BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 16/09/2023

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He can speak the language, very well.

That quoted comment is based solely on his performance today. Obviously the smallest of samples. If it said, he doesnt look up to standard so he never will be, different argument. But we only have today to base it off, just as if he scored 2, people would say wow he looks incredible which would be equally flawed but wouldnt be jumped on so quickly. We get our first look at him, most naturally gain a first impression. As long as that is an opinion that would change if and when he does well, then no problem.

I just think a more constructive way to have debate would be to counter by saying actually he did this or that well, and actually talk about the game, rather than trying to shut people down because they are judging so soon. Its obvious that its based on one game.

Hes come from such a low standard and is 23 so young but not really young, and he has come straight into the squad so hes not a kid for later on. Today might be a sign of whats to come, or just part of a settling in period.

I’m not going to spend days arguing back and forth with you mate.

All I was saying was that people can be overly harsh in their criticism of new players. You disagreed and asked for evidence, I provided it. I’ve already stated that I can’t comment on his performance as I couldn’t watch the game. 

Anyway, good 3 points today and hopefully telalovic kicks on and we can all get behind him 👍 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 47er said:

I agree. They take too long to adjust if indeed they ever do. What about this season, it'll be half over by Christmas. Will he still be finding his feet?

It's a crazy flip from one extreme to another.

Mowbray signed plenty of players with first team experience in various leagues but they always had to play second fiddle to his wage driven pecking order.  Even then he wouldn't consider them for selection or starts until they hit certain targets in training - allegedly.

Now it's a case of throw them straight in even if half of them have never experienced mens football, anywhere.

If you can run, your in, sadly this needs a great deal of patience and understanding from fans and the majority do, these kids need 100% 98 mins support every game good bad or ugly there can be no entitlement in the stands anymore i'm afraid.  I think the fans have been good with that so far to be fair in the ground as frustrating as it can be.

Think Rovers need a pubic warning though on match adverts now, please go and watch plenty U23s football so you've an understanding of the instant step up some are trying to jump overnight.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

I’m not going to spend days arguing back and forth with you mate.

All I was saying was that people can be overly harsh in their criticism of new players. You disagreed and asked for evidence, I provided it. I’ve already stated that I can’t comment on his performance as I couldn’t watch the game. 

Anyway, good 3 points today and hopefully telalovic kicks on and we can all get behind him 👍 

Indeed. Everyone is already behind him as was evident today, and behind the team as a whole.

20 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It's a crazy flip from one extreme to another.

Mowbray signed plenty of players with first team experience in various leagues but they always had to play second fiddle to his wage driven pecking order.  Even then he wouldn't consider them for selection or starts until they hit certain targets in training - allegedly.

Now it's a case of throw them straight in even if half of them have never experienced mens football, anywhere.

If you can run, your in, sadly this needs a great deal of patience and understanding from fans and the majority do, these kids need 100% 98 mins support every game good bad or ugly there can be no entitlement in the stands anymore i'm afraid.  I think the fans have been good with that so far to be fair in the ground as frustrating as it can be.

Think Rovers need a pubic warning though on match adverts now, please go and watch plenty U23s football so you've an understanding of the instant step up some are trying to jump overnight.

I dont think that people do need to go and watch under 23 football to understand anything in regards to any supposed entitlement in the crowd. Ultimately, even though prices have actually increased in order to watch a team more reliant on graduates than ever before, there seems to be zero entitlement in how the team is backed.

Its first team football, people dont pay big prices and already give up lots of free time to watch development football, its all about the points. In an ideal world people will go and watch the kids teams too but they shouldnt be made to feel like they need to go simply to gain understanding, people are already intelligent enough to understand the difference. But as you say, the fans are always supportive and were great again today.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Indeed. Everyone is already behind him as was evident today, and behind the team as a whole.

I dont think that people do need to go and watch under 23 football to understand anything in regards to any supposed entitlement in the crowd. Ultimately, even though prices have actually increased in order to watch a team more reliant on graduates than ever before, there seems to be zero entitlement in how the team is backed.

Its first team football, people dont pay big prices and already give up lots of free time to watch development football, its all about the points. In an ideal world people will go and watch the kids teams too but they shouldnt be made to feel like they need to go simply to gain understanding, people are already intelligent enough to understand the difference. But as you say, the fans are always supportive and were great again today.

Take it in the context it was meant.

• Backroom

Not exactly uncommon for silly takes - positive and negative - to be posted in match threads, often in the heat of the moment with heightened emotions. Unless the poster continues to repeat it for days afterwards none of the comments made during matches should really be taken seriously. Hardly unique to this mb either. You'll see the same kind of comments on any other football message board during and after matches, as well as down the pub and in the stands. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, M_B said:

Great win, they're all great wins but as most have said, we didn't half make hard work of it. 

I'm feeling it for Dolan to be honest, he maybe needs taking out of it for a while, that was an absolute sitter,although from my angle, Gallagher's looked like it was a bit behind him and wasn't as gilt edged. 

Pears got away with one, but made some cracking saves, especially late on when he definitely got his angles right in a one on one to win the match. On the whole he had a great game to bounce back well. 

Szmodics could, should have had a hat trick but what a performance. He epitomises what a fan wants a player to give. 

I've aleays felt Dolan does better off the bench than he does starting.  Been tellin ya, gone to his head already with this lad.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

Like I said well in advance of the game, first team to score would win this fixture.

