BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich (h) - Good Friday - 7/4/23, 3pm k/o

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

Brereton. The one shot on target we had was Brereton centrally coming across his man, cheating the ball down and getting a shot away.  Something Gally just doesn't do .

He plays there for Chile. Its fucking obvious to me.

I also don't see how the management don't see this either 

• Like 1

Very disappointing performance. Norwich wanted it and we didn't.

Stats look pretty even but if you pass the ball around like we did in a predictable way there will be no end product. Diaz has long gone to Spain and Morton with Travis didn't work again today. Gallagher had his usual game and with his one second half chance where he should have thrown a centre forward's boot a the the ball he ends up on his ass. With Hanley off and their other centre half on a yellow we should have forced the issue but no. The predictable passing around at the back gave Norwich time to think and win the game comfortably. 

I am pretty crushed by that to be honest. Despite what the table says the playoffs now look a very tall order.

Our only really consistent spell of good performances this season was when Thomas first came in. Having a proper winger on his proper foot in there made such a big difference and gave our play a totally new dimension. He is also the only player in our squad apart from Brereton who possess real pace and power. Quite why he was dropped for Hedges I have no idea, and how it took so long for the sub to be made is unacceptable. Hedges is a proper Mowbray player… a steady Eddy Jack of all trades on a good day. He was shite today.

I have maintained for a while that the persistence with Morton could cost us our playoff spot. While he hasn’t stuck one in his own net in the last few games he has been incredibly poor. Enough bullshit about attitude (Morton’s is cowardly and half arsed anyway), Wharton is the far superior player and had he been preferred all season to the loanee we’d be comfortably in the playoffs.

Gallagher dire again today. The reluctant centre forward. He’s lived off his work rate for too long. He’s woefully inadequate.

We were poor all over the park today. Hyam was diabolical to the point I thought he looked injured/ill, I hoped he had a stronger mentality that most of our squad and would help us stop bottling it. Hopefully today was just an off day. Speaking of off days, today was definitely one for JRC, but he’s another who has built a lot of good will. Of the 11 who started Pickering is really the only one who can be proud of his performance.

JDT needs to start utilising his subs better, and more importantly sooner. It’s already been said on here he’s reactive and not proactive. There’s no reason in these days of 5 subs we shouldn’t have had Hedges and Morton off for Thomas and Wharton with half an hour.

• Like 5

Absolutely gutted. Lacklustre, pedestrian and slow as hell. If we’d have put up a fight, it wouldn’t be so bad. Gallagher was poor, Adam Wharton at least looked like he was trying to make things happen and pass it forward, the players looked frustrated and annoyed with each other - the majority standing with their arms out half the time, and the defence looked off the pace. Gutted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, booth said:

If we begin next season with Sam Gallagher in the squad I'm done.

So this is the thing - IF JDT is here next season (and it's a big if, because I reckon he wants to leave - getting bloody boo'd by the Blackburn End at both half and full time, for example) I reckon we'll have a massive clear out of players. 

21 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Well that's the playoffs gone I'm afraid. 

As I said when the January transfer window closed, our inability to sign a striker would be the death of us. Once again a good Championship striker scores a couple today at least - I can't fault Gallagher's effort, but his instincts, first touch and finishing are diabolical at this level.

As for their goals, they're just the symptom of playing two slow FBs - done for pace on the counter and clinically finished. Hopefully Brittain retains his place at RB now and they try JRC elsewhere. Sadly there's no replacement for Pickering on the bench.

The 2nd goal JRC was up in an attacking position so I’d ignore that one, but I fully agree with the point, it really worries me. 
Both are so slow and regularly skinned or turned. Pacey wingers should be rubbing their hands together against us. 
JRC has been very good going forward but I’m just not convinced he is a right back, I’d like to see him further forward with Brittain getting a run of games again (he’s looked shakey off the bench on occasion but just needs to get back up to speed)

• Like 1

Very frustrating performance. Norwich didnt really do anything tactically different, nor did they actually play that well, in fact they were very average. But they won very very easily won.

That Sorba and Wharton needed to come on was obvious from around the 30th minute. Why we waited till the 75th I really really dont understand. We were instantly better....

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
54 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Eerily quiet Ewood today for the size of crowd.An awful realization that we just aren't good enough come to pass?....

There was absolutely nothing to cheer for tbf.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Very frustrating performance. Norwich didnt really do anything tactically different, nor did they actually play that well, in fact they were very average. But they won very very easily won.

That Sorba and Wharton needed to come on was obvious from around the 30th minute. Why we waited till the 75th I really really dont understand. We were instantly better....

I really like JDT but he so rarely changes matches for the better. We could be 5-0 down at half time and he’d still send the same 11 out. Yes we’re hardly blessed with proven attacking talent on the bench,  but the inertia from the touch lines when we’re struggling to get back into matches is frightening.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I am pretty crushed by that to be honest. Despite what the table says the playoffs now look a very tall order.

Our only really consistent spell of good performances this season was when Thomas first came in. Having a proper winger on his proper foot in there made such a big difference and gave our play a totally new dimension. He is also the only player in our squad apart from Brereton who possess real pace and power. Quite why he was dropped for Hedges I have no idea, and how it took so long for the sub to be made is unacceptable. Hedges is a proper Mowbray player… a steady Eddy Jack of all trades on a good day. He was shite today.

