BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 23-24

7 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

Once upon a time when the football authorities had balls, players caught gambling were given life time bans

Who was ever banned for life for gambling on football games?

Edited by Hasta

6 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Peter Swann

Was banned and jailed for match fixing of games he was involved in, which is different than betting on your team to lose games which you are not playing in.

5 minutes ago, Hasta said:

As above.

As above what? Your splitting hairs really, match fixing and betting on games even though you aren’t involved is still not allowed. Greedy which ever way you look at it. 

Edited by Ianrally

3 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

As above what?

As above, as in as my reply above yours.

They were all banned for match fixing, not for simply gambling on games.

Some of them admitted ensuring that their teams lost the game to ensure the outcome.

There’s no evidence that’s anything like what Toney was doing.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hasta said:

As above, as in as my reply above yours.

They were all banned for match fixing, not for simply gambling on games.

Some of them admitted ensuring that their teams lost the game to ensure the outcome.

There’s no evidence that’s anything like what Toney was doing.

Whatever. You’re entitled to your opinion which I fully respect. Mine is that he is leading the life that many can only dream of but it obviously isn’t enough for him. Playing black Jack or roulette or backing horses is one thing, but betting on football matches when he knows it’s not allowed is another. One reason for the rule is, although he isn’t involved in the matches, who’s to say a mate of his is involved and they split the winnings. It’s because a scenario like that is possible that it isn’t allowed. 

21 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

Whatever. You’re entitled to your opinion which I fully respect. Mine is that he is leading the life that many can only dream of but it obviously isn’t enough for him. Playing black Jack or roulette or backing horses is one thing, but betting on football matches when he knows it’s not allowed is another. One reason for the rule is, although he isn’t involved in the matches, who’s to say a mate of his is involved and they split the winnings. It’s because a scenario like that is possible that it isn’t allowed. 

I’m only pointing out that your statement about “Once upon a time when the football authorities had balls, players caught gambling were given life time bans” is very misleading and inaccurate.

I fully get why footballers gambling isn’t allowed and get the points you make above. He’s broke the rules and served a ban. The ban could potentially have been longer to be fair. But a lifetime ban would have been way OTT.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

I see Henderson has bailed out after making a quick financial killing in Saudi. No doubt having signed a NDA.

He's so full of crap but in the Dutch league, at best Championship level overall, he might cope.

I hope Southgate has chucked his phone number in the bin.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Good luck to the lad. I think in time he’ll make it at that level - great attitude and athlete.

He is actually playing at left back which surprised me. That was the only defensive position he didn't play for us.

On 19/01/2024 at 20:58, Ianrally said:

Bronco Layne, Peter Swan and Tony Kaye

Born down around the old pan handle

Texas is where he grew to fame

There ain't a horse that he can't handle

That's how he got his name.

12 hours ago, bazza said:

Born down around the old pan handle

Texas is where he grew to fame

There ain't a horse that he can't handle

That's how he got his name.

Ha ha of course I should have used his real name of David. I too am old enough to remember the TV series and Ty Hardin

• Like 1

Just saw latest transfers and see that Brighton have sent a young Romanian winger to Vitesse Arnhem, having signed him previously and sent him back on loan to his Romanian club. Meanwhile, Villa have signed a Red Star Belgrade player and sent him back on loan there immediately.

I can't help be struck by the incredible contrast of these Premiership clubs investing in global young players and developing them out on loan. This is a separate development programme which plans for seasons ahead, alongside their academy and their first team.

Meanwhile, Rovers, in the second tier, are operating on the short-term of bringing in young players on loan just to stay in the league, spending money on loan fees and wages, only for the player to disappear in a few months and any added value going to the club they are contracted to. It's increasingly two different worlds.