BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 16/09/2023

3 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

The next to Gordon Taylor and Chris Sulley is Johnny Byrom who was a great favourite in the early sixities before leaving for Bolton in 1966.  Seemed to always give us problems whenever we played Bolton thereafter.  Returned to Rovers right at the end of his career for a season.  A really great guy.

Chris Sims is between Bryan Douglas and Malcolm Darling.

Bobby Moore hated playing against Johnny, he always scored against West Ham. For Rovers and Bolton.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I trained with Malcolm a few times when he was just about at the end of his career (at Darwen).

Lovely unassuming fella.

I thought he was going to make it big time. He had it all, he was quick, could beat a man, had two good feet and he had a good spring in his legs. He once scored a true hat trick in an FA Cup game against Pompey. Right foot shot, left foot shot, and a header. One that missed his way really, I know he had a long career but as a young player I thought the sky was the limit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Have done it plenty of times myself tbf. Sometimes you post something during a match, especially if we're losing or things seem to be going against us, and later you realise it was an unfair comment. If it was muttered in a pub or when you were sitting at Ewood nobody would care or even remember after the match, but obviously on here people can go back through the match thread afterwards and pick out posts to criticise. Such is the internet.

"on here sad people can go back through the match thread afterwards and pick out posts to criticise. Such is the internet."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I trained with Malcolm a few times when he was just about at the end of his career (at Darwen).

Lovely unassuming fella.

I'm pretty sure he worked at ROF when his professional career ended Andy. Working there at that time was Jimmy Birkett who was also the Darwen manager who persuaded him to sign.

• Like 1

One of the biggest positive from this season is that JDT has put his stamp finally on this team and the team JDT wants that plays attacking football and creating plenty of chances. The players suit it and I have enjoyed watching play with such identify and you can see how they want to play

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I'm pretty sure he worked at ROF when his professional career ended Andy. Working there at that time was Jimmy Birkett who was also the Darwen manager who persuaded him to sign.

Ah good old Jimmy. They were happy days Tony and it was brilliant how they let the likes of Patty, Eggy, me and our kid learn from the likes of Malcolm and Frank O’Kane while we were still just schoolboys was fantastic.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I always thought Wilcox was a lightweight. I don’t go in for abusing players at the game though. Nobody plays better when the home fans are on their back, with away fans it’s different,  that should inspire you. They only boo good players.

Jason’s football intelligence was immense. He made the best of his talents but also knew how to bring the best out of those around him. Ask King Alan. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Jason’s football intelligence was immense. He made the best of his talents but also knew how to bring the best out of those around him. Ask King Alan. 

not sure his football intelligence was all that.it was kenny that made the best use of his limited skill set,get the ball in the box as quickly as possible,kenny was such a good manager he did the same for atkins,who was absolutely pillored by everybody before kenny got hold of him

those two shattered the myth that we bought the title,wilcox came through the youth system and atkins cost 20 grand,both of them were instrumental in us securing the title  ✌️ up to the media!!!!!

18 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

not sure his football intelligence was all that.it was kenny that made the best use of his limited skill set,get the ball in the box as quickly as possible,kenny was such a good manager he did the same for atkins,who was absolutely pillored by everybody before kenny got hold of him

those two shattered the myth that we bought the title,wilcox came through the youth system and atkins cost 20 grand,both of them were instrumental in us securing the title  ✌️ up to the media!!!!!

It’s a narrative the media wanted to portray.

Its been pointed out on here recently, how much Man U have spent over the last 10 years.

As Kenny said at the time, the money helps, but it’s not the be all and end all. 

Edited by lraC
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

He once reffed a game I was playing in when I was 19/20 years old and took our manager to one side to ask about the quality lad up front (me). Our manager was quite taken aback, he thought I was shit.

• Like 2

Finally got a chance to look at the very limited highlights that Sky provide.

Bloody hell that Dolan chance, assumed it was bad but that was just bonkers. Never mind a bad miss as that can happen to all players, that attempted header looks more like he is trying not to score, he seems to be trying to get his head under it in a clearing fashion. 

Its that bad you would nearly question is there some betting scam going on with him!

• Like 2

Brilliant result and for 60 minutes an outstanding performance that would give any one in this league a game, after Boro got a fortunate goal we did seem to lose our shape alot and looked brittle as we have during the opening 6 games. 

A better team then Boro would murder us if we play the way we did from 60 mins onwards but we would murder any team with the way we played the first 60.. crazy

Although he scored twice Sammie wasn't my MOM that goes to Brittain ..he was magnificent 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Irish_Rover said:

Bloody hell that Dolan chance, assumed it was bad but that was just bonkers. Never mind a bad miss as that can happen to all players, that attempted header looks more like he is trying not to score, he seems to be trying to get his head under it in a clearing fashion. 

Its that bad you would nearly question is there some betting scam going on with him!

I think it’s more a case of a player who couldn’t head a ball to save his life.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

One of the biggest positive from this season is that JDT has put his stamp finally on this team and the team JDT wants that plays attacking football and creating plenty of chances. The players suit it and I have enjoyed watching play with such identify and you can see how they want to play

It’s a good, if somewhat scary watch.

We will have to take the rough with the smooth, because I suspect the better sides will fill their boots.

Will help if Telalovic settles in quickly.

20 minutes ago, Irish_Rover said:

Those were my thoughts when it happened and since. A good defensive header.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Irish_Rover said:

I'd like to see some extended highlights, but I feel like he missed an equally bad header with an open goal in the second half too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

He once reffed a game I was playing in when I was 19/20 years old and took our manager to one side to ask about the quality lad up front (me). Our manager was quite taken aback, he thought I was shit.

He was a proper football man. Played and managed at a very good level and took up refereeing later on. Had he started earlier in his life I think he would have gone all the way.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd like to see some extended highlights, but I feel like he missed an equally bad header with an open goal in the second half too. 

He did and then took a shot when a pass to Gally was by far the better option.

Maybe he just doesn't like heading the ball resulting in those pathetic opt outs.

• Like 1