BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 23/24

I really don't understand these wholesale changes in league matches from managers simply because they have three games in a week. If players are out of form or injured that is different but using fatigue or any other excuse is poor form in my view. Managers should be obligated to supporters to put out their strongest team in every game.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I really don't understand these wholesale changes in league matches from managers simply because they have three games in a week. If players are out of form or injured that is different but using fatigue or any other excuse is poor form in my view. Managers should be obligated to supporters to put out their strongest team in every game.

Managers will argue that the teams they're putting out are the strongest teams for that particular game, on the grounds that fatigue will reduce the output of the affected players.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andy said:

I'm not surprised to see either Southampton or Leeds struggle, it's a very tough transition from Prem to Championship.

Predicted both would struggle to finish top 6, pre season.

Given Southampton squad I expected them to win the league tbh. 

Adams, A Armstrong and Stewart as the 3 strikers. I expect them to fire them to winning this league

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I really don't understand these wholesale changes in league matches from managers simply because they have three games in a week. 

Clubs very rarely have 3 games in a week, pedantic perhaps but the assertion really pisses me off.

Tuesday or Wednesday then Saturday is just two games in one week.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Adams, A Armstrong and Stewart as the 3 strikers. I expect them to fire them to winning this league

Good players but not a good manager.

If they get a new manager they’ll be there or thereabouts IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Stewart is a huge gamble - still not able to play and seems injury prone.

41 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

If they appoint JDT within the next couple of weeks, he'd get them up this season.

• Backroom

Probably the most worrying thing from Southampton's perspective is that their defence and attack have essentially collapsed at the same time. They've conceded ten goals in the last three games, and only scored one.

Edited by DE.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Settled team is need and stop playing Armstrong in the 8 position aswell would help

43 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Stewart is a huge gamble - still not able to play and seems injury prone.

Injury prone? 

43 minutes ago, Mercer said:

If they appoint JDT within the next couple of weeks, he'd get them up this season.

Another one of your prediction again? 

You said in the summer Potter or Rodgers were getting the Saints job. Look how that one turned out here the link to that post and you wanted to bet £50 on it.  https://www.brfcs.com/forums/topic/35590-premier-league-22-23/?do=findComment&comment=2458858

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norwichblue said:

I didn’t think I cared that much about Preston, but seeing them at the top of the league is bothering me.

I'm not too concerned with them being top in September. If they are top in April and/or May, I would be pretty bothered by that I think.

2 hours ago, norwichblue said:

I didn’t think I cared that much about Preston, but seeing them at the top of the league is bothering me.

I watched a lot of the game last night and thought Birmingham were unlucky. They seemed to have more chances and dangerous possession. It was a comedy Scott-Dann-like own goal which got Preston back into it. Preston may well be grinding out points as we did early last season which their performances don't really deserve.

Southampton for me have the weakest squad (plus obviously manager) of the relegated 3. I think the quality is overstated.

Adams and Armstrong (writing Stewart off for the short term) give them a goal threat but the ones theyve lost were key (Ward Prowse, Salisu, Lavia, Livramento, Tella etc) and they were by far the weakest of the 3 last year.

They made a lot of strange signings towards the end of their Premier League stay and beside the front 2 not many of what they have left is stand out. Not sure on their signings either in the main.

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

Heard from who?

If that's the case why haven't the club put a statement out that the game is in danger of being called off with a pitch inspection at 2 pm?

A friend who inquired as in hospitality tonight.  Fortunately, weather now turned for the better - hope to get there myself work commitments pending.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Injury prone?  Think you'll find he's missed about 40% of Sunderland's games since he went there with injury lay offs.  You want a better return than that from a key man.

Another one of your prediction again?   Please read more carefully!  Have I said it will happen?  Nope, I merely said IF they were to quickly appoint JDT, IMO, he would get them up this season.  That is NOT A PREDICTION but an observation/opinion of mine.

You said in the summer Potter or Rodgers were getting the Saints job. Look how that one turned out here the link to that post and you wanted to bet £50 on it.  https://www.brfcs.com/forums/topic/35590-premier-league-22-23/?do=findComment&comment=2458858

From what I have seen so far, the Leeds attack could do serious damage now 40m Rutter is at his level while Leicester are the only set-up who might run away with it.

If Southampton changed their Manager and defence in January, they would have a very strong second half to the season. Hopefully not.

Hull play decent football as we have seen at Ewood while Birmingham have impressed with their play if not their results.

