BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 16/09/2023

3 hours ago, robbojohnno said:

Strange as I thought we played some scintillating football and could have had 5 or 6 on another day. JDT is working wonders and turning water into wine. Roll on Wednesday.

True some decent football, but same problem, not being able to finish a game and hanging on by our fingertips the last 15-20 minutes. We need to learn how to put a game beyond the reach of the opposition.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

If I was manager, Schmodics would be playing up front. 

Why would you move you best attacking player in Sammie Szmodics from his best position? The role and ability to play the number 10 role like JDT wants is class and he was bargain at what we paid for him. 

28 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

True some decent football, but same problem, not being able to finish a game and hanging on by our fingertips the last 15-20 minutes. We need to learn how to put a game beyond the reach of the opposition.

I don't think we were hanging on but we created several decent opportunities to score at 2-1. 

Also I am thrilled how we are playing attacking wise and some of the play is excellent to watch. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

11 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’d be like playing Dack up front, we tried that.

Szmodics is much more mobile than Dack, covers a lot more ground and runs the channels etc, so I think he would make a much better fist of playing as a 9 imo than Dack . Still he's great at 10, we should leave him there. Need one of Gallagher, Ennis or Telalovic to make the number 9 role really work. Difference between mid table or playoffs for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Szmodics is much more mobile than Dack, covers a lot more ground and runs the channels etc, so I think he would make a much better fist of playing as a 9 imo than Dack . Still he's great at 10, we should leave him there. Need one of Gallagher, Ennis or Telalovic to make the number 9 role really work. Difference between mid table or playoffs for us.

Completely agree with this. Szmodics would do a better job in the false 9 role than Dack did - but I'd still rather have him playing at 10 behind an out and out striker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, booth said:

Still having nightmares about that offside goal… 

The thing that relaxes me is that in the end it didn't affect the result, apart from goal difference. Think how much more frustrating it would have been had Boro scored again.

We will get crap decisions by referees again soon, both against us and for us. The real frustration is when that decision goes on to change the result of a game.

Szmodics works well in the 10 because he finds the space created by the players ahead of him.

For example, the first goal against Boro doesn’t happen without Gallagher’s decoy run; he doesn’t have space to run into and shoot.

Very difficult for him to create space for himself in the same way.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, only2garners said:

The thing that relaxes me is that in the end it didn't affect the result, apart from goal difference. Think how much more frustrating it would have been had Boro scored again.

We will get crap decisions by referees again soon, both against us and for us. The real frustration is when that decision goes on to change the result of a game.

I commented at the end that it felt like we'd lost points due to that linesman putting us under pressure. Took some time to sink in that we'd taken all three points, but it was made far more difficult. 2-1 was flattering to Boro.

3 hours ago, Andy said:

Szmodics works well in the 10 because he finds the space created by the players ahead of him.

For example, the first goal against Boro doesn’t happen without Gallagher’s decoy run; he doesn’t have space to run into and shoot.

Very difficult for him to create space for himself in the same way.

There’s a world of difference between playing where he plays now and playing up front with your back to goal.

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

why would he be going there? 

They have overhaul the squad there and To be fair they are creating chances. Time to stick with Carrick for me 

Gibson has a history of being trigger happy. I would agree that they should stick with Carrick, though.