BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

I don't think he'll be sold this window, but he's clearly not a fit for the style of play JDT is promoting. He made him captain because he was the clear leader of the group when JDT arrived - although Hyam has supplanted him there it looks like.

I'd say most players have improved as the season has gone on - funny that it's such a game of opinions, eh?

Who do you think has improved? I'd argue that Morton, Trav, Kaminski, BBD, Gallagher and Scott Wharton have all deteriorated as the season has gone on.

I think Dack has improved, mainly due to getting himself fit

JRC and Buckley perhaps improved but in both cases we don't really know because neither featured at the start of the season.

Adam Wharton burst onto the scene in spectacular fashion then left out altogether. Brittain you can put down to fitness but either way he's a long way off being where we hoped he would.

Ayala and Hyam pretty consistent but in terms of goals conceded alarmingly high recently.

I think a general malaise has crept in whether that is down to management, running out of ideas, confidence or simply running out of steam after such a good start but I'm reluctant to lay the blame for it at any one players' door.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Waiting to do your business is ok once you get the required quality but the longer it drags on of course supporters are right to worry we will end up with another Hirst and Mola

Lets see who we signed first. I think we will make some good signings whether on loan or permanent 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cantwell was an option for us to replace BBD who might be moving to Villarreal either this window or summer on a pre contract. 

But my point was players who had signed for other championship clubs that I feel we haven't missed out now anyone who would vastly improve us.  

Archer, Bowler, Ebiowei, Delap, Lowe all seem like realistic players in our budget who have gone elsewhere and would start for us (and likely improve us). 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But my point was players who had signed for other championship clubs that I feel we haven't missed out now anyone who would vastly improve us.  

Josh Bowler
Reda Khadra
Malcolm Ebiowei
Aaron Connolly
Cameron Archer
Jamal Lowe

6 decent players there - people were in hysterics 5 months ago when Bowler was linked.  Now gone back to Blackpool on loan. 

Khadra whilst not everyone's cup of tea would add some pace, flair and unpredictability that our lot haven't an ounce of. 

Rest of them are all decent attacking options in the Championship.  Can only assume we would be able to compete for at least 3 of them, assuming we'd have probably been outbid by Boro for Archer. 

None of those take your fancy?  Another week to go - maybe we re-visit this list then and see if we've done better or worse. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's very harsh. He's a good Championship player - he's just a box-to-box / defensive midfielder, rather than one that's comfortable with the ball at his feet. He's better without the ball than with it.

Perhaps he should take up athletics?

I liked the Travis of a few seasons ago but the lad hasn't developed at all. In fact, he's become slower physically and mentally.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Harsh. I would also suggest Millwall have as much chance of a top six finish as we have

Better*

Well organised team that have been run well over the last few years. Themselves and Luton are the two who will take it to the parachute clubs this year. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I don't think he'll be sold this window, but he's clearly not a fit for the style of play JDT is promoting. He made him captain because he was the clear leader of the group when JDT arrived - although Hyam has supplanted him there it looks like.

I'd say most players have improved as the season has gone on - funny that it's such a game of opinions, eh?

Which ones? I've bolded 6 there (generous with Phillips, A. Wharton and Garrett as they've not REALLY played enough to be included).  Can't make much of a case for the rest... Perhaps another way to analyse would be, who's gone backwards?

Thomas Kaminski
Aynsley Pears
Ashley Phillips
Dominic Hyam - has he improved in a Rovers shirt.... probably not really. 
Daniel Ayala
Scott Wharton    
Hayden Carter    
Harry Pickering
Tayo Edun
Callum Brittain
Joe Rankin-Costello
Lewis Travis
Clinton Mola
Jake Garrett
Tyler Morton
Adam Wharton
John Buckley
Bradley Dack
Sammie Szmodics    
Tyrhys Dolan    
Ryan Hedges    
Dilan Markanday    
Ben Brereton Díaz    
Sam Gallagher
Jack Vale    

Edited by Jimmy612
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I liked the Travis of a few seasons ago but the lad hasn't developed at all. In fact, he's become slower physically and mentally.  

Sadly true, can't think of any player who has regressed so much. He did fine under JDTs system at the start of the season, I am not really sure it's the system thats an issue... seems like confidence.

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very cryptic as ever, every transfer will reach a head this week as the window is about to close! No names or whether they are actually going to sign or not, yet I bet it was followed with a swarm of tweets asking him questions like he is sat on a treasure chest of untold transfers.

