BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

7 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

JDT has worked with him previously and spoke of him glowingly in the last few days, so I suspect we have been trying to get him for a while.

Sounds like we were very keen to have him.

Yeah I know but I think that's all hype speak and have just dressed it up a bit. I genuinely think they've got this kid hanging around the first team that's not going to get any game time and have thought to send him to us. Can't imagine Rovers have been that desperate to chuck money at some kid for a loan that didn't do much at COV. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I don't believe he has worked with him previously. JDT has never managed a club Ayari was at. I think the confusion has come from a quote from Ayari about playing against JDT's Malmo.

Ah weird - transfer market has it down that they were both at Malmo in 2020 to 2021. But wiki never mentions a spell at Malmo.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/amir-ayari/profil/spieler/848919

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasin_Ayari

Fair enough. Does sound like JDT wanted him very much though.

23 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Ah weird - transfer market has it down that they were both at Malmo in 2020 to 2021. But wiki never mentions a spell at Malmo.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/amir-ayari/profil/spieler/848919

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasin_Ayari

Fair enough. Does sound like JDT wanted him very much though.

You have the wrong Ayari profile on transfermarkt 😉 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/yasin-ayari/profil/spieler/667287

I think the comment about "Ayari knows about JDT from JDTs time at Malmo" relates to the fact that both were in Sweden at the same time (Ayari at AIK and JDT at Malmo)

I guess it would be like like Adam Wharton saying he knows about Arsene Wenger from his time at Arsenal.

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, roverblue said:

Morton was an enigma to me having watched him at Ewood over a full season. I still believe there was some sort of deal where he had to play.

He couldn’t defend or tackle.

He didn’t assist or score.

Instead he just existed in the middle and recycled possession like it was a hot potato.

Wharton and Tronstad are massive upgrades on him in my opinion. Fair play if he makes it in the prem but he showed nothing at rovers to make me think he will.

I agree on Morton. Tronstad does seem to be a much better player. Morton seemed like a good lad but seemed a little bit lightweight last season. I didn't see a premier league player in him during his time with Rovers.

Not sure how he's getting on at Hull, but being up and around the playoffs with a side for the 2nd season running won't do him any harm at all.

12 hours ago, Andy said:

Pears apparently at fault for both goals.

Anyone who genuinely thinks he's any better than Leo has a very, very (very) short memory.

Disagree that Pears was at fault.  It was appalling defending that cost the goals not the 'keeper at fault.  At the end, with Reading pressing, he made some excellent clearances from corners.  Can't get back soon enough for me.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, sharpysharps86 said:

I agree on Morton. Tronstad does seem to be a much better player. Morton seemed like a good lad but seemed a little bit lightweight last season. I didn't see a premier league player in him during his time with Rovers.

Not sure how he's getting on at Hull, but being up and around the playoffs with a side for the 2nd season running won't do him any harm at all.

My mate is a Hull fan. I said we had him on loan last year and was mostly crap. My mate says hes been good this year and has impressed the Hull fans. Apparently he has helped the team retain possession much better than last year. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Disagree that Pears was at fault.  It was appalling defending that cost the goals not the 'keeper at fault.  At the end, with Reading pressing, he made some excellent clearances from corners.  Can't get back soon enough for me.

Don't worry Parson, Andy obviously has a weird fan boy thing about Wahlstedt given that he refers to him as "Leo" and Pears as "Pears" so he's hardly likely to judge him objectively.

I agree with you. We can't go on with the keeper giving 1-2 goals a game away. Pears makes the odd blunder but with nowhere near  the same frequency as Wahlstedt.

Nothing whatsoever sticks with Wahlstedt the ball's like a bar of soap. He can't even make a simple catch, he always has to pat the ball down.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Heartening to hear that we're being consistent throughout the whole club.

• Like 1

Morton clearly has something about him. He got a new long term Liverpool deal at the end of last season despite being injured so that shows that they see something there. 

To be fair to him he came here and at 19 played virtually every game in a side that was sat in the top 6 all season and should have got into the play-offs and the FA Cup semi so I don't think that is too bad. Since then has played every week and getting good reviews at a side outperforming us. 

I do think there is too high an expectation on players particularly in the middle of the pitch in terms of what they contribute. The same seems to have applied to Travis and before that many others who people expect to be able to do 'everything' well.

Anyhow, almost at the mid-way point of the window and looks set to be another fiasco. Quickly managed to get the captain and one of the few experienced battlers in the side out the door to a promotion chasing team, tried to cover that up with the pointless signings of two more kids probably costing us nothing and since then another experienced player gone back to Bournemouth (admittedly might not be our fault but that's the risk you take when signing loans).