Sticking my neck out but I haven't seen any other Championship outfit play the way JDT is setting up Rovers. We are exceptional at missing easy chances... (even if we have netted 20 in 8 games this season)

48 minutes ago, philipl said:

From what I have seen so far, the Leeds attack could do serious damage now 40m Rutter is at his level while Leicester are the only set-up who might run away with it.

If Southampton changed their Manager and defence in January, they would have a very strong second half to the season. Hopefully not.

Hull play decent football as we have seen at Ewood while Birmingham have impressed with their play if not their results.

Sticking my neck out but I haven't seen any other Championship outfit play the way JDT is setting up Rovers. We are exceptional at missing easy chances... (even if we have netted 20 in 8 games this season)

Is that counting the Harrogate goals? i'm not saying we shouldn't count them but i'd class it as a slight anomaly. Yes we score goals but by god do we miss the majority of clear cut chances.

5 minutes ago, TheKitGuy said:

Is that counting the Harrogate goals? i'm not saying we shouldn't count them but i'd class it as a slight anomaly. Yes we score goals but by god do we miss the majority of clear cut chances.

I think it's a bit more than a slight anomaly. We've scored 20 in 8 games but 12 of those were in two league cup games. So it's 8 in 6 league games, which is somewhat less impressive.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I think it's a bit more than a slight anomaly. We've scored 20 in 8 games but 12 of those were in two league cup games. So it's 8 in 6 league games, which is somewhat less impressive.

Progressive passes – 2nd

Passes into opposition penalty area – 1st

Touches in opposition penalty area – 1st

Non penalty expected goals – 3rd

Non penalty expected goals per shot – 2nd

Expected goals from counter attacks – 1st

It's clear where the problem lies. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

Despite a strong start following the international break, Rovers sank to a dismal 3-1 defeat at the hands of former boss Tony Mowbray's Sunderland at Ewood Park. Despite getting back into the game after initially conceding, Rovers let in a goal on the stroke of half time and allowed Sunderland to score another midway into the second half. This defeat keeps Rovers erratic form going, and more concerning is that we have only kept a single clean sheet in our first seven games. Rovers drop to 12th, with GD now -3. Sunderland meanwhile continue a bright start to the season with a fourth victory in five games taking them up to 4th.

Neil Warnock's final game as Huddersfield boss ended in a 2-2 home draw with struggling Stoke City. Huddersfield would have been aiming for a win here, but a draw means they've taken seven points from their last nine, and Warnock seems to be leaving the club in a decent enough position. Time will tell whether the 'mutual' decision to remove him will prove to be a masterstroke or a massive mistake. A draw ends a run of three staight defeats for Stoke, but isn't the kickstart to the season they needed. Hudds sit in 16th, with Stoke in 19th.

Hull and Leeds played out a 0-0 draw at the MKM Stadium. Hull didn't have a single shot on target, but Joe Rodon's 60th minute sending off for Leeds was enough to keep the score level. Nonetheless Leeds are five games unbeaten with three draws and two wins, and move up to 9th. Hull meanwhile sneak back into 6th spot, nudging Bristol City back out of the playoff spots.

Millwall handily dispatched Rotherham with a 3-0 victory at the Den. Rotherham's largely dismal start to the season continues with just one win and one draw in their first seven games, having lost the rest. They've already shipped sixteen goals and only scored seven, so the signs aren't good. Regardless of that they remain outside the relegation places for now, staying in 21st. Millwall climb to 11th, just ahead of Rovers, with both teams starting the season with similarly inconsistent form. 

Watford and WBA drew 2-2 at Vicarage Road, with all goals coming in the first 23 minutes. The result continues an underwhelming start to the season for both clubs. They fall to 14th and 15th respectively.

Norwich's fantastic early form was halted with a 2-0 home defeat against Leicester. The away side now join norwich as joint-top scorers in the division, and the win pulls them back into 2nd spot, just ahead of Ipswich on goal difference. Despite second defeat in three matches for Norwich, they still sit within the playoffs in 5th spot.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

On 20/09/2023 at 14:31, Mercer said:

Think you'll find he's missed about 40% of Sunderland's games since he went there with injury lay offs.  You want a better return than that from a key man.

In Sunderland promotion season he played in every game and scoring 24 games. Last season he picked up 2 injuries that keep him out injury. 

Funny enough he was fit for the full season when Alex Neil was his manager. 

On 20/09/2023 at 14:31, Mercer said:

Have I said it will happen?  Nope, I merely said IF they were to quickly appoint JDT, IMO, he would get them up this season.  That is NOT A PREDICTION but an observation/opinion of mine.

Fair enough.