I thought we were very good in patches, and bafflingly bad in others. Dolan's early miss reminded me of a game I played in 40 years plus ago in Clitheroe, where I'd been put up front as a makeshift striker (my normal position was goalie) and a looping cross came in from the right, to me loloping forward to the 6 yard area totally unmarked. Our 'trainer' (a phsyio called Jack Blackledge who worked at Brockhall Hospital for many years) said quite distinctly 'He'll miss' which of course I duly did - almost identically to poor old Tyrhis, getting under the ball, and heading it ignominiously over the bar.

As a goalkeeper, those type of crosses are a nightmare (slight outswingers) but as a makeshift / makeweight striker, the amount of time you have to watch the ball coming to your head is even worse. That kind of cross needs to be met by someone with the strikers' instinct, otherwise it is more likely it is going into row Z. Dolan isn't a striker, in the Craig Bellamy, Alan Shearer, Simon Garner, David Speedie, Paul Dikov or Roque Santa Cruz mould. That's FO SHO!

Anyway, we won. We deserved to win. JDT is a genius. And Semir Telavic is the new Shefki Kuqi 🙂

BRING ON THE DIVES !

Always liked Shefki.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DE. said:

Not exactly uncommon for silly takes - positive and negative - to be posted in match threads, often in the heat of the moment with heightened emotions. Unless the poster continues to repeat it for days afterwards none of the comments made during matches should really be taken seriously. Hardly unique to this mb either. You'll see the same kind of comments on any other football message board during and after matches, as well as down the pub and in the stands. 

No offence, but that's a really depressing post.

There are posters who I enjoy reading on the match thread, who make well thought out and intelligent posts. You seem to be comparing them with others who just log in on matchdays to slag off everything that moves ('he's sh*t' 'he's a c*nt' blah blah)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

The pass from Telalovic to lay on Smodizc shows there is a player in there. He’s off the pace for sure but that’s 100% to be expected given he’s coming from a different league and our lads have taken 16 months to get up to speed with JDT’s way of playing. We move the ball at an hell of a speed now, no wonder he didn’t fit in immediately. 

Another note on today, Brittain was outstanding, JDT has a real job on his hands finding a way to get JRC and him in the side together as they’re both too good to be on the bench.

Good point, the way JDT wants to play is very demanding. I can imagine some of those lads won't know what's hit them.

The Championship is also demanding. 

Moran look shell-shocked yesterday by the end of the match and he was only on for a bit. He kept losing the ball, kept being closed down, and kept being dragged into positions he wasn't comfortable. Boro were all over him. It must be a huge step up from the U23's. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

Who were the old players on the pitch in the pre-game thing?

I didn’t hear all of them announced but… 

Gestede, Samba, Sulley, Sims ? , Taylor, Round, Hendry, Broomes, Parkes, Gallacher, Darling, Byrom, Douglas

Not sure why Scott Wharton was called across for the photo…🤔

IMG_4179.png

per @Parsonblue 

The guy next to Gordon Taylor and Chris Sulley is Johnny Byrom who was a great favourite in the early sixities before leaving for Bolton in 1966.  Seemed to always give us problems whenever we played Bolton thereafter.  Returned to Rovers right at the end of his career for a season.  A really great guy.

Chris Sims is between Bryan Douglas and Malcolm Darling.

Edited by Herbie6590
Corrected line-up
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

I didn’t hear all of them announced but… 

Gestede, Samba, Sulley, ? , Taylor, Round, Hendry, Broomes, Parkes, Gallacher, Darling, Byrom, Douglas

Not sure why Scott Wharton was called across for the photo…🤔

IMG_4179.png

Intrigued to know who ? is (between Sulley and Taylor)

Looks a similar age to Taylor so maybe a 70's player?

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

Yeah 

20 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Just watching the EFL highlights on ITVX.

Programme comes from Ewood to celebrate the 500th game. Worth a watch. 

Yeah, good that, I'd forgotten I called the ref's advantage at the time, before the second goal. At least he got something right. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

I wonder if Carrick is on borrowed time?

Hilarious how that generation (Lampard, Gerrard, Parker) appear clueless and way over promoted.

Not sure why he would be on borrow Time there. If anything the team can created plenty of chances but like us don't have that proven goalscorer. It's work in progress there. They picked him to improve the team results and he did that  q

The next to Gordon Taylor and Chris Sulley is Johnny Byrom who was a great favourite in the early sixities before leaving for Bolton in 1966.  Seemed to always give us problems whenever we played Bolton thereafter.  Returned to Rovers right at the end of his career for a season.  A really great guy.

Chris Sims is between Bryan Douglas and Malcolm Darling.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, USABlue said:

I've aleays felt Dolan does better off the bench than he does starting.  Been tellin ya, gone to his head already with this lad.

He definitely struggles in the position he's playing but also he tries to be too clever with everything in or around the box. I said that when he lashed at the penalty rebound it was schoolyard kickabout stuff trying to be spectacular.  

Yesterday the header miss was quite pathetic it was like a defensive clearance wtf is he doing there trying to flick it in the top corner of an open goal ?    Later on he tries to bring down a ball to lash a shot off instead of a simple touch to the player in space which should have been a certain goal.

Selfish, plain and simple and needs to iron it out or he'll be out but like has been said he's a great squad player but has never been a great starter.

Edited by tomphil

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The club are really helping this cause by having an U21s game at the same time as the first team play, this Wednesday.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

No offence, but that's a really depressing post.

There are posters who I enjoy reading on the match thread, who make well thought out and intelligent posts. You seem to be comparing them with others who just log in on matchdays to slag off everything that moves ('he's sh*t' 'he's a c*nt' blah blah)

No, just perhaps not worded 100% correctly being a late night post just before bed. By "none of the posts in the match thread" I meant none of the silly/dramatic posts made during the match, rather than all posts. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Edited by DE.