As it stands, disastrous, again.

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Anyhow, almost at the mid-way point of the window and looks set to be another fiasco. Quickly managed to get the captain and one of the few experienced battlers in the side out the door to a promotion chasing team, tried to cover that up with the pointless signings of two more kids probably costing us nothing and since then another experienced player gone back to Bournemouth (admittedly might not be our fault but that's the risk you take when signing loans).

As it stands, disastrous, again.

I'm not sure we can call Hill an experienced player, unless you mean in comparison to literal recent academy graduates?

He essentially had 2 seasons in League one and half a season in Scotland before we signed him on loan.

I am not saying he wont be missed, he did very well in his time at Rovers, fingers crossed Bournemouth buy a defender or 4 and send him back later this month

Edited by KentExile

1 minute ago, Ghost7 said:

Hull in 7th place are doing exactly what our despicable owners wouldn't do when we were in 2nd (and will never do for that matter)... going for it.

Unfit for English football.. No interest! Venky's out!!

To say I'm not a fan of Venkys is an understatement, but remember under Mogga, the season prior we had signed Breo, Arma, Gally and then the added Harvey Elliot etc.

That was our opportunity and it was squandered.   We've had some class players of the past few years.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

To say I'm not a fan of Venkys is an understatement, but remember under Mogga, the season prior we had signed Breo, Arma, Gally and then the added Harvey Elliot etc.

That was our opportunity and it was squandered.   We've had some class players of the past few years.

Two seasons in a row we were in with a real chance of the playoffs (or better) and would probably have made it with 1 or 2 judicious signings

This season we're in desperate need of good signings to avoid getting involved in a relegation battle

Will we make them? On past form not a chance

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Didn't we finish something like 15th the season we had Harvey Elliott, after another Mowbray death spiral? Absolutely unforgiveable really given the players we had, we should have been at least top half and possibly even top 6. Brereton was starting to show some form playing on the left, Armstrong was banging the goals in and Harvey Elliott got something like 11 assists. It's as bad as having Rhodes and Gestede both hit 20 goals in a season and not even make the playoffs 😭.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Hard to disagree there but I believe he’s talking about January windows. We absolutely fucked the last two up - golden opportunities to reach the promised land - due to our beyond incompetent owners.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Hard to disagree there but I believe he’s talking about January windows. We absolutely fucked the last two up - golden opportunities to reach the promised land - due to our beyond incompetent owners.

Yes, a decent striker in either August or Jan last season would definitely seen us into the playoffs. 

• Like 2

People talk about us needing this player and that player when we were 2nd . I honestly believe we just had the managers the wrong way round. JDT would have gotten us promoted or at least give it a real go with the teams Mowbray had. The manager let us down. Yeah we would have had a better chance if we had signed players but the players we had were more than capable of promotion. Now with no aim, expectations or direction tony would probably stop us shipping goals . Funny old world

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Morton was awful end of.

I agree never been more underwhelmed with a player with such expectations. Even now people talk like he’s just gaining experience to be the next Henderson. He will sign for a club like hull in a season or two and be forgotten 

48 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

That's an almighty leap of logic, although that's nothing new for you.

I'd suggest it's probably because Leo is much easier to type than Walhstedt rather than some mythical fatherly bond.

The “Leo” point might be flawed but the poster in question does defend Wahlstedt no matter how many mistakes he makes. Apparently he was brilliant against Watford despite directly throwing away all 3 points…

Anyway, irrelevant ultimately. They’re both crap

4 hours ago, roverblue said:

Morton was an enigma to me having watched him at Ewood over a full season. I still believe there was some sort of deal where he had to play.

He couldn’t defend or tackle.

He didn’t assist or score.

Instead he just existed in the middle and recycled possession like it was a hot potato.

Wharton and Tronstad are massive upgrades on him in my opinion. Fair play if he makes it in the prem but he showed nothing at rovers to make me think he will.

Just like Moran now he was lacking the physicality and strength that he should no doubt grow into and he maybe wasn't up to the high intensity style JDT wanted.

Clearly a good player in there but was still a way off it but is now well thought of at Hull and no doubt his time here helped that.

That's why these lads are sent here and there are clearly verbal promises if not contractual ones made in regards to mins on the pitch. Perhaps from our point of view we should try and source the types that actually fit what we need not just any decent quality player we can grab then try and fit them in.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Tell you what, there hasn't been many 'ITK' posters this window - I remember there were loads in the Summer.

Most of the time it was pure BS... but I kinda miss it, which is a bit weird 😄

Bring back TommyRovers

• Like 2