BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

1 minute ago, sparky12 said:

Palace fans don't seem to think he would be a Hodgson type of player.

To be fair Hodgson didn't know how to manage England internationals so you could be right.

(I genuinely hate the man)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neal said:

To be honest with the exception of some younguns going on loan I can see this being much a do about nothing. 

Nice one Will. I guess we can then have a “Midnight summer dream” about spending Wharton’s cash on quality players for next year. 😊

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Or a chance for a massive pay rise whilst having a realistic chance of a decent amount of Premier League football alongside some other really talented young players. Rather than staying here in a team treading water in the bottom half of the Championship whose owners have gone AWOL.

Yes, Palace is a good move for him if he backs himself. Straight into the team. Anyone else in for him (Spurs, Chelsea etc) have massive squads with players they paid £50M+ for in his position. He could never see the light of day.

If I was him I think I'd prefer Palace. If he performs will move on again on a couple of years for the mega money.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes, Palace is a good move for him if he backs himself. Straight into the team. Anyone else in for him (Spurs, Chelsea etc) have massive squads with players they paid £50M+ for in his position. He could never see the light of day.

If I was him I think I'd prefer Palace. If he performs will move on again on a couple of years for the mega money.

Wharton made that Enzo Fernandez look like he was making his debut in professional football.

Edited by RoversClitheroe
  • Like 2

It's a shame that we've got a youngster on a long deal who wants to stay we could have got a lot more in say 18 months time for him but that just shows where the club is right now. 

Atleast he's done his best to maximise the return we get for him unlike Phillips.

Seems strange for us to let him go without a bidding war that will no doubt happen in the summer. 

We in no rush to sell (4.5 year deal) so it’s strange to let him go at the first bidder.

CPFC is not a great move for him stylistically. Roy doesn’t play football, they bypass midfield, and will probably mis-profile him as a 10, as he’s ’good on the ball’.

Think his dad and agent have Mis advised him if he ends up there 

• Like 2

If the Palace thing is right, as has been said on here, it’s a club signing, not the manager. The youth setup at Palace is famously solid and you only have to look at the trust they have in (relative) youth to see there’s a pathway for him. I think an opportunity to play in the Premier League and show what you can do, he either learns a lot and develops or quickly gets picked up by a team higher up the food chain.

We’ve been lucky in the past to have players like Dunny come through and stay (apart from a brief sojourn to the midlands) with us for the bulk of their careers, so this stings, but I think as JDT said last night, we should be proud of/hopeful for him that he has a good, long career and maybe comes home for the last little bit.

Just now, Realistic Rover said:

Seems strange for us to let him go without a bidding war that will no doubt happen in the summer. 

We in no rush to sell (4.5 year deal) so it’s strange to let him go at the first bidder.

CPFC is not a great move for him stylistically. Roy doesn’t play football, they bypass midfield, and will probably mis-profile him as a 10, as he’s ’good on the ball’.

Think his dad and agent have Mis advised him if he ends up there 

Unfortunately we have bills to pay thanks to our illustrious owners.

However it's dressed up, that is the reason why it is being rushed through in this window.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

You'd imagine if the Indian courts blocked the money then the Venkys would have to sell the club.

You would think so and I truly believe this will now be critical for the future of the club.

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

£2.3m? 

Wharton money incoming, Gallagher off too I assume.

Gallagher seems likely. Wharton not necessarily.

There's also the Raya money. And technically there should have been this famous 'war chest'. 

5 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

If the Palace thing is right, as has been said on here, it’s a club signing, not the manager. The youth setup at Palace is famously solid and you only have to look at the trust they have in (relative) youth to see there’s a pathway for him. I think an opportunity to play in the Premier League and show what you can do, he either learns a lot and develops or quickly gets picked up by a team higher up the food chain.

We’ve been lucky in the past to have players like Dunny come through and stay (apart from a brief sojourn to the midlands) with us for the bulk of their careers, so this stings, but I think as JDT said last night, we should be proud of/hopeful for him that he has a good, long career and maybe comes home for the last little bit.

It is certainly gut wrenching, but we are in no state to retain such talent any longer.

I firmly believe he belongs on the big stage and we have to face facts, we are not going to be there any time soon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rovers11 said:

Very happy with the McGuire signing. Young, good potential, and a US international. Have a feeling he'll do well here.

Blow that Nat Phillips has chosen Cardiff though. He would have been good here. 

Maybe we've pulled out of Phillips to look at getting someone permanent? Hopefully.

6 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

We've dodged a bullet there, I've mentioned before that I follow Celtic (family) so watch most the games. Phillip's has been a disaster for Celtic, up there with the debacle that was Shane Duffy. His final game against Killie was as bad as I've seen and he had a proper stinker against Hibees. 

• Like 2