BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 23/24

12 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Birmingham have sacked Eustace. Madness but he was favourite for the Rangers job so wonder if it was a result of asking to speak to them or something. Can’t be on form this season as they are doing well.

Rooney being linked.

rooney has american connections and birmingham are owned by an american rabble i think

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Birmingham owners are close to Rooney like Tom Brady. It is Rumoured that Ashley Cole and John O'Shea Will join Rooney at Birmingham as part of his coaching staff. 

I thought John Eustace was doing a very good job there and shouldn't have been sacked there. 

These sort of appointments are always risky. They clearly want their own man in place but sacking the current manager whilst they are in 6th place has the potential to backfire spectacularly.

Rooney came out with a lot of credit after his time at Derby, he obviously was dealt a rough hand but he hasn't exactly got a great record at his current club, albeit I don't follow US footy to know how good/bad that side are.

A SSN news notification just came through saying that they have already made an approach for him. 

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Birmingham owners are close to Rooney like Tom Brady. It is Rumoured that Ashley Cole and John O'Shea Will join Rooney at Birmingham as part of his coaching staff. 

I thought John Eustace was doing a very good job there and shouldn't have been sacked there. 

I thought he was doing ok, look where they are in the league. However I think Rooney will do well there.

• Backroom

Seems from the statement put out that the Americans want more 'entertaining' football for their new 'brand'. Good luck with that. Easy to say they want "no fear" football from a position of 6th having only lost three matches so far this season and with the joint second best defensive record in the league. They might not be feeling so fearless if they end up plunging down the table, entertainingly losing on a regular basis. I suppose we'll see. It's a big gamble. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

It'll be interesting to see how Rooney gets on with a half decent team. Did a good job at Derby and seems to have something about him as a coach beyond just relying on his playing career.

Still absolute madness to get rid of Eustace, unless there's more to it. He's got a far better tune out of them than anyone seems to have done for a long, long time. 

Did Rooney do a good job at Derby? It is such a difficult period to judge, Derby were in such a strange situation that it felt like any points won were considered above expectation. They did have terrible off the field issues even though they had some talented players, and he had Rosenior behind him who is a good Championship manager in his own right.

His win record at both clubs he has managed is in the 20s in terms of %. He will get this job for no other reason than being Wayne Rooney.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Did Rooney do a good job at Derby? It is such a difficult period to judge, Derby were in such a strange situation that it felt like any points won were considered above expectation. They did have terrible off the field issues even though they had some talented players, and he had Rosenior behind him who is a good Championship manager in his own right.

His win record at both clubs he has managed is in the 20s in terms of %. He will get this job for no other reason than being Wayne Rooney.

The way I remember it was he took a crisis club and kept them up when they were staring down the barrel. Down the season after, granted, but only after huge points deductions and administration. The results were as good as you could hope for given the circumstances.

Good point about Rosenior though. He wouldn't be the first manager who is made to look good by having good staff underneath him. The way that Sparky's career has panned out recently, I wonder how much of that success can be put down to Bowen and others. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Seems likely that Rooneys success at Derby may have been down to his assistant Rosenoir who has subsequently turned round Hull City. 

• Like 4

You want to sum up that lot, was talking to our new apprentice the other day, PNE fan. He asked me ‘so who’s your Prem team then?’

Presumably he has the PNE badge tattooed on one arse cheek, Liverpool’s on the other.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

Surprised to see that Millwall have got rid of Gary Rowett, especially at the back end of the international break. 

Don't think he'll ever win awards for his style of play but think it works in the Championship especially at sides like Millwall and Birmingham where resources are limited. 

• Backroom

From what I recall the fans had turned on him, which at most normal clubs is usually the beginning of the end. They've had a fairly inconsistent start to the season but by no means a disaster, especially at this early stage. I suppose time will tell if it works out for them. Wouldn't surprise me if Eustace ends up there. He hasn't got much experience but his short stint at Birmingham, with similarly limited resources, was pretty impressive.

Millwall is a notoriously tough job primarily down to the veracity of their fans when things aren't going well. Rowett has done well overall but the fans were out of patience with him and this was inevitable. The thing I find strange is the timing as we are almost out of the international break. It could also be ominous for us as we are there next Tuesday.

• Like 1

JDT now the 6th longest serving manager in The Championship!

1. Mark Robins, Coventry City (since 6/3/17)

2. Nigel Pearson, Bristol City (since 22/2/21)

=3. Ryan Lowe, Preston North End (since 7/12/21)

Steven Schumacher, Plymouth Argyle (since 7/12/21)

5. Kieran McKenna, Ipswich Town (since 16/12/21)

6. Jon Dahl Tomasson, Blackburn Rovers (since 14/6/22) 

59 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

JDT now the 6th longest serving manager in The Championship!

1. Mark Robins, Coventry City (since 6/3/17)

2. Nigel Pearson, Bristol City (since 22/2/21)

=3. Ryan Lowe, Preston North End (since 7/12/21)

Steven Schumacher, Plymouth Argyle (since 7/12/21)

5. Kieran McKenna, Ipswich Town (since 16/12/21)

6. Jon Dahl Tomasson, Blackburn Rovers (since 14/6/22) 

Absolutely crazy. How can any manager be expected to succeed with that sort of managerial turnover? I know 'projects' aren't trendy, but you can't build anything as you're one bad run away from the chop,, so constantly have to adopt a short-term approach (potentially at the expense of greater long term success).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

Absolutely crazy. How can any manager be expected to succeed with that sort of managerial turnover? I know 'projects' aren't trendy, but you can't build anything as you're one bad run away from the chop,, so constantly have to adopt a short-term approach (potentially at the expense of greater long term success).

The Championship is such a volatile league though that building something long term is difficult anyway. Relegated teams tend to instantly change managers, the player turnover is so high year on year and often a long term manager having to repeatedly rebuild can lead to stagnation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The Championship is such a volatile league though that building something long term is difficult anyway. Relegated teams tend to instantly change managers, the player turnover is so high year on year and often a long term manager having to repeatedly rebuild can lead to stagnation

Do you think there’s any link between the short managerial tenures and the high player turnover?