BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Watford (a) - 11/02/2023

29 minutes ago, booth said:

That's not entirely true, we do have chances and don't take them. And we are missing a number 9.

But we are a terrible football team to watch, because we have some absolutely terrible footballers.

Ending that game we had at least two passengers doing absolutely nothing at best, and at worst being a liability. You don't win football games with players like that. We wouldn't have conceded only for Brereton and Gallagher.

For what it’s worth I completely agree about the number 9 with yourself and exiled rover and every one else. 
We all know we’re missing a decent striker, it’s horrible it wasn’t addressed in January (Venkys).

But, I don’t agree that it’s the missing piece. Our midfield and wingers don’t do enough, we play pedestrian with no pace. I’m hopeful Thomas changes this a little but the 11 is far off it unfortunately. 

Edited by superniko
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

How can you possibly be positive when we've just dropped two points from a winning position and in general are plummeting down the table like a stone?.

As the other poster said it's difficult to get enthused when we're obviously headed for a 15th to 16th place finish after being third at one point and even more dispiriting that had we stayed in the play off positions it seemingly wasn't part of the Club's plan in any event.

Mainly because we've just taken a very creditable point from Watford away - to add to the very good point away at Bristol City. The Wigan draw is disappointing, but when your £15m+ striker misses a sitter I'm not sure what you're supposed to do - they didn't threaten us at all. 

I was worried about relegation in the summer, so I'm seeing all of this as glass half full. 

• Like 3

Just now, superniko said:

For what it’s worth I completely agree about the number 9 with yourself and exiled rover and every one else. 
We all know we’re missing a decent striker, it’s horrible it wasn’t addressed in January (Venkys).

But, I don’t agree that it’s the missing piece. Our midfield and wingers don’t do enough, we play pedestrian with no pace. I’m hopeful Thomas changes this a little but the 11 is far off it.m unfortunately. 

I'd say a midfielder and a striker would make a big difference.

Sorba has made a difference and that's just one man. He was missed when he went off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Mainly because we've just taken a very creditable point from Watford away - to add to the very good point away at Bristol City. The Wigan draw is disappointing, but when your £15m+ striker misses a sitter I'm not sure what you're supposed to do - they didn't threaten us at all. 

I was worried about relegation in the summer, so I'm seeing all of this as glass half full. 

Given I also had relegation concerns in the summer (though these were eased a bit by the end of the window), I'm also seeing our current and likely end position as positives. But throwing away the position we were in with a very poor Jan window, for two seasons running, really sticks in the throat. Also, I'm very concerned about the summer ahead, as it's sounding like we won't have a pot to piss in but will desperately need a good striker, the most expensive position on the pitch.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

No, I don't think we have a more talented squad that Mowbray assembled - partly because he flooded the team with loans and partly because he was clearly given a much larger budget to play with. 

We have better permanent players now - but there's no real reason you couldn't have had Brittain AND Nyambe, for example, besides the fact that Mowbray soured him on Rovers. 

Yeah that’s fair, my personal opinion is that a team like us with limited budget should lean on the loan market more though.
Feels tragic that Mowbray only managed a 15th place finish with Harvey Elliott, Armstrong (2nd top scorer), Brereton and Rothwell (Dack injured that year I think). 

Edited by superniko
  • Like 3

I’m surprised 1/2 a season wonder Brereton isn’t getting more flack. He pissed off to Chile last season and was either injured or anonymous after christmas and this season I hear he’s still in U.K. but is equally as anonymous. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

I’m surprised 1/2 a season wonder Brereton isn’t getting more flack. He pissed off to Chile last season and was either injured or anonymous after christmas and this season I hear he’s still in U.K. but is equally as anonymous. 

I blame him for todays goal, he only needed to nick the ball of Porteous but he literally let him walk past him because he didn't want to scratch his leg. That one moment of none commitment lost us the full 3 points imo.

Edited by booth
  • Like 1

A decent point but our ability to hold on to leads has long gone and another winless game post World Cup.

Going forward we again didnt create much and the usage of Brereton amidst a tactic of not far off a back 6 is infuriating, surely if you are going to play so defensively you at least have him up top and Dolan further back? He obviously should have been sold and he may be protecting against injury but the usage of him so deep by the manager is really hindering him. Our only threat comes from Dack who is the one who sniffs out chances. Thomas didnt do much again but we did look slightly better without Vale clogging things up.

