BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Watford (a) - 27/8/23

I love a smash and grab.

So far this season no rovers game has been normal. Beat wba when on another day they could have had 3 penalties. Walsall was a ding dong of behind, equalise, behind, equalise, ahead…. At Rotherham missed a pen, we gifted them a 2-0 lead then 2-2 by virtue of an silly red and at that point we should have really gone on to win but didn’t. Hull down to 10, we took the lead having been the better side and with 15 mins left really shouldn’t have lost and indeed had a chance to go 2-1 up ourselves but lost. Today we were largely battered away by a team who will be eying up the play offs  but snuck a 1-0.

Edited by matt83
  • Like 2

I enjoyed the game! Things are developing, it’s not so scary seeing the back 4 tip tapping it about and building out from the back is starting to look effective. I can’t believe I’m saying this but it but we’re regularly looking good, moving forward from deep. JDT has to be given his due; he could be the man? The style JDT is encouraging/fostering might just work…..amazing…..even though we haven’t got the firepower to dominate games as yet. We need a quality finisher still. Wharton junior is not the finished article but he oozes class and we just need to be patient.

Pears looks good…..a bonus. The defence is improving and I thought Wharton senior looked good when he came on….very encouraging! Hyam had a great game today…..he would make a good captain..

Dolan is a weak link although he did some effective chasing back in the first half. Hopefully the new guy will be a good replacement. Gallagher, with his many limitations, can still make an effective contribution in games like these. His bustling style has its place…..as long as we don’t need him to score!

Roll on the next game!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neophox said:

Why draw? We should win it.

I don't know if you are thick or what. I will try to explain my thought process. After our home loss against Hull, to get back on track, we would need four points from the next two away games. Today we got three, therefore we need one at Plymouth. Do you understand my thought process ?

56 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I listened on the radio and when we went 1 up I was concerned, but not as worried as I was last season in the same scenario.

Confidence in JDT and the boys 👍👍👍

I was willing the time to fly by for the last 10 minutes.

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

Thanks. He's pretty sick.  He has brain cancer but we're hoping we can make him better.  Thanks for the wishes 

That's shit pal, good mindset to keep positive. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

• Like 2

I was impressed today. I thought we played really well. Watford will think they were unlucky but rovers were never outstretched or outplayed IMO.

Defensively we were organised and mistakes were rare. We were caught out with the balls inside Brittain a number of times but that was about it.

When you’re trying to make judgements on a player, watch him away from home. Today showed up Leonard’s frailties. He has a lot to work on. Dolan, well did he ever find another team mate when he was on? I was also just saying to my son how Hedges does a lot of running with the ball but rarely creates or scores. Within minutes, guess what happened!

Got to mention Adam Wharton again. I don’t think I can remember the last time I saw a young rovers player with the passing ability that he’s got. First time passes, no first touch needed. He can do everything. Some of the things he does, some of his vision is Messi-like. He’s not there yet. He could contribute a lot more during the 90 minutes and he could reduce the number of times he concedes possession, all things any manager would demand. If you can’t get excited by his abilities though, then I really don’t know what you want.

Good show today but real team strengthening required up front. 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Andy said:

One complaint I do have from today (in addition to my platitudes from earlier) is our set pieces.

Understand that we need to think outside the box (literally) when we're playing bigger teams than us, but today's were woeful.

Not to mention the wasted journey upfield for our CBs.

Need to do better.

If set pieces are our worst points of a game, I will settle for that.

• Like 1