BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

I look at our teams recently and have to question the line about developing young players.

Kaminski plays every week - not young

Ayala plays every week when fit - not young

Hyam plays every week - not young

Gallagher when fit - not young

BBD about to walk for nothing

Dack now playing every week - not young

Even people like Scott Wharton, Harry Pickering, Travis, Buckley, Callum Brittain, Szmodics aren't young in football terms - they should be at their peak and are experienced pros now.

What we really have is a handful of promising youngsters - Ash Phillips, Adam Wharton, Jake Garrett - who are genuinely young and have made the breakthrough into the first team, yet in recent weeks have appeared less and less or shown they aren't yet up to it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

What we really have is a handful of promising youngsters - Ash Phillips, Adam Wharton, Jake Garrett - who are genuinely young and have made the breakthrough into the first team, yet in recent weeks have appeared less and less or shown they aren't yet up to it.

I suppose young player will be in and out of the team depending on form/confidence etc. 

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I look at our teams recently and have to question the line about developing young players.

Even people like Scott Wharton, Harry Pickering, Travis, Buckley, Callum Brittain, Szmodics aren't young in football terms - they should be at their peak and are experienced pros now.

All three youngsters that you mention, are or have been injured, that may account for them not playing.

54 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Andy Bayes said exactly this to JDT in the build up to the weekend and it caught him off guard. Tried saying, we often end games with much less experience on the pitch, injuries etc. etc. etc.

9 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Lewis Travis to Millwall - probably bullshit

Even though probably only a rumour - it shows how far down the pecking order he has gone that there is even a rumour that he would go to Millwall. No offence to them, but it isn't long ago that he was rumoured to be interesting lower premiership clubs. After a good start to the season, his form has fallen off a cliff.

• Like 2

Rumour or not I would stick with Travis. Unless we got a really good offer of course. He's had a bit of bad run but he has been brilliant for the most part since breaking into the first team. I think he'll benefit from the time out of the side just like Dack did. He couldn't get on the pitch at one point and now is arguably our most important player.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

He fancied him enough to make him captain. Probably not many alternatives at the time. I think being captain has cocked up his game. Take that burden off him and he may regain his form. 

He isn't competent enough on the ball to play in this system, unfortunately.

That error against Preston was criminal. Just absolute basic football skills that he doesn't have.

• Like 2

Travis played every game for us last season which got into promotion contention, and played every game this until our downturn in form which he seems to have been made the scapegoat for (substitute for previous CMs - Williamson, Lowe, Evans). If the manager doesn't like him I think that raises concerns about the manager given he made him captain and played him every game until the start of this year. Does it take 20 odd games and 6 months to conclude you don't like a player?

Incidentally how many players in this squad would people say have improved as the season goes on? Dack maybe but I suspect that is more down to fitness rebuilding than anything. I'd say virtually everyone else has deteriorated as the season has gone on.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

So we have missed out now as far as youre concerned?

Cantwell was an option for us to replace BBD who might be moving to Villarreal either this window or summer on a pre contract. 

But my point was players who had signed for other championship clubs that I feel we haven't missed out now anyone who would vastly improve us.  

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cantwell was an option for us to replace BBD who might be moving to Villarreal either this window or summer on a pre contract. 

But my point was players who had signed for other championship clubs that I feel we haven't missed out now anyone who would vastly improve us.  

Waiting to do your business is ok once you get the required quality but the longer it drags on of course supporters are right to worry we will end up with another Hirst and Mola

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Travis played every game for us last season which got into promotion contention, and played every game this until our downturn in form which he seems to have been made the scapegoat for (substitute for previous CMs - Williamson, Lowe, Evans). If the manager doesn't like him I think that raises concerns about the manager given he made him captain and played him every game until the start of this year. Does it take 20 odd games and 6 months to conclude you don't like a player?

Incidentally how many players in this squad would people say have improved as the season goes on? Dack maybe but I suspect that is more down to fitness rebuilding than anything. I'd say virtually everyone else has deteriorated as the season has gone on.

I don't think he'll be sold this window, but he's clearly not a fit for the style of play JDT is promoting. He made him captain because he was the clear leader of the group when JDT arrived - although Hyam has supplanted him there it looks like.

I'd say most players have improved as the season has gone on - funny that it's such a game of opinions, eh?

• Like 1

Just now, Rogerb said:

Harsh. I would also suggest Millwall have as much chance of a top six finish as we have

It's very harsh. He's a good Championship player - he's just a box-to-box / defensive midfielder, rather than one that's comfortable with the ball at his feet. He's better without the ball than with it.

• Like 1