Defensively under Tomasson aside from semi regular horror shows we look well drilled but have to weather too much. Carter was man of the match and Wharton has improved alongside him, big question mark once Hyam returns as to what we do. Travis much better and back to his self alongside the inept Morton, full backs fine and Peara dealt with most things although made a terrible mistake that should have cost us.

6 minutes ago, superniko said:

But, I don’t agree that it’s the missing piece. Our midfield and wingers don’t do enough, we play pedestrian with no pace. I’m hopeful Thomas changes this a little but the 11 is far off it.m unfortunately. 

If you're being serious about a promotion challenge at a minimum (assuming Thomas is made permanent) you'd need a proper CF, an AML and a LB before you even look to address CM.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

In principle with this horrible 6 month foreign club rule he shouldn’t be playing for us any more. Deserves dropping, just like Buckley, Travis etc earlier in the year. I’d like to see Hedges and Thomas out wide personally. 

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

A decent point but our ability to hold on to leads has long gone and another winless game post World Cup.

Going forward we again didnt create much and the usage of Brereton amidst a tactic of not far off a back 6 is infuriating, surely if you are going to play so defensively you at least have him up top and Dolan further back? He obviously should have been sold and he may be protecting against injury but the usage of him so deep by the manager is really hindering him. Our only threat comes from Dack who is the one who sniffs out chances. Thomas didnt do much again but we did look slightly better without Vale clogging things up.

I don't think Brereton will be effective anywhere on the pitch. From what I've seen in the last two games, he's avoiding a knock at any costs. He's not even being sneaky about it.

Pleased with the point. Listened to the full game on Radio Lancs. From listening to the commentary and reading people comments at the games seems like Carter was very good and Travis was back to his best. Pears, JRC and Dolan all having good games. 

Concerned about the form of BBD and Gallagher and it's a worried tbh. 

On the Watford goal, Gallagher should be heading that ball out for a corner or out wide not back into a centre area. Rovers were deep and we need a body or 2 on the edge of the box. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

I keep seeing this and it's a bit harsh. Yes to post Christmas loss of form (a little earlier this year), but people are acting like he was useless in the first part of the season. He wasn't ripping the league apart like last season's first half, but he still had a good goal return until it dried up. Still our top scorer. We would probably be mid-table or worse right now without his goals in the first third or so of the season.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, superniko said:

Yeah that’s fair, my personal opinion is that a team like us with limited budget should lean on the loan market more though.
Feels tragic that Mowbray only managed a 15th place finish with Harvey Elliott, Armstrong (2nd top scorer), Brereton and Rothwell (Dack injured that year I think). 

I only like loans if you're pushing for promotion. Mowbray used them to prop up his squad because his recruitment was terrible. 

I much prefer the 'project' we've got in place now - develop your own Academy players and pick up promising young players from elsewhere. Porteous, for example, would have been a cracking signing for £500k (or whatever it was) - that £500k would have been spent on a loan fee under Mowbray.

Edited by Exiled_Rover

3 minutes ago, booth said:

I don't think Brereton will be effective anywhere on the pitch. From what I've seen in the last two games, he's avoiding a knock at any costs. He's not even being sneaky about it.

I would give him an ultimation. Sign for us or be dropped from the club.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

I keep seeing this and it's a bit harsh. Yes to post Christmas loss of form (a little earlier this year), but people are acting like he was useless in the first part of the season. He wasn't ripping the league apart like last season's first half, but he still had a good goal return until it dried up. Still our top scorer. We would probably be mid-table or worse right now without his goals in the first third or so of the season.

We'd be buggered without his goals in the first half of the season but he's 100% Brereton again 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, booth said:

It is at least worth trying to get him further forward in positions where he can get into goalscoring positions rather than just assuming that it is beyond Tomasson's control.

1 minute ago, WacoRover said:

All things considered, a point at Vicarage Road is not a bad result. But we need 3’s if we hope to stay close to playoff playoffs. 

Vale, Gallagher and Brereton-Diaz haven't scored since the World Cup break.

Dolan today put in a massive shift - he really puts Vale's work ethic to shame - but he's a 5'6" attacking midfielder (of some guise) being asked to compete against two 6'+ CBs. He can harry all game long, but he's not going to score you many playing there. 

When the window slammed shut without a striker being brought in our promotion challenge was over. We simply don't score enough goals and won't do with this current set of players.

• Like 5