BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Watford (a) - 27/8/23

10 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd like to see Leonard loaned out to a L1 team. There's a very good player in there, but I'd rather he learned on the job elsewhere and for us to bring in a #9.

Not sure myself. A couple of decent layoffs and nice movement but just doesnt have anything in his locker to worry a defender one on one.

Im often wrong about players, hope I am here, but struggling to see how he becomes a goal threat. Maybe a fox in the box but dont think anyones been able to carry one of those since about 2005. To play CF you need to be able to lead the line and Leonard looks absolutely miles off that 

• Like 2

Great result, mediocre performance.

Started brightly and then became far too passive. The defence deserves credit as does Pears. Great goal by Hedges. That's just confirmed for je that I'd much rather keep him than Dolan.

7 points from 4 games is a decent start but we do look threadbare and definitely need 2 or 3 more in.

Great win and much needed.

Didn't tell us anything we didn't already know we have a good bunch of players many are learning the ropes. Senior pros - Pears included - really stepped up today and Hedges finally got the quaility one he's been threatening since arriving.

Dolan should NOT start i'm sick of saying it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Not sure myself. A couple of decent layoffs and nice movement but just doesnt have anything in his locker to worry a defender one on one.

Im often wrong about players, hope I am here, but struggling to see how he becomes a goal threat. Maybe a fox in the box but dont think anyones been able to carry one of those since about 2005. To play CF you need to be able to lead the line and Leonard looks absolutely miles off that 

Agreed. There was a spell, just before he got subbed, where we won the ball back, ball came to him he had abit of time and just ran into their defender…Needs a loan in league 1.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Neither did Rhodes or a whole host of goal scorers I could mention.

His movement is very good - I haven't seen him take enough shots to say what his finishing is like, but if you're a yard ahead in your head you can be a nightmare for defenders. He's athletic enough to play in this league, without being incredibly big / fast. 

We needed someone to get onto the end of balls last season - as much as I'd like a Drogba clone, in this formation it's not required. 

Really professional performance today.  Defensively excellent and looked a threat on transition albeit for some poor final balls we should perhaps have scored in the first half. 

Thought Hyam and Brittain were really good.  Leonard and Dolan are not the answer if we want to be in and around the Top 6. 

It goes without saying but we’re crying out for a No 9 and a wide player.  The club need to support the manager and give him the tools required to make the squad competitive. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Agreed. There was a spell, just before we got subbed, where we won the ball back, ball came to him he had abit of time and just ran into their defender…Needs a loan in league 1.

He probably does, but we surely just don't have the numbers. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, booth said:

Imagine JDT being backed, even just slightly.

We paid a transfer fee for 5 of that starting 11 today (6 of the 15 that played today) - less than £5m in total. I wouldn't even like to start totting up what that Watford squad cost to assemble - their new striker was £2m alone. 

JDT is doing an incredible job - and so are our Academy coaches, to be fair. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Neither did Rhodes or a whole host of goal scorers I could mention.

His movement is very good - I haven't seen him take enough shots to say what his finishing is like, but if you're a yard ahead in your head you can be a nightmare for defenders. He's athletic enough to play in this league, without being incredibly big / fast. 

We needed someone to get onto the end of balls last season - as much as I'd like a Drogba clone, in this formation it's not required. 

For me Rhodes was an exception due to his absolutely sensational finishing ability and movement. Even with that plenty (including me) thought his poor all round game was a major issue.

After Rhodes I think pretty much every decent striker we have had or I have seen at other clubs is either quick or  strong or good enough in the air to worry defenders. If you cant physically compete its really really hard to succeed at #9.

It may ultimately be that leonard is more of a #10 than a #9. But the kssue there is we have quite a few #10s already in the squad.

I do however absolutely agree we need somone who can make those central runs, just that person also needs to be able to put a cb on his arse either through pace or strength.

• Like 1