BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s his bravery for me. Always willing to have the ball in difficult areas/no space, always looking for a positive pass, even if it’s much riskier than the standard five yard pass to the defence that aids your completion stats.

A Rolls-Royce of a player at 18.

Yep, bravery in football comes in different forms. It’s not all about diving into tackles and throwing yourself into heading contests.  Being brave enough to show for the ball and accept a pass in tricky situations is top notch. Berkovic hadn’t got a tackle in him but he’d always put himself in the firing line to receive a pass.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

Hard to directly compare because as you say different divisions

Dunn’s direct running, quick feet and goals reminded me of a young Gascoigne. 

But has to be the most exciting product since Duff and Dunn (well, Jones, but defenders don’t quite get fans going the same!).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Memories fade.....is Wharton better than Dunn was at 18?

Dunn had just broken into Rovers 1st team in the Prem at the same age. 

Completely different kind of player.

Dunny was an all action, make things happen midfielder. Wharton is different. He’s just the classiest player I can remember coming through for many, many years. I can’t think who to compare him to.

Matty pinched my description of Adam. He’s a rolls Royce of a player. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, den said:

Completely different kind of player.

Dunny was an all action, make things happen midfielder. Wharton is different. He’s just the classiest player I can remember coming through for many, many years. I can’t think who to compare him to.

Matty pinched my description of Adam. He’s a rolls Royce of a player. 

I was talking about relative ability rather than style of play. Dunn played for England. AW certainly looks to have similar potential. 

As for a comparison, AW reminds me a bit of Gordon Cowans, the Cowans at Villa in his pomp. He has that same languid classy style, but I think Wharton is better at running with ball.

• Like 2

What a performance last night, ran the show and hardly put a foot wrong. Burnley just resorted to kicking him in the end and even that failed to stop him.

He reminds me a lot of Tugay in that nonchalant shoulder dropping sort of approach to the game. Massive talent if we can keep him and nurture it next season.

• Like 3

He's possibly one of the most naturally gifted players on the ball I've ever seen, the way he takes the ball with that outstretched leg, already shielding from his opponent and dropping his shoulder, it's like "watching the fucking ballet or summat" as my mate said 😂

However I'm getting a bit fed up of these comments from "fans" saying JDT has frozen him out, and "if we had played Wharton all season we'd be up" - that is utter post-event hindsight bullshit. He played really well at Blackpool, then had a tough few games after that, it was too soon to play him week-in week-out and it would have done him no good at all. He's incredible, but he's only 18, he tires easily (for now), and gets targeted. Those same armchair fans I imagine would be criticising JDT for over playing him if it was the other way round.

The reason we're seeing the Adam Wharton we see now is down to the lad himself and JDT's man management. It's all about next season, and always was. Work on his upper body strength a bit, phase him in and slowly build a team around him, get him some support. 

...oh and to all the Carrots saying "that lad in midfield who's he? we should put a bid in for him" fuck off and do your research 😂

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

He's possibly one of the most naturally gifted players on the ball I've ever seen, the way he takes the ball with that outstretched leg, already shielding from his opponent and dropping his shoulder, it's like "watching the fucking ballet or summat" as my mate said 😂

However I'm getting a bit fed up of these comments from "fans" saying JDT has frozen him out, and "if we had played Wharton all season we'd be up" - that is utter post-event hindsight bullshit. He played really well at Blackpool, then had a tough few games after that, it was too soon to play him week-in week-out and it would have done him no good at all. He's incredible, but he's only 18, he tires easily (for now), and gets targeted. Those same armchair fans I imagine would be criticising JDT for over playing him if it was the other way round.

The reason we're seeing the Adam Wharton we see now is down to the lad himself and JDT's man management. It's all about next season, and always was. Work on his upper body strength a bit, phase him in and slowly build a team around him, get him some support. 

...oh and to all the Carrots saying "that lad in midfield who's he? we should put a bid in for him" fuck off and do your research 😂

Do you think we’d have seen him start games if Buckley hadn’t got injured? Genuine question.