I have maintained for a while that the persistence with Morton could cost us our playoff spot. While he hasn’t stuck one in his own net in the last few games he has been incredibly poor. Enough bullshit about attitude (Morton’s is cowardly and half arsed anyway), Wharton is the far superior player and had he been preferred all season to the loanee we’d be comfortably in the playoffs.

Gallagher dire again today. The reluctant centre forward. He’s lived off his work rate for too long. He’s woefully inadequate.

We were poor all over the park today. Hyam was diabolical to the point I thought he looked injured/ill, I hoped he had a stronger mentality that most of our squad and would help us stop bottling it. Hopefully today was just an off day. Speaking of off days, today was definitely one for JRC, but he’s another who has built a lot of good will. Of the 11 who started Pickering is really the only one who can be proud of his performance.

JDT needs to start utilising his subs better, and more importantly sooner. It’s already been said on here he’s reactive and not proactive. There’s no reason in these days of 5 subs we shouldn’t have had Hedges and Morton off for Thomas and Wharton with half an hour.

Hedges is such a 'nearly man' - it's always just on his wrong foot, or just out of reach (both the pass and the ball). He'd be a wonderful sub, but he's not a starter on a good team. 

I thought Szmodics was wonderful again today - not sure how that's being overlooked. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think we might have been a bit unlucky with Hirst. He lost all confidence here after a poor start but is probably a fair bit better than we thought.

Or that's just his level. A bit like Pukki's level is the Championship. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The detractors are going to hate to hear this, but the downturn in form coincided with Morton coming back into the team to replace the injured Buckley.

For all his faults, Buckley is able to play on the half turn - I don't think I've ever seen Morton turn his marker. A. Wharton came on for the last 20 minutes and caused them all sorts of problems 'cos he's willing to pass, move and turn on the ball. 

JDT and Reijnierse have already determined that Travis can't play on the half turn - that's why whenever we're playing it out from the back now they have Travis either alongside Szmodics (running into space), or switch him with JRC. Sadly you can't hide both of your non-ball playing CMs. 

Just saying it wasn’t Morton’s fault today, Everyone was garbage.

100% agree we looked miles better with Buckley, was at Stoke when he went off injured and rightly so I was worried about his injury meaning Morton came back in. 

Again agree about Wharton, was so much better when he came on, he gets stuck in in fairness and passes it well. Frustrates me how little he’s played since THAT Blackpool game away. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Very disappointing performance. Norwich wanted it and we didn't.

Stats look pretty even but if you pass the ball around like we did in a predictable way there will be no end product. Diaz has long gone to Spain and Morton with Travis didn't work again today. Gallagher had his usual game and with his one second half chance where he should have thrown a centre forward's boot a the the ball he ends up on his ass. With Hanley off and their other centre half on a yellow we should have forced the issue but no. The predictable passing around at the back gave Norwich time to think and win the game comfortably. 

We still didn’t force the issue or exert any sustained pressure, even when both there starting CH’s were off injured.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Hedges is such a 'nearly man' - it's always just on his wrong foot, or just out of reach (both the pass and the ball). He'd be a wonderful sub, but he's not a starter on a good team. 

I thought Szmodics was wonderful again today - not sure how that's being overlooked. 

Yep. Very poor in and around the box too. I think he’d have made a really solid left winger 10 years ago. In our current squad he’s just a body really.

Yeah, to be fair I was harsh on Szmodics in my assessment. I wouldn’t go as far as wonderful, but he worked hard even if one or two things didn’t come off for him. Nowhere near as effective and involved as he has been over the last couple of months, but not bad.

15 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

So this is the thing - IF JDT is here next season (and it's a big if, because I reckon he wants to leave - getting bloody boo'd by the Blackburn End at both half and full time, for example) I reckon we'll have a massive clear out of players. 

The performance was awful, cowardly almost and they gave the crowd nothing to cheer about, imo the crowd had every right to point this out.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He perhaps wasn’t as bad  as most of his teammates but hardly wonderful, hardly in game first half and never troubled the keeper despite a few chances to do so. His job is to create chances, we created very little of note.

Just got back now. 

Felt eerily like a pre-season game today for some reason.

The spine of the team today was so so poor. Hyam had his worse game in a Rovers shirt - dragged all over the pitch and diving in. Morton and Travis doesn't work. If Morton goes back to Liverpool and gets in there squad then they have big problems. Gallagher will always be Gallagher and we need to offload in the summer. 

The football really was shocking and predictable at times - continually right back, to centre back, to left back, back to centre back a long ball to Gallagher. Awful. 

The game was crying out for fresh substitutes at half time/early second half! Frustrated with JDT. 

If anyone is wanting to watch highlights of that then i'd steer well clear. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

All comes back to not getting paperwork in on time in January, had we had o brien to cover buckley 

Mate, it's bigger than that...Bucko can't lace O'Briens boots....we missed out on a bona fide promotion standard midfielder.

Greggy Out

JDT Out

The feckin lot of them out.

• Like 2