BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

A few extra thoughts.

JDT has said Travis asked to leave. We don't really know the context of that (if true). We don't know what JDT or others have said to Travis. Of course JDT as a club employee is going to say things that paint him and the Club in a healthier light than a popular senior homegrown player being sent packing....on loan....to Ipswich. 

If people at Rovers have said to him "we're getting shut of you, you ain't playing until we do" then of course Travis will want to look elsewhere.

They have to come up with something convincing because on the surface of it this is one of the more bizarre transfers I can remember. Loaning your club captain out to a side 20+ points above you in the same division. Unheard of.

Yes there has been engineering of his move out. It is quite clear that since November a decision was reached that he would not be featuring in the team and his lack of appearances over Xmas at a time when we had lots of games and few players to call upon was inexplicable other than to keep him out of the way for Ipswich to come along. It isn't as simple or innocent as preferring another player in his position. That's fine, but Travis would still have featured at least as a sub if there was normality at the Club.

Do you start Travis ahead of Tronstad or Wharton?

It isn't quite clear the club were engineering a move to get him out, il take JDTs word, Travis wants to play as a holding midfielder and JDT prefers another player in that position.

Travis doesn't want to be a sub here.Can you think of many players of Travs age staying at their clubs after  going from captain and playing week in week out in his preferred position to then being on the bench most weeks and when they do get on the field it's out of position?

It's all well and good you or me or whoever saying "Travis would still play and get his chances from the bench". If he asked to leave both in the summer and October like JDT said then a move was best for all concerned.

Il see where we are at at the end of the window before I rush to Judgement, if 4 or 5 come in on the back of Hill and Travis leaving and a couple have some experience then I'm not going to be too upset over losing the managers 3rd or 4th choice midfielder.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AllRoverAsia said:

We are now firmly Brighton's academy. Some will see that as a feather in our cap. I give up.

Broughton certainly does. Made a big point about our ties to Brighton like it should be celebrated. If you don't laugh, you'll cry. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roverblue said:

My point was Travis was given to him and he didn’t use him this season. I never mentioned anyone else other than Kaminski which is the same point.

He can’t moan about experience when he overlooks it or moves it on. He should just say I don’t rate them and want somebody else instead.

its PR bullshit 

He has played 20 times in the Championship this season... how is that not using him?

Travis leaving undoubtedly weakens the squad. People say rightly that Tronstad and Wharton are our main 2. But we need more than a first 11, thats been a big issue all season, and Travis is clearly 3rd in line, or should be. Garrett isnt as good, but he is on a lower wage, Travis' wage was touched on as Tomasson discussed his exit. Our squad becomes thinner in that area, less experienced and more of a soft touch.

This young lad coming in I think further adds weight to the idea that now under Venkys, we sign what we can not what we need. We need a striker and a quick winger. Weve got seemingly another lightweight number 10, maybe at a push can play elsewhere, similar to Moran. Not what is needed, before factoring in a failed spell at Coventry.

People keep talking about 1 player replacing another player. We need a bigger squad, not just a reshuffle with the same numbers.

• Like 4

I would have thought the club would try to get a transfer fee for Travis in case it becomes all too apparent that he's not the player he once was. It could go the other way, but there's a big risk, as it's very unlikely he'll play for Rovers again. Even a small nominal fee would have done, I think.

Edited by riverholmes

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Do you start Travis ahead of Tronstad or Wharton?

It isn't quite clear the club were engineering a move to get him out, il take JDTs word, Travis wants to play as a holding midfielder and JDT prefers another player in that position.

Travis doesn't want to be a sub here.Can you think of many players of Travs age staying at their clubs after  going from captain and playing week in week out in his preferred position to then being on the bench most weeks and when they do get on the field it's out of position?

It's all well and good you or me or whoever saying "Travis would still play and get his chances from the bench". If he asked to leave both in the summer and October like JDT said then a move was best for all concerned.

Il see where we are at at the end of the window before I rush to Judgement, if 4 or 5 come in on the back of Hill and Travis leaving and a couple have some experience then I'm not going to be too upset over losing the managers 3rd or 4th choice midfielder.

Not at this moment in time, no. 

But there is a bigger picture. I can't see Wharton and Tronstad playing 90 minutes for the rest of the season. So someone else will need to come in. That's the reason Ipswich have signed him. Proven depth. What do we have in reserve?

Travis is likely to be a sub at Ipswich, at least to start with. I assume he is content to do that and try to work his way in. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Broughton is a penis, well actually limp dick

Objectively I think he has done a good job. The renewal of contracts is something to be acknowledged. Our cash buys on the whole have been excellent and to get the right squad overall will take time. We are also running on a budget of 15% less than last year. This is not Greggs or JDTs fault. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

But there is a bigger picture. I can't see Wharton and Tronstad playing 90 minutes for the rest of the season. So someone else will need to come in. That's the reason Ipswich have signed him. Proven depth. What do we have in reserve?

Travis is likely to be a sub at Ipswich, at least to start with. I assume he is content to do that and try to work his way in. 

I'm taking JDTs word that Travis asked to leave here not once but twice.

