BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v West Bromwich Albion (H) - 05/08/2023

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

seem to be in a minority in thinking that Markanday was poor, aside from a good finish he was so sloppy, kept losing the ball including for their goal.

I agree with you there. He is just too light-weight.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

.... .... .... ....

Tronstad made a few wayward passes, but improved as the game went on. My initial thought is that he is a better version of Corry Evans.

.... .... .... ....

Isn't that what they call 'damning with faint praise', @SuperBrfc ?! 😉

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

Finally, that fist pump from JDT at the end. Yes,Jon! it's you, the players and us fans who are in this together.

For those of us who weren't able to be - or see - today's game, it's sentiments like this which lift my spirits.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Course we need another senior centre forward/striker, it's a loooong arse season.... 

Don't be putting silly ideas/excuses into Greggs head!! 😅😅

Broughton absolutely isn't the problem here...

• Like 5

Ewood is the only place in the world I enjoy the rain. Always makes for a good game.

Won't repeat a lot of the brilliant points made by people previously, but the introduction of the World cup injury time is going to have an impact on games this year. Games will now be 105 minutes compared to 95.

We lost a good young kid on Friday, he is nowhere near Hayden Carter. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Hullrover said:

1995 - Victory at Ewood day on 40th anniversary of the VE day.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't  genuinely think Andy was so very, very, very elderly!!!

1995 would be the 50th anniversary  by the way 👊

• Like 5

2 hours ago, goozburger said:

Dolan
He slowed played down too may times today, and made a few poor decisions on the ball when we were in an attacking move. He needs to "go for it" a bit more. He works hard, but he looks to be lacking a bit in confidence.

Markanday
An absolute nuisance to them with has pace and trickery. Delighted for him to get a goal. Hopefully it will boost his confidence and he can put last season behind him. Unfortunately, his mistake led to West Brom's consolation goal as he tried to dribble his way out in a dangerous position when he should have passed it. I expect he'll learn from this.

Reverse is true for me. A poor performance from Markanday has been masked by a goal.

I thought Dolan was a nagging sore for them all game

Excellent win today. We match their Very physical and big WBA team with our attacking players being younger, faster, clever and more nimble played how they should. Carter and Hyam were excellent at centre back won headers, tackles and leadership from them. Szmodics again shown why he is fan favourite and JDT favourite cos of his workrate, energy and the way he press the opposition but already set the press for the entire team. Leonard should have a hat trick today, His movement is clever and work rate is there already. Pickering kept Wallace quiet all game. brittain did well when he came on. Tronstad decent enough. Travis did what Travis does well. 

The fans were good today and well done to everyone who turned up today. 

JDT is enjoying working with this team and I will say this lets bring in 4 players that will improve this team and kick us on to the playoffs cos we aren't far of them tbh. Playoffs is a reasonably aim if we can sign these 4 players and keep the majority of this squad together, 

JDT's Blue and White Army 🔵!!!

3 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Why wasn’t wharton starting, Jdt can jog on if he isn’t going to play our best player 

Barely had a pre season and will take time to get up to speed. Time is needed 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 4

Firstly, I really enjoyed that. A lot of opening days have been letdowns, but that was a good, tense game of football.

I thought Markanday did ok, He was right infront of us and he was taking up the right positions and trying to be positive. I thought he was clearly better than Dolan first half, but was more anonymous second half and the decision to leave Dolan on was proven correct. Dolan really needs an end product, but for the last half an hour he was pretty sensible in what he did.

Wharton was a bit of an enigma. An electric first 10 minutes, followed by being pretty frustrating and lax for the rest of the game. He’s better than his overall performance, but his ball for Leonard was a reminder how good the lad is.

Leonard did well. Had he not wasted the two chances we’d be singing his praises higher, but I’ll put it down to nerves for now. Compared to other youth goal scoring machines like Joe Nuttall, he at least does look like he’s a professional footballer at this level. Far better than Vale.

