BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Stoke City (a) - 10/3/23

This one has me worried! Stoke are starting to turn a corner as their recent results show. They are a dangerous side with some very good forwards.

image.thumb.png.5127aeffb0fc766fdc783b85f9e6d95d.png

Regardless, the players should go into this fully confident of a result. 

I'll go 1-1. Pickering to score with a Roberto Carlos style free kick from 30 yards. 

• J*B pinned this topic
39 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

This one has me worried! Stoke are starting to turn a corner as their recent results show. They are a dangerous side with some very good forwards.

image.thumb.png.5127aeffb0fc766fdc783b85f9e6d95d.png

Regardless, the players should go into this fully confident of a result. 

I'll go 1-1. Pickering to score with a Roberto Carlos style free kick from 30 yards. 

I'm not sure Stokes form has me worried. They've beaten Huddersfield, Swansea and Sunderland and lost to Blackpool and Millwall in that time. In terms of the wins you couldn't wish for 3 kinder fixtures.

What does worry me is them being Stoke. I've not looked at our history against them, but my immediate memories of playing them is we never seem to perform well. I'm certain it's not going to be a pretty game. Alex Neill isn't a bad manager and I see them sitting deep with us struggling to carve out many opportunities. 

Prediction is 0-0.

If a team is to win it will be 1-0 and that could just as likely be them as it is us. 

Edited by ben_the_beast
  • Like 2

Im never confident playing Stoke for some reason, especially at their place. If we have aspirations of top 2 (I don't think we do, realistically) then 6 points from the next two games are probably needed to keep us in touch going into the quarter final.

For the top 6, four points will put us in a very strong position going into March, so I'd not be overly disappointed with an away point here so long as we back it up with beating Reading.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I'm not sure Stokes form has me worried. They've beaten Huddersfield, Swansea and Sunderland and lost to Blackpool and Millwall in that time. In terms of the wins you couldn't wish for 3 kinder fixtures.

What does worry me is them being Stoke. I've not looked at our history against them, but my immediate memories of playing them is we never seem to perform well. I'm certain it's not going to be a pretty game. Alex Neill isn't a bad manager and I see them sitting deep with us struggling to carve out many opportunities. 

Prediction is 0-0.

If a team is to win it will be 1-0 and that could just as likely be them as it is us. 

Stoke's forward line of Campbell and Gayle worries me. They've also got Ben Pearson in the middle. All good players at this level. 

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Stoke's forward line of Campbell and Gayle worries me. They've also got Ben Pearson in the middle. All good players at this level. 

Looking at it from their perspective, they must be very worried about ours.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Stoke away especially in reasonable form won't be easy but I wouldn't "take a draw" now, even though that may well turn into a decent one should it materialise.

I would. Neil is a canny manager and I'd just like us to keep our momentum ticking over. Four points from the next two would keep us well on-track.

Edited by goozburger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, goozburger said:

I would. Neil is a canny manager and I'd just like us to keep our momentum ticking over. Four points from the next two would keep us well on-track.

If we beat Stoke, it takes the pressure off the Reading game.

• Like 2

I just think that as opposed to being near the bottom, draws at the top aren't as helpful with the likelihood of a couple of rivals getting a 2 point advantage over the weekend.

Wouldn't be a disaster of course, but we are in such form that hopefully we can strike whilst the iron is hot.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We are in the thick of a top 6 push, having won 5 on the bounce.

Stoke away especially in reasonable form won't be easy but I wouldn't "take a draw" now, even though that may well turn into a decent one should it materialise.

Agree with that. It should be pretty extreme circumstances that we ever take a point before kick off in this league. Maybe once or twice a season at a push.

Having said that, we probably need 4/5 wins plus a draw or two to secure a top 6 finish. A tricky looking away fixture as one of the draws is a decent result. 

The minute you start to think you have cracked it in this league something will bite you on the backside.

More concerned about these than playing sheffield utd again.

This game has developed into my "burnley" in recent years as I only live 12 miles away from there and everyone around me supports them.

Stoke 1 Rovers 0

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 3

• Backroom

Stoke have some players who should be excellent at this level, but if they were a good or consistent team they wouldn't be 16th. It's a potential banana peel but certainly no reason to expect we'll drop points here. 

• Like 2