan Wright getting injured and Le Saux coming in, and Tony Dobson didn’t last long. The other was Patrik Anderson. I’m not sure we utilised him effectively while Cowans was out and maybe he came to England a few years early.

But the short answer is yes, we’d have done it.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I think it’s easy to forget just how good Shearer was that first half season, I’ve never seen anything like it. He and Rovers had our barren spell after the famous Norwich victory and I think he’d have scored another 20 in the second half of the season.

There were a couple of other factors. Results weren’t great between Alan Wright getting injured and Le Saux coming in, and Tony Dobson didn’t last long. The other was Patrik Anderson. I’m not sure we utilised him effectively while Cowans was out and maybe he came to England a few years early.

But the short answer is yes, we’d have done it.

iv`e always maintained that if shearer had`nt got his first knee injury he would have been up there with the very best strikers of all time,he was unplayable,that cruciate injury robbed him of quite a bit of  initial pace that used to take him past defenders,he had to modify his game quite a bit after the injury,still did`nt do to badly though!!!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

I think we definitely would've done. However, conversely, I think that Utd would've won it in '95 had Cantona not been banned for his infamous 'Kung-Fu Kick' at Selhurst Park. Our form at the end of that season seriously tailed off when the pressure was on.

Our form from Feb - mid April was excellent but after that we started getting nervous.   I remember we played Leeds at Elland road and were winning 1-0 and let in a last minute equaliser.  If we won that there was no catching us. Think that was the start of the rot.  Then the infamous Man City at home defeat.  I think that was a real indicator of nerves.   But then we threw in good win against Palace and Newcastle.  I actually saw the whole game at Anfield recently as they were reshowing it on sky.  We played quite well looking back at it. The problem was Shearer missing a sitter and Sutton with a Hans Moleman effort in the 2nd half.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I think most people would agree that it’s a very real possibility. Even United fans who were around at that time, if they are being honest, would admit that if they had been put under pressure in the last ten games the weight of not having won the league for almost 30 years might have done for them, just as it did the previous season when Leeds won it. 

Surely our having not won the league for even longer would have been as bad or worse for us?

1 hour ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Our form from Feb - mid April was excellent but after that we started getting nervous.   I remember we played Leeds at Elland road and were winning 1-0 and let in a last minute equaliser.  If we won that there was no catching us. Think that was the start of the rot.  Then the infamous Man City at home defeat.  I think that was a real indicator of nerves.   But then we threw in good win against Palace and Newcastle.  I actually saw the whole game at Anfield recently as they were reshowing it on sky.  We played quite well looking back at it. The problem was Shearer missing a sitter and Sutton with a Hans Moleman effort in the 2nd half.

The one that Sutton missed was something else. I’d have had sleepless nights for weeks if that had have cost us the league. My mum could have put that one in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

I remember we played Leeds at Elland road and were winning 1-0 and let in a last minute equaliser.  If we won that there was no catching us. 

I don't usually blame the refs but we were short-changed by them in that game and the subsequent game against City.

We were in total control of that game against Leeds but only scored the one. However we had the clearest penalty I'ver ever seen disallowed late on in the second half. Obvious foul on Shearer. Even Leeds fans around me thought so.

And the City game was a farce culminating in a ridiculous penalty for City that never was.

I've never got over that because it stopped me seeing the title won at home against Newcastle.

Having to survive Milosko's heroics for West Ham and watching Cole's misses meant we won the title but t wasn't the same.

I couldn't go to the Liverpool game. 😬

• Like 1

On 07/10/2022 at 00:23, 47er said:

I don't usually blame the refs but we were short-changed by them in that game and the subsequent game against City.

We were in total control of that game against Leeds but only scored the one. However we had the clearest penalty I'ver ever seen disallowed late on in the second half. Obvious foul on Shearer. Even Leeds fans around me thought so.

And the City game was a farce culminating in a ridiculous penalty for City that never was.

I've never got over that because it stopped me seeing the title won at home against Newcastle.

Having to survive Milosko's heroics for West Ham and watching Cole's misses meant we won the title but t wasn't the same.

I couldn't go to the Liverpool game. 😬

Yeah I remember the ref gave a very dubious penalty for a ''foul'' on Niall Quinn.  Awful weather that night.  The pitch was a mudbath.  I remember against Chelsea at home in March there was polefork marks all over the mud.  

Yes shame as I was also at the Newcastle game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Yeah I remember the ref gave a very dubious penalty for a ''foul'' on Niall Quinn.  Awful weather that night.  The pitch was a mudbath.  I remember against Chelsea at home in March there was polefork marks all over the mud.  

Yes shame as I was also at the Newcastle game.

I met up with the referee from that match in Cardiff on Tuesday as he is a close friend. I also met him immediately after that City match at the Redhouse where he was stopping. I said similar to what everyone was saying that it was a harsh penalty. He told me that Ian Pearce had got hold of Quinn's shorts and impeded him. When I saw it back he was right. As an aside he told me a Rovers fan had chased him as he pulled away from Ewood and when he described him I recognised immediately who it was. Some years later I gave them each others phone numbers and they often chatted. My friend did some work for Cardiff City and when we played there a few years ago I arranged for them to meet up which they did. The Rovers fan was given a ground tour, photographs were taken and the story covered by the Lancashire Telegraph. My friend said the parting words were "It was never a bloody penalty though".

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/10334193.referee-reunited-angry-blackburn-rovers-fan-18-years/

• Like 6

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I met up with the referee from that match in Cardiff on Tuesday as he is a close friend. I also met him immediately after that City match at the Redhouse where he was stopping. I said similar to what everyone was saying that it was a harsh penalty. He told me that Ian Pearce had got hold of Quinn's shorts and impeded him. When I saw it back he was right. As an aside he told me a Rovers fan had chased him as he pulled away from Ewood and when he described him I recognised immediately who it was. Some years later I gave them each others phone numbers and they often chatted. My friend did some work for Cardiff City and when we played there a few years ago I arranged for them to meet up which they did. The Rovers fan was given a ground tour, photographs were taken and the story covered by the Lancashire Telegraph. My friend said the parting words were "It was never a bloody penalty though".

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/10334193.referee-reunited-angry-blackburn-rovers-fan-18-years/

I suppose they even themselves out.  Newcastle were denied a blatant last minute penalty on 8 May when Hendry brought down Keith Gillespie.  Hendry was loved and a great defender but he used to dive into rash tackles a lot.  They say great defenders stay on their feet as they dont need to dive as they are always in the right positions a la Alan Hansen.  My abiding memory of Hendry is two feet off the ground flying into last gasp attempts at defending.

Please don't lynch my house🤣

• Like 3

On 06/10/2022 at 17:47, Miller11 said:

I think it’s easy to forget just how good Shearer was that first half season, I’ve never seen anything like it. He and Rovers had our barren spell after the famous Norwich victory and I think he’d have scored another 20 in the second half of the Season

I just remember having the pleasure of walking back up Livesey Branch Rd,on cloud nine with a grin like a Cheshire cat and in total fecking awe at what I had just witnessed after most home games.

🤩

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 4

We'd have certainly won one of the cups. I remember feeling absolutely distraught leaving Bramhall Lane after Sheff Utd had done us on pens. They were such a poor side as well but we were relying on Steve Livingstone up front by then.

Edited by LDRover
Wrong player