BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Appeal to EFL

15 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i feel sorry for o`brien,we have royally messed him about

Well someone has for sure, but we're all speculating as to who and how.

It seems we were 7 seconds late with Brierley, and a form was not properly completed regarding his ethnicity. They appear to be internal errors which should have been avoided, and if they are internal errors then the EFL would arguably be in their rights to reject the transfer (esp if late), however harsh that seems.

The only word going round re O'Brien is regarding what happens if we get relegated not having been made clear. I've no idea if we should have done or not, what the rules say about that or if it's standard practice to do so whether required or not. But don't the rules allow a deal sheet to be submitted by 11pm with more detail permitted before 1am?  Did we miss that as well?

All seems v harsh if true, and perhaps why it is taking so long.

I think it doubtful that GB is personally at fault for the failures, but takes that responsibility publicly as the figurehead of the transfer side of operations. He has a right to expect the club will employ competent admin staff and legal advisors. If we don't, that's more on SW than GB imo.

But all speculative at this stage, which is just adding to the dissatisfaction of all concerned.

• Like 3

What happens if O'brien gets bored of waiting, goes to the MLS and then miraculously our appeal gets upheld. Is he legally our player? Whether her stays at MLS or comes to Rovers there will surely be one hell of a compo claim from the club that have missed out. 

If its going in our favour the EFL might be minded to close it out sooner or later. 

3 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

I think it doubtful that GB is personally at fault for the failures, but takes that responsibility publicly as the figurehead of the transfer side of operations. He has a right to expect the club will employ competent admin staff and legal advisors. If we don't, that's more on SW than GB imo.

This bit is spot on imo

• Like 5

3 hours ago, phili said:

I think behind the scenes he has done a lot. Transfers are just one area he is responsible for.

But he has managed to have most of the training gear and tech upgraded, upgrade medical department and gear, expanded analytics side and scouting and he is improving a lot of things at the academy. For once since our relegation or probably since Sam's sacking we are investing and replacing on things we should be doing. So I see a lot of positives from his appointment.

It's just the January window was very poor. It just looks like the evening of the 30th of January, Venky's gave them a bit more cash and they unfortunately couldn't get things sorted. I think if there is a repeat of this then it's probably time for a change.

I think we really need to change club secretary however as this is not the first time he has come up short. 

Agree with all of this. Transfers are only a portion of what GB oversees.

And the Sam Smodz attitude I've seen a few times is odd; one minute we complain that we're spending no money / we're skint / Venky's are withholding funds.

Then when we spend money on getting a player we want, we've overspent. You can't win with some.

Besides, the players brought in under GB so far have been far superior to the majority of shite we've seen in the last 10 years. Think of the Akpans, Taylors, DJ Campbells.

Smodz alone is twenty times the player that kind of player will ever be, never mind Hyam, Brittain, Thomas.

Edited by Andy
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Andy said:

And the Sam Smodz attitude I've seen a few times is odd; one minute we complain that we're spending no money / we're skint / Venky's are withholding funds.

Then when we spend money on getting a player we want, we've overspent. You can't win with some.

Besides, the players brought in under GB so far have been far superior to the majority of shite we've seen in the last 10 years. Think of the Akpans, Taylors, DJ Campbells.

Smodz alone is twenty times the player that kind of player will ever be, never mind Hyam, Brittain, Thomas.

Its not a case of we should be happy that we spend any money on a player to the point where we cant criticse that player and whether we think its value for money simply because we have spent money and it isnt Hope Akpan. What sort of standards would those be?!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Andy said:

Personally, I wouldn't say it is odd at all.  We know that we have limited resources and are most significant outlay has been on a player that isn't going to be in most people's best 11, so a squad player.  Is that good allocation of resources?  I don't think so, especially when we have needed a good striker all season.

It seems like GB or JDT didn't think Dack would get back to anything like what he has done so they brought Smodz in however Buckley could have played there just as well.  IMO Smodz has not been very good but not terrible but considering the percentage of our budget used on him and the lack of need for him then it's a poor signing.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

Personally, I wouldn't say it is odd at all.  We know that we have limited resources and are most significant outlay has been on a player that isn't going to be in most people's best 11, so a squad player.  Is that good allocation of resources?  I don't think so, especially when we have needed a good striker all season.

