BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I used to think that about Tugay but we had him in a role were he rarely got into the last third of the pitch.

Tugay didn't need to be in the last third to play the killer/final ball to open up defences.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Tugay didn't need to be in the last third to play the killer/final ball to open up defences.

And Adam doesn't have an invisible friend either.

We are going to have interesting midfield options with Adam, Travis, JRC, Buckley and Garrett and that is before any transfers or the next batch of youngsters

Edited by philipl
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, philipl said:

We are going to have interesting midfield options with Adam, Travis, JRC, Buckley and Garrett and that is before any transfers or the next batch of youngsters

If we get some decent reinforcements, I'd be looking at loaning Garrett out. He doesn't look ready to me yet and a League 1 move could do him the world of good. Put an option of a January recall into the deal incase he progresses quicker than expected. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I used to think that about Tugay but we had him in a role were he rarely got into the last third of the pitch.

18 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

fair point but tugay was never in the best of shape fitness wise and he was 31 when he landed here,souness and hughes understood he did`nt need to do any hard work just sit in space and direct the passes,wharton on the front end of midfield would be dynamite,defences will  quake with fear when his left foot disects their line🙂

I remember Souness talking a few years ago about how one of the problems with Dunny was that he always wanted to be Gazza, whereas Graeme was of the view that the very best midfielders have the most impact by sitting a bit deeper and dictating play. 

I'm not sure that works for everyone, but I think for Wharton I'd be looking more at Andrea Pirlo's career rather than Tugay. Both have the ability to play further up the pitch and offer a real goal threat, but they're still at their most influential when orchestrating play from deep. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I remember Souness talking a few years ago about how one of the problems with Dunny was that he always wanted to be Gazza, whereas Graeme was of the view that the very best midfielders have the most impact by sitting a bit deeper and dictating play. 

I'm not sure that works for everyone, but I think for Wharton I'd be looking more at Andrea Pirlo's career rather than Tugay. Both have the ability to play further up the pitch and offer a real goal threat, but they're still at their most influential when orchestrating play from deep. 

As players Pirlo and Tugay are very similar in terms of style. And its precisely the role Wharton should look to play imo. Most teams play the ball out from the back and he can be the key pivot. 

Essentially when you have a player who is that good on the ball, you want to get them on the ball as often as possible. Do you sacrifice Wharton not touching the ball as much to get him closer to the goal? Not for me.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

As players Pirlo and Tugay are very similar in terms of style. And its precisely the role Wharton should look to play imo. Most teams play the ball out from the back and he can be the key pivot. 

Essentially when you have a player who is that good on the ball, you want to get them on the ball as often as possible. Do you sacrifice Wharton not touching the ball as much to get him closer to the goal? Not for me.

It’s also handy that you have a guy receiving the ball from the back four that you’re confident in his ability not to lose the ball all the time.

• Like 3

On 22/05/2023 at 09:25, philipl said:

Even at 11 days shy of his 19th birthday, I would be building the Rovers team for next season around the strengths and covering the youthful weaknesses of Adam Wharton.

He is good enough to steer us to automatic promotion in 23/24. 

And yes I would play him a little bit deeper because when the Championship learn they have to man mark him, oppositions will be pulled out of shape to do so.

Burnley had Barnes man marking him.

The Championship already know how good he is - they just aren't good enough to get near him, which is why the 100 points accumulating champions resorted to kicking lumps out of him (and rotated who did it to share the yellow cards around). 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Exactly how I see it.

I agree too that Pirlo & Tugay were very similar, especially later on. I just got thinking about Pirlo because he was a number 10 until his early 20s before someone had the brainwave to move him deeper. I can see the temptation to get Wharton closer to the opposition goal, but I think you're right that he is likely to be more influential further back.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Burnley had Barnes man marking him.

The Championship already know how good he is - they just aren't good enough to get near him, which is why the 100 points accumulating champions resorted to kicking lumps out of him (and rotated who did it to share the yellow cards around). 

And they STILL couldn't knock him over! His ability to ride tackles actually impresses me more than his passing ability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Exactly how I see it.

I agree too that Pirlo & Tugay were very similar, especially later on. I just got thinking about Pirlo because he was a number 10 until his early 20s before someone had the brainwave to move him deeper. I can see the temptation to get Wharton closer to the opposition goal, but I think you're right that he is likely to be more influential further back.

I see him more of a Foden type character when he fills out and adds upper body strength....gazza like, beating men and bursting into the box.  No point wasting his talent sitting deep.  We can get someone for a couple of million to do that.  This lad is our route to promotion linking the midfield and forwards.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2023 at 08:13, philipl said:

Ah that myth being peddled again. Tugay played a high risk high reward forward  passing game.

If AW is performing at the top level when he’s 34 you can then start making comparisons. 

Edited by toogs
  • Like 2

• Backroom
20 minutes ago, toogs said:

Ah that myth being peddled again. Tugay played a high risk high reward forward  passing game.

If AW is performing at the top level when he’s 34 you can then start making comparisons. 

I don't think it's a myth. IMO, the 'invisible friend' was deliberate on Tugay's part, as a way of telling his teammates where they SHOULD be. There were many occasions where the exact same pass was repeated to success a couple of minutes afterwards (often precisely because the oppo expected a repeat of the failure).

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Adam Wharton is the second coming of Tugay so Tugay chat should be allowed

It is. But right backs were what was being chatted about.