And Szmodics has just got better and better since he arrived.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

The energy with which we move the ball at times, the sharp 1 touch interchanges are a joy to watch. The fact it’s being done by an increasingly homegrown team is testament to the fantastic work the academy has done over the last 10 years. JDT has brought in a style of play and these young lads have adapted to it brilliantly. 

We're absolutely desperate for an out ball though - whether that's size at CF or pace at L/RW. There were times where Carter (especially) had all day on the ball to play a pass to the forward line, but he daren't risk it.

I hate to mention them, but Harwood-Bellis to Tella was a big staple for Burnley last year - it really upsets teams when you can both play it out from the back and ping it over the top.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Tbf Adam has given it away a few times today. He's had a good few moments but also some bad ones. Dolan again what are you doing

I said that about Adam too. But I seem to be on my own re Dolan---thougt he was terrific.

• Like 1

Agree Neal. Leonards movement was brilliant today and like Rhodes always seems to be in the right place. Sometimes it's just a knack that can't be taught. Hope he carries on working hard and performs when he gets the chance. JDT will know how to bed him in that's for sure

• Like 3

It was a good performance all round. I did fear the worse coming into it but in JDT you have a coach that can get the most out of any squad 

Pickering is the weak spot in that back line and he will be targeted. He tried to move in to midfield a lot today, and a couple of times the break came from that left side and we were nearly caught out. It’s not a priority spot but we need better. Overall he had a decent game but he could have cost us a goal
Leonard getting into the right positions is a positive. The first miss was a sitter. The second was unfortunate - weaker foot and snatching at it. Confident he can carry on the good form for the season to be honest. He didn’t look out of place and worried some experienced defenders 

Tronstad had a shaky game and we looked a lot better when Wharton came on. Fuck me we need to keep hold of him. A serious player. How Phillips has gone and we have held on to him is anyone’s guess!! At times he looked careless but that calm nature of his is also his biggest strength. With experience he will cut those bad passes out 

Great start to the season. A lot of nerves have been settled today 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rover8T4 said:

Agree Neal. Leonards movement was brilliant today and like Rhodes always seems to be in the right place. Sometimes it's just a knack that can't be taught. Hope he carries on working hard and performs when he gets the chance. JDT will know how to bed him in that's for sure

As I watched him play he reminded me of a more mobile 'Rhodes' if I'm honest 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

First half was poor I thought but my god that second half was very good to watch.

That back line was as good as I’ve seen play for a long time. All deserved man of the match and shout out to Brittain for his cameo.

Markanday did well but defiantly struggled in some parts but chuffed for scoring. Dolan came to light second half and linked well with SS.

My biggest shout is to Leonard. That first big chance he had second half would have been something if he scored. His hold up, and movement is up there with some of the best - can’t wait to see him develop!

My weekend starts tonight! Happy Saturday folks, buzzing

Glad you cleared that up for us, @BankEnd Rover. We'd never have guessed!!😉

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It was a good performance all round. I did fear the worse coming into it but in JDT you have a coach that can get the most out of any squad 

Pickering is the weak spot in that back line and he will be targeted. He tried to move in to midfield a lot today, and a couple of times the break came from that left side and we were nearly caught out. It’s not a priority spot but we need better. Overall he had a decent game but he could have cost us a goal
Leonard getting into the right positions is a positive. The first miss was a sitter. The second was unfortunate - weaker foot and snatching at it. Confident he can carry on the good form for the season to be honest. He didn’t look out of place and worried some experienced defenders 

Tronstad had a shaky game and we looked a lot better when Wharton came on. Fuck me we need to keep hold of him. A serious player. How Phillips has gone and we have held on to him is anyone’s guess!! At times he looked careless but that calm nature of his is also his biggest strength. With experience he will cut those bad passes out 

Great start to the season. A lot of nerves have been settled today 

I thought Pickering had a great game against as dangerous a winger in the league as you'll see. You could forensically dismantle anyone's performance, especially if you're looking for it. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

szmodics reminds me of paul dickov,just never stops pestering the opposition,100% for 90  minutes,you can`t ask more than that,thoroughly deserves his night out tonight

He comes across as being one of the daddies in the team, excellent today.