I don’t. He continued playing 2 in the middle (Travis and Morton) after the Buckley injury and took multiple games to switch to 3. If Buckley had been fit, I think he’d have opted for him in the 3. Wharton wasn’t even making the squad before that.

Regarding the tough few games, I remember a poor 45 against Bristol City (think it was them) - that’s it. The other 4 or so appearances around that time pre-Xmas he was brilliant again like Blackpool (Hull / Birmingham)

Funny old strategy that JDT is now saying “he’s the best player on the pitch” etc. He was earlier in the season too, but back then it was “he needs to do more”

JDT dropped the ball on this one, if your good enough, you’re old enough (he just played 3 games in 6 days). I do appreciate he was injured for a while too though so that was always going to play into it. 

Edited by superniko
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Groundhog said:

Why are those of us who have watched us struggle all season, whilst a player who looks levels above what we have hasn't been picked, 'armchair fans'?

I'm personally getting a bit fed up of these comments from "fans" saying JDT has done right by the player by not featuring him from October to April and it hasn't cost us any points or a play off place. Those same happy-clapper-fans would be lapping up JDT as bold and brave had Wharton starred all season and got us in the play offs.

There is a middle ground here. He needs looking after but in those game when we were awful first half, he would have been a far better option to bring on than what we had, and if even one of those games had resulted in a win we would still have it all in our own hands.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Why are those of us who have watched us struggle all season, whilst a player who looks levels above what we have hasn't been picked, 'armchair fans'?

Because it's an armchair attitude, players who don't play seem to get better on the bench. He is levels above, but he did struggle at times, so do you really, really think he should have been run into the ground this season every game regardless of form? You don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Just be patient. The team and Wharton are a season ahead of where they should be, I hate that phrase but I do understand it. I'm as frustrated as you are, seeing Morton starting every week ahead of him, but blimey, I totally get why he's been managed the way he has. 

7 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

Because it's an armchair attitude, players who don't play seem to get better on the bench. He is levels above, but he did struggle at times, so do you really, really think he should have been run into the ground this season every game regardless of form? You don't know what goes on behind the scenes

He didn't get better by not playing. We thought he was good from his brief appearances, and since he's started he's actually probably been better than we hoped.

And as for the bit in bold, did you miss my last paragraph above? No-one has ever said play him every minute and run him into the ground have they? 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, superniko said:

Do you think we’d have seen him start games if Buckley hadn’t got injured? Genuine question.

I don’t. He continued playing 2 in the middle (Travis and Morton) after the Buckley injury and took multiple games to switch to 3. If Buckley had been fit, I think he’d have opted for him in the 3. Wharton wasn’t even making the squad before that.

Regarding the tough few games, I remember a poor 45 against Bristol City (think it was them) - that’s it. The other 4 or so appearances around that time pre-Xmas he was brilliant again like Blackpool (Hull / Birmingham)

Funny old strategy that JDT is now saying “he’s the best player on the pitch” etc. He was earlier in the season too, but back then it was “he needs to do more”

JDT dropped the ball on this one, if your good enough, you’re old enough (he just played 3 games in 6 days). I do appreciate he was injured for a while too though so that was always going to play into it. 

I remember the Bristol City 45 too, it was always going to happen, but everything happens for a reason and I'll say it again, the reason we're seeing the AW we see now is down to the decisions made this season. We're just assuming we would take the lad now and put him back in all our league games and be second in the table. Against Blackpool he was up against nowt, against Pearson's side he got outmuscled. He would still be playing next to Morton or Travis and he'd still have nothing up front to pass too. 

JDT may have dropped the ball, who knows. But I do trust JDT, someone who's been in many, many high profile dressing rooms all over Europe, to know what needs to happen with certain players over what we think. 

Anyway, we shouldn't be squabbling over Wharton, he's the one ray of light in these dark times and we should all unite around him and be proud he's ours. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Hard to directly compare because as you say different divisions

Dunn’s direct running, quick feet and goals reminded me of a young Gascoigne. 

