BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Stoke City (a) - 10/3/23

26 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Screenshot2023-03-1009_25_34.thumb.png.ab31cc90a51f3be44e00fb3a31baadf3.png

A little more snow than that in the Midlands this morning, but now stopped and thawing rapidly and no more forecast for today - going to be cold but can't see this game being under threat.

Expecting it to be a tough one, but hoping for 1-2  ( would accept a draw).

COYB

• Like 1

Can't imagine that a modern stadium like the "365" won't have undersoil heating.

The problem may well be getting there; isn't there some fairly high land on the main roads between Blackburn and Stoke? (Asking in ignorance; it's been a lo-o-ong time since I: drove (stopped when I took early retirement); or went to a game at the 365.)

Edited by R0verb0y

2 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

Can't imagine that a modern stadium like the "365" won't have undersoil heating.

The problem may well be getting there; isn't there some fairly high land on the main roads between Blackburn and Stoke? (Asking in ignorance; it's been a lo-o-ong time since I: drove (stopped when I took early retirement) / went to a game at the 365.)

365 has undersoil heating. The pitch facilities are PL standard.

Any problems that may arise will be external to the bet365 stadium.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

23 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

The problem may well be getting there; isn't there some fairly high land on the main roads between Blackburn and Stoke? (Asking in ignorance; it's been a lo-o-ong time since I: drove (stopped when I took early retirement); or went to a game at the 365.)

Across to the M6 and straight down you'll struggle to find much high land it's one of the most straight forward fixtures to ever get to in this league.

Traffic permitting of course which is an issue anywhere.

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

No snow over here in Texas!! I’ll tell ya that!! 🤠

Aye, they were saying that in California a couple of weeks back too 🙂

Anyway, remember the Alamo! 

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/webcams/keele_united-kingdom_7292467

They don't seem to do webcams in Stoke.

Snow free in Crewe nearby but well covered on the highground of the Staffordshire Moorlands.

With the current weather forecast I would guess we are OK if the stadium approaches are being cleared and salted. Denise Coates can probably afford the Stoke City electricity bill..

Potters 0 - 2 Rovers

A Pickering wand of a left foot finish for 2 in 2, and a thumping Hyam header both in the first half mean we come away with all 3 points, with a smash and grab victory after having <40% possession and only 3 shots on target.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Across to the M6 and straight down you'll struggle to find much high land it's one of the most straight forward fixtures to ever get to in this league.

Traffic permitting of course which is an issue anywhere.

Having lived in the area it is surprising how much snow Stoke gets. It sits on a plateau and often has snow when the lower surrounding areas don't.

Good day Blackburn Roverers, long time no post. 

Thought I’d have a scan of your board ahead of the game and, without wishing to dive in ruffling feathers off the bat, I was rather taken aback at the positivity, given your team’s stats this season.. seeing people talking about the playoffs and “Stoke are 16th for a reason” etc… is there not a bit of an xG-shaped elephant in the room here? You’re doing well but over-performing on your chance creation to an extent that I think could be described as a freak occurrence - is it a concern…? maybe I’m missing something.

Aaanyway that said, as to the game we’re awful at home and generally seem to win one then lose one, so you’ve every right to expect a win. One thing I’d say is that if you come to attack we might stand a chance. The teams that routinely beat us at home tend to set up with a “low block”, as our manager likes to say, and nick the odd goal on the break. 

Maybe it’ll be a good game if you come looking for the win. We’ve actually started to create chances and score some goals in 2023, which is a novel development. No need to worry about Gayle mind, his technique has completely deserted him in his old age.

Our sub goalie is also a worry. Big blow to lose Sarkic so soon, he’d improved us a lot.

Safe travels to those going, mind how you go if it’s icy and enjoy the evening.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, J*B said:

With the right backing, JDT’s taking us up. I guarantee it. It might not be this season but it happens. 

Hope you are right, was a big critic of his at times but I have to admit he has done a good job overall regardless of how the season pans out. 

6 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

Thought I’d have a scan of your board ahead of the game and, without wishing to dive in ruffling feathers off the bat, I was rather taken aback at the positivity, given your team’s stats this season.. seeing people talking about the playoffs and “Stoke are 16th for a reason” etc… is there not a bit of an xG-shaped elephant in the room here? You’re doing well but over-performing on your chance creation to an extent that I think could be described as a freak occurrence - is it a concern…? maybe I’m missing something.

Aaanyway that said, as to the game we’re awful at home and generally seem to win one then lose one, so you’ve every right to expect a win. One thing I’d say is that if you come to attack we might stand a chance. The teams that routinely beat us at home tend to set up with a “low block”, as our manager likes to say, and nick the odd goal on the break. 

Maybe it’ll be a good game if you come looking for the win. We’ve actually started to create chances and score some goals in 2023, which is a novel development. No need to worry about Gayle mind, his technique has completely deserted him in his old age.

Our sub goalie is also a worry. Big blow to lose Sarkic so soon, he’d improved us a lot.

We're not over-performing to chance creation, (our G and xG FOR are pretty similar), we're over-performing to xGA i.e. not conceding as many as some stats would suggest.

However, we're a different team over the last 2 months to that prior, we're playing much better football, have a more balanced and settled 11 and certain players are really stepping up (some of which wouldn't make the squad 6 months ago).

At the end of the day, xG only gets you so far. It's no surprise we have so many 1-0 wins this season. We take the lead, then we're a solid unit and in those games it's often the team chasing who 'wins on xG', doesn't matter to us as we are absorbing it with a lead and have players capable of a quick counter attack (see the goal vs Sheff Utd last week)

Whilst, we rightly go into this as underdogs (can we do it on a snowy night in Stoke?), nobody on here would be surprised with 3 points, which should pretty much cement us for the playoffs with 10 games to go and 61 points.

Edited by superniko
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

I hope your team have the same impression of us.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, superniko said:

We're not over-performing to chance creation, (our G and xG FOR are pretty similar), we're over-performing to xGA i.e. not conceding as many as some stats would suggest.

However, we're a different team over the last 2 months to that prior, we're playing much better football, have a more balanced and settled 11 and certain players are really stepping up (some of which wouldn't make the squad 6 months ago).

Whilst, we rightly go into this as underdogs (can we do it on a snowy night in Stoke?), nobody on here would be surprised with 3 points, which should pretty much cement us for the playoffs with 10 games to go and 61 points.

Right, I wasn’t sure about that.. thanks for the clarification.

Neil really improved our rolling xGD stats and we’re just starting to see some reflection of that in results. I feel somewhat optimistic, which makes a real change after the last six years or so.

Two teams in reasonably good form then, hopefully a decent game.

• Like 6