It seems like GB or JDT didn't think Dack would get back to anything like what he has done so they brought Smodz in however Buckley could have played there just as well.  IMO Smodz has not been very good but not terrible but considering the percentage of our budget used on him and the lack of need for him then it's a poor signing.

I think Hyam was our most expensive summer transfer. 

As for the acquisition itself - well firstly you need depth in this league, so even if JDT and Broughton could have predicted Dack returning to anything like after two catastrophic knee injuries he needs a quality backup. Ideally you'd like Szmodics getting 20 minutes every time Dack starts (and Dack getting 20 minutes every time Szmodics starts). 

Secondly, Szmodics' season has been massively disrupted by injury - when he's played he's looked very useful, but he's not been able to get a run of games together unfortunately. 

Finally, Buckley's best position is CM. Whether he ever develops into a quality one at this level (he repeatedly threatens to, then dallies on the ball) is another matter - he was played as an AMC out of necessity under Mowbray. He did a fine job there, but he was always makeshift as he's simply never going to score enough goals from that position. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

His mistake?

Ultimately, I take the likenesses that it wasn't necessarily his mistake. He is just showing leadership of his team for coming out and taking responsibility to the public. How it is handled internally may be a different matter and a mistake of his may be trusting someone incompetent or untrustworthy?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, goozburger said:

Do we really expect a Director of Football to be learning from his mistakes as seemingly basic as this? Is he an intern? An apprentice? Or a Director of Football being paid a salary most of us could only dream of?

We seem to live in an era where a hollow taking of responsibility, usually in the form of a speech about "the buck stops with me", allows them to survive their own incompetence or even dishonesty. There is usually little to nothing to ever justify their survival thereafter.

On that basis, did Broughton not say that the communication aspect of the deadline day saga should have been handled better? So, why has there yet again been no update from the club, even to just say "we are still waiting for a decision"? Believe it or not, I'm actually not that bothered about communication because I find it all bullsh*t and I'm only bothered about actions, but if Broughton is making his "communication should be better" bed, then he's certainly not lying in it.

Just get shut of him and appoint somebody competent at the job... Umm, well that's what a normal club would do, at least.

I understand all the points you made. I'd say your well within your rights to say what you have said. I still stand by my viewpoint though. Like the point I made earlier, if nothing is learned from this and we are in the same position at the end of the next window, my viewpoint will have changed.

Your last sentence was a very good point I must admit. We are for sure not a normal club.

6 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Sorry, but what does that mean? 

Arbitration is a procedure in which a dispute is submitted, by agreement of the parties, to one or more arbitrators who make a binding decision on the dispute. In choosing arbitration, the parties opt for a private dispute resolution procedure instead of going to court.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We should get a verdict in time for the start of next season.

It's groundhog day. 

I always know I'm going to get a little less work done on deadline day. I can't stop myself checking on here and Rovers have kept it going for 15 days now. And it's annual review time. Do the EFL not understand the impact they're having 😂

• Like 2

Surprised (pleasantly) that we're taking it to an arbitration panel. We obviously feel we've got a case and at the very least are due some compensation, what for I don't know. Every passing moment is more and more embarrassing for the EFL.

Admire in a way the fact Rovers are not giving up on this and that they feel they are in the right.

But it's getting to the stage where it's probably not going to affect our position in the table, wherever that may be (and personally don't think it will be play offs)

Can imagine winning the case and O'brien then turning round and saying "actually I'm off to the mls)

6 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Can imagine winning the case and O'brien then turning round and saying "actually I'm off to the mls)

Absolutely. Why would he want to come here after what we've done to him.

Actually, in a perverse way, if we weren't going to get promoted anyway, I wouldn't be completely averse to that final embarrassment if it heaped further pressure on the inept Waggott and Broughton.

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Only if the panel find in our favour.

Not necessarily, this is 'big boy' stuff now. You don't go down this route without solid ground to stand on.