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cantwell was an option for us to replace BBD who might be moving to Villarreal either this window or summer on a pre contract. 

Interesting change of the goal posts.

14 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Looks like he's mud running. 

Doesn't cover enough ground quickly enough for me. Has a good engine, but that's about it. Chooses the backward pass more often than not, and not a leader in the sense that he can dictate the play and tempo of the game. Also concedes too many freekicks due to his limitations, though that's also one of his strengths; knowing when he has to foul.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

Josh Bowler
Reda Khadra
Malcolm Ebiowei
Aaron Connolly
Cameron Archer
Jamal Lowe

6 decent players there - people were in hysterics 5 months ago when Bowler was linked.  Now gone back to Blackpool on loan. 

Khadra whilst not everyone's cup of tea would add some pace, flair and unpredictability that our lot haven't an ounce of. 

Rest of them are all decent attacking options in the Championship.  Can only assume we would be able to compete for at least 3 of them, assuming we'd have probably been outbid by Boro for Archer. 

None of those take your fancy?  Another week to go - maybe we re-visit this list then and see if we've done better or worse. 

Bowler could only join Blackpool on loan as he had already appeared for them and in Greece.Couldnt play for another club 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Regarding Porteous. Reading between the lines I suspect we've had a bid accepted but are offering lower wages than others whom are yet to pay either the transfer fee we have offered or reluctant to include the sell on clauses we are willing too (probably this). 

So Hibs want to sell to us and Porteous wants to move elsewhere, resulting in the possibility of him seeing out his contract. 

Could we offer him more, or is the gap in wages too big? Either his mind is truly made up and we move on or he is playing a waiting game and we're his insurance policy, which in my eyes we need to set a deadline for a decision or we move on.

• Like 4

So we've lined up a couple of long shot players or the A list as it was formerly known but they never come off so nowt new there.

The B list usually gets in a decent loan or two but there doesn't seem to be one now so onto C where it's underwhelming just for the sake of it signings or untried youth from somewhere.....

Nope doesn't look like there is one of those either these days.

So 3 targets who might have made a difference but 2 were never happening because they don't want to come and the 3rd fell through because we couldn't loan one out first.  Such sterling work so far by the much hyped new DoF and new look expanded recruitment mob.

Money for old rope if you get on the Ewood payroll these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Sadly true, can't think of any player who has regressed so much. He did fine under JDTs system at the start of the season, I am not really sure it's the system thats an issue... seems like confidence.

He had confidence early doors, banging in a couple of lovely goals. Personally I suspect some minor injuries have slowed him down and/or he has increasingly been asked to play the tippy tappy bollocks and doesn't feel comfortable with it, throwing off his whole game. Either way some time out of the team may actually be just what's needed to return to form, a la Dack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

Regarding Porteous. Reading between the lines I suspect we've had a bid accepted but are offering lower wages than others whom are yet to pay either the transfer fee we have offered or reluctant to include the sell on clauses we are willing too (probably this). 

So Hibs want to sell to us and Porteous wants to move elsewhere, resulting in the possibility of him seeing out his contract. 

Could we offer him more, or is the gap in wages too big? Either his mind is truly made up and we move on or he is playing a waiting game and we're his insurance policy, which in my eyes we need to set a deadline for a decision or we move on.

Nothing stopping Porteous signing a pre contract with Watford or Udinese if he has agreed terms with either.

Practically forcing Hibs hand to accept whatever bid his chosen team has offered.Players agent is probably still talking to all interested parties at this stage rather than Porteous had decide to sign for someone

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

Has it actually been reliably confirmed that our bid was accepted? If not, another possibility is just that our bid isn't what they're looking for to sell now.

Since this isn't a signing we really need to make immediately, I'd have gone straight to the player for negotiations, and only gone to Hibs with a bid once a pre-contract was signed. Stronger barganing position.

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

He had confidence early doors, banging in a couple of lovely goals. Personally I suspect some minor injuries have slowed him down and/or he has increasingly been asked to play the tippy tappy bollocks and doesn't feel comfortable with it, throwing off his whole game. Either way some time out of the team may actually be just what's needed to return to form, a la Dack.

Hes never looked 100% fit to me since last year so i agree i reckon some niggles or something has really hampered him. I remember Mowbray used to say that he'd play with a broken foot if he could and at times they had to reel him in on the training ground.

Also very much agree that the style of play now doesn't suit him one bit nor does imo playing alongside the powder puff Morton.

• Like 2