BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Stoke City (a) - 10/3/23

1 hour ago, RoversTilliDie said:

I can remember when nothing stopped a match, clear the snow from the marked out lines and game on. Bring back the good old days.

The thing is though that those pitches of yesteryear were great levellers! The ball was hardly ever on the deck!(i'm exaggerating I know).

Since I think we are playing better football than Stoke I don't want the pitch to cancel that out.

2 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

I can remember when nothing stopped a match, clear the snow from the marked out lines and game on. Bring back the good old days.

I was watching highlights of an Oldham v Rovers game that popped up earlier and it was quite full of snow. I believe the game was scheduled for Ewood but the snow was bad in Blackburn so they switched it to Boundary Park because it wasn't as bad and everyone just piled over there.

Imagine that now !   ( if it's true of course )

• Like 1

5 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

That rings a very faint bell for me from back in the '70s or '80s. Is there anyone with whom it chimes more clearly?

It is definitely true. Simply played the home game there and the away fixture at Ewood.

It reminds me of something else too. We drew Millwall away in the FA cup and due to some hooliganism, they had been banned from staging FA cup games, at home.

With it being their home fixture, they played in blue and we payed in our changed strip.

It is the only time I remember us not wearing the blue and white halves at Ewood.

Does anyone else recall that? 

Edited by lraC

32 minutes ago, lraC said:

It is definitely true. Simply played the home game there and the away fixture at Ewood.

It reminds me of something else too. We drew Millwall away in the FA cup and due to some hooliganism, they had been banned from staging FA cup games, at home.

With it being their home fixture, they played in blue and we payed in our changed strip.

It is the only time I remember us not wearing the blue and white halves at Ewood.

Does anyone else recall that? 

That is a bit before my time but I seem to remember Rovers playing in all red at Ewood in a UEFA Cup game.

54 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We did, Tugay scored a cracker.

Also a game in the 90s, we played in red and black stripes at Ewood for some reason…

I think that was against FC Basel and Manchester City, respectively. I'm sure the City one was because they didn't have their away kit with them or something.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tomphil said:

Think it said 1980 on the clip and Rovers won 3 nil.

10 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

That rings a very faint bell for me from back in the '70s or '80s. Is there anyone with whom it chimes more clearly?

It was switched to Boundary Park because at that time, Oldham had a plastic pitch.

I can dimly remember us losing to QPR on a plastic pitch---late 70's, early 80's?

We were woeful and lost but the ball bounced so much the game wasn't the same.

The synthetic pitches were banned not long after  and QPR had spent the then enormous sum of a million quid on it.

(Just waiting for a poster to tell me I remembered it completely wrong!)

34 minutes ago, 47er said:

I can dimly remember us losing to QPR on a plastic pitch---late 70's, early 80's?

We were woeful and lost but the ball bounced so much the game wasn't the same.

The synthetic pitches were banned not long after  and QPR had spent the then enormous sum of a million quid on it.

(Just waiting for a poster to tell me I remembered it completely wrong!)

I think that was the time that QPR were finishing towards the top of the Premier League for a couple of seasons, with an absolutely impeccable home record on their plastic pitch.

56 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Stoke keeper Sarkic is out injured for this game

Hope they haven't got a Pears like we do!

Also really hoping this game goes ahead. We have so much momentum at the moment and I'm hoping this doesn't disrupt the flow like the bloody Hull debacle last year.

Would be so nice to take 3 points and watch the Saturday games play out at ease (with the top contenders needing to take points to keep up!).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 47er said:

The thing is though that those pitches of yesteryear were great levellers! The ball was hardly ever on the deck!(i'm exaggerating I know).

Since I think we are playing better football than Stoke I don't want the pitch to cancel that out.

Stokes pitch is Desso GrassMaster, top range quality ..... like we were told Rovers would get ...

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 3