BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

25 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I was just wondering about his age and you saved me from having to Google.

He does still look in good nick and so much high level experience.

His occupying of the CBs creates opportunity and space for the likes of Mbappe to exploit when he cuts in.

Like Teddy Sheringham and Peter Crouch,  not dissimilar players with lengthy careers, he has the advantage that he didn't have any pace to lose.

• Like 1

Another good thing about this World Cup, is that there has been no evidence, so far, of any plastic chair throwing competitions between supporters.

The type of supporter that engages is this sort of thing still has enough nouse to realise that any nonsense in regimes such as Qatar and Russia (last World Cup) could land them in serious trouble. Trouble they could find it difficult to get out of.

Great to see, or not see, as is the case here. With England v France on the horizon, I hope I’ve not spoken too soon.

Edited by Claytons Left Boot

21 hours ago, DE. said:

Spain have been incredibly boring to watch since they first started this tiki-taka stuff in 2008. At the time it was successful so you can't blame them for doing so, but watching them play was, for me at least, 95% yawn inducing and 5% very impressive. It wasn't worth watching an hour and a half for brief flashes of brilliance, I could just watch the highlights for that.

Nowadays teams have adapted to that style and worked out how to nullify it - Spain either need to evolve or accept they're back to where they were in the 90s, a largely irrelevent team who have potential but never get anywhere.

Very true. Look at Man City. Yes Haaland is an incredible player, but he is the type of player Guardiola the present day king of tika-taka would have typically not had in his side. With Haaland City have adapted. When they are having zero luck breaking down a defensive side they swing a cross into the box. Or go longer to use his physicality to disrupt. Tika-taka is still plan A, but they mix it up with plan B throughout a game. Pep has adapted. 

Spain had Morata. He's not in the same league as Haaland but has a similar style. I think he started every game on the bench, then anytime he came on they looked far more threatening. The need for a proper centre forward has returned. 

2 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Very true. Look at Man City. Yes Haaland is an incredible player, but he is the type of player Guardiola the present day king of tika-taka would have typically not had in his side. With Haaland City have adapted. When they are having zero luck breaking down a defensive side they swing a cross into the box. Or go longer to use his physicality to disrupt. Tika-taka is still plan A, but they mix it up with plan B throughout a game. Pep has adapted. 

Spain had Morata. He's not in the same league as Haaland but has a similar style. I think he started every game on the bench, then anytime he came on they looked far more threatening. The need for a proper centre forward has returned. 

Yeah and to be fair even in 2008-2012 they had players like Torres and Llorente who could play a physical striker role.  I don't think you can get away with not having a striker at all unless you vastly outmatch your opponents, which Spain have not.

19 minutes ago, roverandout said:

No way should sterling walk straight back into the team. Great option on the bench but if he walks back In it's a disgrace 

What if Sterling walks back into the side, and is instrumental in us beating France. Would that still be a disgrace ?

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Guess not but he hasn't shown England for me 

He bagged against Iran and although fundamentally, I think we do have better options, he tends to do well for England.

I wouldn’t have that much of a problem with him starting, given his tournament performances in recent years for England.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He has done well for England but I don't see how you can possibly drop Foden or Saka.

You could easily make that case for Rashford in the last game, too, but we did.

I’m for keeping a winning team together myself, though.

Kane seems to play better with Sterling than he does Foden, but you'd rather Foden than Sterling. So it is a strange one

If Southgate did start Sterling I wouldn't throw my toys out the pram. We will be countering a fair bit in this game, and his ability to make the back post tap in could be crucial

But I suspect he won't, I do think we will see Rashford play for either Saka or Foden

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 1

I doubt we will be changing the team. If we do it will be probably to drop a striker and play a third centre back. Could go to : 

Pickford

Walker      Stones     Maguire

Trippier   Henderon   Rice    Bellingham  Shaw

Saka         Kane

But... Saka, Foden, Henderson, Rice and Bellingham have all been so good I can't see one of them being dropped. I think we will take our chances in 4231 but tell Walker to sit deep at right back and play an almost entirely defensive game against Mbappe.

15 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I doubt we will be changing the team. If we do it will be probably to drop a striker and play a third centre back. Could go to : 

Pickford

Walker      Stones     Maguire

Trippier   Henderon   Rice    Bellingham  Shaw

Saka         Kane

But... Saka, Foden, Henderson, Rice and Bellingham have all been so good I can't see one of them being dropped. I think we will take our chances in 4231 but tell Walker to sit deep at right back and play an almost entirely defensive game against Mbappe.

I'm going with the same team as last time out. Even if Sterling is a Southgate favourite he's been absent all week. 

Mbappe is special but CL teams don't change their entire gameplan when playing PSG. I don't think that England should either. Kyle Walker is a capable full back. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'm going with the same team as last time out. Even if Sterling is a Southgate favourite he's been absent all week. 

Mbappe is special but CL teams don't change their entire gameplan when playing PSG. I don't think that England should either. Kyle Walker is a capable full back. 

I actually think Sterling is one of the best players in this squad

He may not be the best at club level, but for England his performances over the past 3 years have been sensational

He works off Kane and is always in the right place at the right time - he may not start, but I think we will at least see him

The only certainty for me is that Grealish or Maddison won't start; Grealish because Southgate sees him as a 'closer' and Maddison because he's not fit. I don't think anything else is off the table to be honest.

I personally think he may go with Saka and Rashford

• Like 2