But has to be the most exciting product since Duff and Dunn (well, Jones, but defenders don’t quite get fans going the same!).

Yeah, the assessment on how 'exciting a prospect' he truly is will be based on how many steps forward he can take.

Junior Hoilett was an incredibly exciting talent, but never went on to fulfill that potential. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

It's absolutely no such fucking thing, but I said a while back that when he did start playing and proved how good he is, this sort of post-event hindsight bullshit would be posted by people who were defending the manager.

We saw way back in October against Blackpool that Adam Wharton could run a game. We've been calling for him to play ever since. Nothing revisionist about it. He was dropped unfairly, kept out unfairly by someone who was worse than him and who was making costly mistakes, and now he's back he's showing how ridiculous it was. He isn't just playing well, he's out playing everyone else. He looks levels above other teams not just ours. He didn't go from not good enough to start to being far superior suddenly because of JDT's magical training sessions.

Playing Morton over Wharton HAS cost us points. It's as clear as these intangible sorts of things can be.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Groundhog said:

He soon after was excellent v Hull, Birmingham and Boro. This idea that Blackpool was a flash in the pan is nonsensical.

• Like 3

I think the case for Wharton has good debate on both sides in terms of we might be a few points better off if he'd been playing more.

He was great in the Blackpool match a real statement performance but he did struggle quite a bit after that and taking him out of it was the right thing at the time. I think the issue though is there has been too much feet dragging in getting back in again i don't think that can be questioned.

Again it revolved around the seeming need to give Morton game time instead, he himself has been better since he was dropped before he got injured.  However we didn't miss him one jot last night and Wharton has clearly always been twice the player but maybe needed more work on the training pitch and U21s to get to the point he is now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

It's absolutely no such fucking thing, but I said a while back that when he did start playing and proved how good he is, this sort of post-event hindsight bullshit would be posted by people who were defending the manager.

We saw way back in October against Blackpool that Adam Wharton could run a game. We've been calling for him to play ever since. Nothing revisionist about it. He was dropped unfairly, kept out unfairly by someone who was worse than him and who was making costly mistakes, and now he's back he's showing how ridiculous it was. He isn't just playing well, he's out playing everyone else. He looks levels above other teams not just ours. He didn't go from not good enough to start to being far superior suddenly because of JDT's magical training sessions.

Playing Morton over Wharton HAS cost us points. It's as clear as these intangible sorts of things can be.

Spot on post.  Looks well that the bog standard Morton needs to get injured before the manager is forced to play someone who's much better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

I think the case for Wharton has good debate on both sides in terms of we might be a few points better off if he'd been playing more.

He was great in the Blackpool match a real statement performance but he did struggle quite a bit after that and taking him out of it was the right thing at the time. I think the issue though is there has been too much feet dragging in getting back in again i don't think that can be questioned.

Again it revolved around the seeming need to give Morton game time instead, he himself has been better since he was dropped before he got injured.  However we didn't miss him one jot last night and Wharton has clearly always been twice the player but maybe needed more work on the training pitch and U21s to get to the point he is now.

Did he struggle quite a bit after Blackpool? He did in the following game against Bristol City as did the whole team. Then his next 3 starts were Boro away when he played well, Birmingham at home when he scored the winner and then another excellent performance at Hull where his assist was brilliant. We then played Coventry and he vanished after that.

• Like 2

Wharton and Phillips are in the same boat I think. These two guys are the future staples of the team. They were suppose to be squad players this year, to be brought in slowly. Phillips played a bit earlier and Wharton has played a bit later. I expect them both to be first names on the team sheet next year and believe that’s the plan. 
Now if a 25m bid came in the summer for Wharton that might be tough too say no too, too many assets have left on a free in the past two years.

• Like 2

I posted about him on an England forum 1 week ago after the Coventry game to tell people how good he is.  A poster replied to me last night after the game who was amazed at how good he actually is

Edited by roverandout
  • Like 1