BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

• Backroom
55 minutes ago, BigBar said:

This is spot on, he has a goalscorer in the team, top scorer in the division. The problems aren't solely down to not having someone to put it in the net, the problems are elsewhere which the manager simply hasn't address or found a solution to.

Indeed, if you look at our goals scored column it's perfectly reasonable compared to other teams in the division. The primary issue is the goals against column which is second-worst in the entire division. We need to find a way to grind out scrappy 1-0 wins when required - mainly because due to a weak mentality we can't win when we go behind, so scoring first is a must.

• Like 2

Adam Wharton

- 4 years left on his contract.
- Starts pretty much every match for his boyhood club.
- Very highly rated (being eyed up by half of the Premier League).
- Young and English.

He won't go for less than £20m, with a decent sell-on too.

Say what you want about Gregg, but he isn't an idiot - he knows what he has.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 9

25 minutes ago, DE. said:

Indeed, if you look at our goals scored column it's perfectly reasonable compared to other teams in the division. The primary issue is the goals against column which is second-worst in the entire division. We need to find a way to grind out scrappy 1-0 wins when required - mainly because due to a weak mentality we can't win when we go behind, so scoring first is a must.

JDT has repeatedly said that he would rather win 4-3 than 1-0.

If he was going to tighten up the side with an extra midfielder or something I think he would have done it by now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

If he was going to tighten up the side with an extra midfielder or something I think he would have done it by now.

But would he rather win 1-0 than lose ?

• Like 4

Losing Wharton for anything less than £20m would be a huge disappointment. GB has not exactly lit the place up with some of the incomings to the club (particularly the striker department) but he's done an exceptional job in tying down our academy assets. Something the previous setup failed miserably with.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We obviously need to offload to bring players in and maybe we would have sold him if we had a suitable offer 

It was the 5th January when he went on loan, who knows what would’ve happened bids wise by the 31st… but of course we are that desperate to reduce costs we’ll never know.

Edited by Mattyblue

If my memory is correct, the first 6 months of JDT being here were full of scrappy 1-0 wins

I was starting to think the stories of him wanting to play possession, flowing football were a myth. We sat deep and we soaked up pressure. I can see why you want to move from that style - it doesn't win you anything, really. Not many great sides have won big things by playing like that all season. Maybe Leicester in their PL surprise is the only team I can name that has had success in this way. Yet, for Rovers, it ground out results and got us into a place where promotion was achievable. JDT would do well to remember them months. It doesn't have to be pretty all the time and getting wins under a squads' belt is far more important than being attractive

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

If my memory is correct, the first 6 months of JDT being here were full of scrappy 1-0 wins

I was starting to think the stories of him wanting to play possession, flowing football were a myth. We sat deep and we soaked up pressure. I can see why you want to move from that style - it doesn't win you anything, really. Not many great sides have won big things by playing like that all season. Maybe Leicester in their PL surprise is the only team I can name that has had success in this way. Yet, for Rovers, it ground out results and got us into a place where promotion was achievable. JDT would do well to remember them months. It doesn't have to be pretty all the time and getting wins under a squads' belt is far more important than being attractive

Do you remember: 1-0 to the Arsenal ? Or most decent Italian teams, ever.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

That's why there is never a plan B and never will be it's that way shit or bust and players have to cope and fans have to lump it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

Do you remember: 1-0 to the Arsenal ? Or most decent Italian teams, ever.

I am talking about in the modern era

In the last 10-15 years football has changed massively. Defending and holding on to 1 goal leads isn't a model for success at the present time

But, when the chips are down, it has to be considered to get points on the board

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

That's why there is never a plan B and never will be it's that way shit or bust and players have to cope and fans have to lump it.

and one of the reasons there is no Plan B is because player development and adding value are seen as more important than winning games.

• Like 7

• Backroom
1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Yep, but what we need to be successful and what he's said are two different things. His remit is developing players to increase value, mine as a supporter is for my team to be as successful as possible. Ideally the two would go hand-in-hand, but for that to be the case one imagines JDT would have been more practical by this point. 

The new model is to loan players out to get their wages off the books and bring in premier league clubs players on loan where their clubs pay the players wage but we guarantee appearances.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheRevAshton said:

Adam Wharton

- Very highly rated (being eyed up half of the Premier League).
- Young and English.

I wonder if he was Scottish would there be any premier league clubs after him , Don't get me wrong he is a talented player but i don't think he is head and shoulders the most talented player in our team like most here do .

I think Andrew Moran the is best and most talented player in the team . The few times he has played just behind the striker he has looked a class above Wharton.

I think he is a better dribbler than Wharton , better passing range and better finisher and eye for goal. I might be in the minority but I think he has a higher ceiling than Wharton and will make it with a top premier league team unlike Wharton.  Its just my opinion though I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Has to say that though doesn't he when you ship goals for fun. Don't buy it one bit.

36 minutes ago, martonrover said:

and one of the reasons there is no Plan B is because player development and adding value are seen as more important than winning games.

Correct they have to grow into the style and learn it so it appears they are great footballers for better teams to pick off. If you can't cope you'll be sidelined then moved on and mistakes are expected and allowed even if it loses game after game.

Despite the fact that won't exactly add value nor get them noticed for the right things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

The thing with Wharton is he has an unteachae natural ability and with his age clubs no they can work on the rest of his game and have a player of real quality. He’s a country mile better than Moran even now

Well the Brighton coach did call Moran the Irish Phil Foden . That's some praise.

31 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Moran had a decent spell October/November time, apart from that can’t say he’s pulled up many trees. Who knows how careers will ultimately develop. But a ‘class above’ Wharton on what we’ve watched? Can’t say I’ve seen much evidence of that.

You can't play well when your played out of position . In the two games where Moran was played centrally as no 10 . Against cardiff he scored two goals and had two assists . Against Leicester although we were thrashed 4-1 . He was head and shoulders our best player.  

Adam Wharton does at least a few things every match which show he's destined for bigger things. Against Watford he was several levels above every other player on the pitch. Class act. Even if Moran's best position is number 10 rather than out wide, you'd still expect to see more from him if he does have such ability.

57 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

The new model is to loan players out to get their wages off the books and bring in premier league clubs players on loan where their clubs pay the players wage but we guarantee appearances.

This 100%.

• Like 3

Course you can play well if asked to play somewhere other than where you prefer. If he’s supposed to be the ‘Irish Foden’ he should be standing out like a sore thumb in this league every week… he doesn’t.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheRevAshton said:

Adam Wharton

- Very highly rated (being eyed up half of the Premier League).
- Young and English.

At a a normal club you'd hold on to your prized assets like your life depended on it, sadly we are no longer a normal club. If anyone came in for Wharton today with £20m, that would be reinvested, I'd bite the hand off. 

Back in the real world, we'll probably sell him anyway and the money will never see the light of day.......

Venkys out.

• Like 3