BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rip Pele

Surprised this news hasn't had more reaction, by far the greatest player of all time for me.

I think it's pointless trying to compare one generation with another as there's absolutely nothing to say that stars  of the past such as Pele or say George Best wouldn't still have been the best around in today's game given the advances in diet, equipment technology, pitches, training methods etc available now.

I'm wouldn't argue with anyone who said Messi was the GOAT but I'm sticking with Pele. I think he gets a raw deal through many people not being old enough to have seen him play and the footage of him being so limited. Following the 1970 World Cup I remember aged 6 trailing my Dad round the sports shops in town trying to find a Brazil shirt. A fruitless task - no such thing as replica kits in those days - how times change!

Also enjoyed his cameo appearance in the Mike Bassett film. For anyone who doesn't know a great deal about his career or the sort of man he was I'd heartily recommend his autobiography "Pele - my Life and the Beautiful Game".

RIP.

• Like 2

One of my four legends alongside George Best (would have loved seeing him at a World Cup playing for a big European country), Maradona and Messi.  All four supremely gifted and excited.

Mexico 1970 was Pele's World Cup and who can forget his battle with Bobby Moore or that save he brought out of Gordon Banks in the Group Stage game.

Legend is an overly used adjective in the game of football.  RIP to a really true unique football legend - I doubt we will ever see another.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Mercer said:

One of my four legends alongside George Best (would have loved seeing him at a World Cup playing for a big European country), Maradona and Messi.  All four supremely gifted and excited.

Mexico 1970 was Pele's World Cup and who can forget his battle with Bobby Moore or that save he brought out of Gordon Banks in the Group Stage game.

Legend is an overly used adjective in the game of football.  RIP to a really true unique football legend - I doubt we will ever see another.

Whilst I don't like Maradona (at all) I'd probably have them as four of my five greatest ever footballers as well Merce.

My 5th would be Cruyff. I've never seen anyone with the ability he had to take a game by the scruff of the neck and completely dominate it.

Pele takes the title of the greatest for me though, such a humble person and off the field he completely transcended the sport much like Muhammad Ali.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Whilst I don't like Maradona (at all) I'd probably have them as four of my five greatest ever footballers as well Merce.

My 5th would be Cruyff. I've never seen anyone with the ability he had to take a game by the scruff of the neck and completely dominate it.

Pele takes the title of the greatest for me though, such a humble person and off the field he completely transcended the sport much like Muhammad Ali.

Wouldn't disagree and would be my fifth.

Who can forget the 'Cruyff step/turn' from the 1974 World Cup!?

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

Debates about "greatest players" are subjective and can never be settled. The question should be, who did you enjoy watching most? .... and for that I would have Cruyff and Pele as joint No 1s, Cruyff for his grace and elegance and beautiful movement and Pele for his sheer brilliance. Best and Messi would be next. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I was lucky growing up in the 1960’s. Three of the sports I love, and took part in to a greater or lesser extent, football - cricket - boxing were dominated by the three best I ever saw. Pele, Mohammed Ali and Gary Sobers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was lucky growing up in the 1960’s. Three of the sports I love, and took part in to a greater or lesser extent, football - cricket - boxing were dominated by the three best I ever saw. Pele, Mohammed Ali and Gary Sobers.

I would add from the same sort of era Jack Nicklaus in golf. Quite weird that He, Pele and Ali were born so close to one another.

• Like 1

I was listening to Alan Mullery on the radio this morning. He was telling how Alf Ramsey told him to follow Pele everywhere in the World Cup game in 1970.. So at half time he followed him right into the Brazil dressing room ! When he got back to the England dressing room Ramsey said “ Alan, where have been ? “ . Mullery said “ You told me to follow Pele everywhere Alf ! “ 

That was the best I ever saw England play and the best I ever saw Mullery play. He was magnificent in trying to hold Pele at his best.

• Like 2

Pele was sadly before my time and not much footage exists of him in his pomp but his achievements and legacy are without question. One of the greatest to be sure. There’s a saying in Northern Ireland - Maradona good, Pele great, George Best! I’d have Messi as the best I’ve seen, and would argue for him to be one of the five best ever (in no particular order):

Maradona

Pele

Best

Messi

Cruyff

35 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

Pele was sadly before my time and not much footage exists of him in his pomp but his achievements and legacy are without question. One of the greatest to be sure. There’s a saying in Northern Ireland - Maradona good, Pele great, George Best! I’d have Messi as the best I’ve seen, and would argue for him to be one of the five best ever (in no particular order):

Maradona

Pele

Best

Messi

Cruyff

Bestie could have been anything he wanted to be. If he’d have had Messi’s mentality he could easily have been as good as Messi if not better. He was completely two footed and he was a good header of the ball, unlike Messi and Maradona who were all left foot. He was also a terrific tackler when he was in the mood.

A guy I used to go to games with was a scout for City and he told me a story about Best when he was a kid playing for Utd res at Ewood. Best had been a bit greedy in the first half and some of the senior pros had a go at him at half time in the changing rooms.

” You think you can beat everybody on the pitch “ they all moaned. Best said “ When we kick off in the second half just give me the ball “.

So they give him the ball and he just dribbled right through the Rovers defence and slotted the ball past the keeper.

Eusebio was up there for a few seasons. Nobody hit the ball harder.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

On 30/12/2022 at 04:01, RevidgeBlue said:

Surprised this news hasn't had more reaction, by far the greatest player of all time for me.

I think it's pointless trying to compare one generation with another as there's absolutely nothing to say that stars  of the past such as Pele or say George Best wouldn't still have been the best around in today's game given the advances in diet, equipment technology, pitches, training methods etc available now.

I'm wouldn't argue with anyone who said Messi was the GOAT but I'm sticking with Pele. I think he gets a raw deal through many people not being old enough to have seen him play and the footage of him being so limited. Following the 1970 World Cup I remember aged 6 trailing my Dad round the sports shops in town trying to find a Brazil shirt. A fruitless task - no such thing as replica kits in those days - how times change!

Also enjoyed his cameo appearance in the Mike Bassett film. For anyone who doesn't know a great deal about his career or the sort of man he was I'd heartily recommend his autobiography "Pele - my Life and the Beautiful Game".

RIP.

I have a signed copy of his book. He gave to to my father- in-law Ken Furphy and signed it “to my friend, Pele”. Ken managed him when he played for New York Cosmos in the 1970’s  

• Like 1