Before JRC got injured he was preferred to Travis in midfield ,so that's 3 ahead of him when everybody fit.

Like I said I'd want to see what else we bring in before I'd give a full judgement on it, but I can see 100% why Travis would have been demanding of a move away when he isn't getting minutes in his preferred position and seemingly the manager prefers a player with different attributes to Travis to play that role.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Agree with first point, but we have to wait and see what happens over next 3 weeks.

As for Trav being Content to work his way in at Ipswich but not here you are missing potential context. Maybe he gave it 5 months here and still wasn't getting what he wanted so no point giving it 5 months more in his mind. At Ipswich he might be in the same position, but if he does break in there he might be able to secure a Premier League move to Ipswich in the Summer if it works out and they go up. Remember it's a Loan not a permanent move.

13 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

Agree with first point, but we have to wait and see what happens over next 3 weeks.

As for Trav being Content to work his way in at Ipswich but not here you are missing potential context. Maybe he gave it 5 months here and still wasn't getting what he wanted so no point giving it 5 months more in his mind. At Ipswich he might be in the same position, but if he does break in there he might be able to secure a Premier League move to Ipswich in the Summer if it works out and they go up. Remember it's a Loan not a permanent move.

The LT article said he reluctantly agreed, which suggests he was forced out rather than being his choice, ie a budget saving. Unless he fears he won’t get the desired game time at Ipswich either. 

18 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I'm taking JDTs word that Travis asked to leave here not once but twice.

I think we can take that as fact. There were strong rumours that Millwall were bidding on him in the summer, and someone was saying the other week that Travis' uncle was publicly saying (I think on Twitter?) in October that Travis had fallen out with JDT or something like that. It matches up too well with what JDT is saying (that he asked to leave in the summer and in October). Besides, it would be very stupid to claim Travis has asked to leave twice if he hasn't, as Travis could very easily contradict that at some point if he wishes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

When you’re in a potential relegation battle with a an inexperienced and injury hit squad you don’t ship out one of your most experienced players who can play a number of positions even if he’s out of the manager’s good books at present. It’s easy to join up the dots

Starting to smell like (another) deliberate relegation!

• Like 1

I have to admit I was very surprised to see Trav go out on loan, but if I think about it, my shock comes from him being the captain, experienced and it being a loan. I actually think the last dozen or so times he has played he has looked a liability and I've felt more assured when Garrett has come on.

The elephant in the room is his experience needing replacing, Rovers must bring in some experience.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

It's not 5 months he has given it here. He was starting pretty regularly until October. In December it sounds like he had kicked up enough stink about wanting out that he wasn't playing primarily for that reason (whether that be as punishment for being disruptive, or to keep him fresh and uninjured for his Ipswich move). So he's given it 2 months (3 if I'm wrong about why he wasn't playing in December).

3 minutes ago, cesus said:

I have to admit I was very surprised to see Trav go out on loan, but if I think about it, my shock comes from him being the captain, experienced and it being a loan. I actually think the last dozen or so times he has played he has looked a liability and I've felt more assured when Garrett has come on.

The elephant in the room is his experience needing replacing, Rovers must bring in some experience.

He hasn't played since Oct. Probably wanted to leave in the summer when we had the 800k bid for him. Surprised the owners didn't cash in then

3 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

The LT article said he reluctantly agreed, which suggests he was forced out rather than being his choice, ie a budget saving. Unless he fears he won’t get the desired game time at Ipswich either. 

Could be that has has been pushed towards accepting the deal from higher up, but the only direct quote we have from anyone is that JDT has said he asked to leave twice so that will hold more weight for me than what the press "understands" but are unwilling to state where the claims come from.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cesus said:

He hasn't played since Oct. Probably wanted to leave in the summer when we had the 800k bid for him. Surprised the owners didn't cash in then

Yasin Ayari

Director of football Gregg Broughton said: “We are delighted to make Yasin the first signing of the January transfer window.

“He had two seasons playing senior football for AIK in Sweden, before joining Brighton last January and going on to make his Premier League debut.

I think it is telling that a 'delegation' comes over from India, then there seems to be another flurry of cost cutting measures that further tie the manager sorry head coach's hands. If a bid comes in for Szmodics, A Wharton, or Carter, what is the betting that the whole season gets written off so that the sodding bean counters can save face?

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It's not 5 months he has given it here. He was starting pretty regularly until October. In December it sounds like he had kicked up enough stink about wanting out that he wasn't playing primarily for that reason (whether that be as punishment for being disruptive, or to keep him fresh and uninjured for his Ipswich move). So he's given it 2 months (3 if I'm wrong about why he wasn't playing in December).

But he asked for a transfer in the summer as he wants to play in a specific role, so im taking 5 months from that point.

• Like 1

How long ago was JDT moaning publicly about the lack of experience and young team comments?

Now he let Travis leave for another Championship team, replaced him with a 20yr old boy on loan. Totally insane imo. And how long ago were we complaining about the lack of depth in central midfield?

I smell relegation coming, if not this season, maybe next. I give up.

• Like 1