BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

There are some penalties in there though at Blackpool. Take them out and their goal records arent too dissimilar. And I know penalties are still goals but its not a fair comparison unless you take them out.

Yates id still have down as being a more natural goalscorer but Gallagher is more suited to being a lone striker and offers more in general play. I dont think theres much in it.

A bit extra is what counts sometimes. As we saw with last seasons league table.

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes, I'm sure he's bring in another 4 or 5 Hirst's Ennis's or Telalovic's or Wahlstedts and life will be rosy.

Maybe if a chunk of the money was spent bringing in a proper DOF we'd stand a slightly better chance.

Gregg oversees recruitment processes. He doesn’t scout the players that’s what the recruitment analysts do.

Clown. 👍

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

Ok did Coventry not sell Gyokeres? Boro not sell Spence? Birmingham not sell Bellingham? etc...

Even the clubs that come down lose the top players, but I guess they all have no aspirations of promotion eh

None have those Clubs have thrived since those sales though have they?

They've gone into reverse which will no doubt happen to us as well albeit we haven't much further to drop.

Let's not dress this up as a good thing, it's a sale borne out of economic necessity nothing else. We'll bring a bit of dross in and decline still further.

• Like 3

We need experienced players, so I can’t complain if we sign Liam Cooper.

It’s if Venkys will let us sign a 32 year old, on a contract longer than one year. Venkys wouldn’t let us sign Batth for similar reasons.

I presume it will only be a loan deal.

5 minutes ago, Realistic Rover said:

Gregg oversees recruitment processes. He doesn’t scout the players that’s what the recruitment analysts do.

Clown. 👍

He most certainly is.

He is DOF therefore he is ultimately responsible for everything that happens on the football side.

Edit: "Gregg" LOL.

You're a Club employee I take it.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Pleased for Wharton, it was only a few months ago that it was suggested on here he shouldn't be playing as he stays up too late playing mario kart.

£22m would be hard to turn down, the reality is, we would have taken that pre-Venkys, and regardless of the league we're in (see Duff, Santa Cruz, Jones, Shearer even...everyone has a price). The main thing for me is that this needs a minimum 20% sell on clause otherwise it should have been a non-starter. Palace is clearly the stepping stone.

We now have £30m in the bank from Wharton, Raya sell-on and likely Gallagher, as well as high wages saved on Gallagher and Travis. It's now or never if Venkys really want to back the best manager they've had since taking over. Feels like we're suddenly on the board for the #1 pick in the NFL with a huge cap space. Golden chance for a re-build

EDIT: lets also hope he relegates Burnley this year.

Edited by superniko
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

They've gone into reverse which will no doubt happen to us as well albeit we haven't much further to drop.

Let's not dress this up as a good thing, it's a sale borne out of economic necessity nothing else. We'll bring a bit of dross in and decline still further.

Coventry finished sixth last season, same position as they're in now. Both they and Boro had terrible starts to the season last season and this one. Timing is key to everything. Coventry knew Gyokeres was leaving and had ample time to plan for that. We should also have a plan for how to spend the funds from the Wharton sale and if we don't see at least three new quality additions before the DL then it's a job not done well by GB and Swaggot.

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes, I'm sure he's bring in another 4 or 5 Hirst's Ennis's or Telalovic's or Wahlstedts and life will be rosy.

Maybe if a chunk of the money was spent bringing in a proper DOF we'd stand a slightly better chance.

Hurst just didn’t settle which happens sadly but has gone on to do well at Ipswich.

18 minutes ago, Tim Southampton Rover said:

Someone fire up the dusty fax machine, bring in a proof reader, and adjust the clocks backwards at Ewood by an hour to give us the best chance of bringing in a player before the deadline.

And that's just for British based players! I genuinely cannot see our tin pot administration being able to bring in a chap from the states with 50(ish?) hours of the window remaining.

I would imagine it's 18m + 4m guaranteed add ons + sell on fee. If so, that's too good to turn down for someone I see as a luxury player at this level. Losing someone like Sammie will be a far bigger blow when he goes to the prem in the summer. It's obviously much harder to replace 20+ goals than a silky midfielder.

Excited but also terrified to see how we spend the money. I am getting O'Brien flashbacks...

This is the model though that will give us a fighting chance of getting back to the prem. One of our own going to the prem for £20m+ should be celebrated all round. 

Edited by rovers11

2 minutes ago, Judge21 said:

Hurst just didn’t settle which happens sadly but has gone on to do well at Ipswich.

6 goals in 21 League One apps last season and 6 goals in 22 Championship apps this season.

He'd get slagged off here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

And that's just for British based players! I genuinely cannot see our tin pot administration being able to bring in a chap from the states with 50(ish?) hours of the window remaining.

Send the new team coach (bus) over for him!

When he sees that he won't be able to say no. Trouble is we'll miss the deadline. (Again)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, superniko said:

Pleased for Wharton, it was only a few months ago that it was suggested on here he shouldn't be playing as he stays up too late playing mario kart.

£22m would be hard to turn down, the reality is, we would have taken that pre-Venkys, and regardless of the league we're in (see Duff, Santa Cruz, Jones, Shearer even...everyone has a price). The main thing for me is that this needs a minimum 20% sell on clause otherwise it should have been a non-starter. Palace is clearly the stepping stone.

We now have £30m in the bank from Wharton, Raya sell-on and likely Gallagher, as well as high wages saved on Gallagher and Travis. It's now or never if Venkys really want to back the best manager they've had since taking over. Feels like we're suddenly on the board for the #1 pick in the NFL with a huge cap space. Golden chance for a re-build

I will not be holding my breath, that's for sure.

Interesting conundrums 

Provided we get any money to spend which isn't by any means confirmed, who becomes the midfielder if any to play the ball forward. 

Do we play Garret, Tronstad and move JRC - buy/loaning a left or right back? 

Do we keep the two man midfield and put money into a striker? Maybe 5 at the back and a centre half too? 

Do we keep the 3 and buy a fast winger? 

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

No Championship club thrives 😆 that's the point. They equally have not gone into reverse. They are stagnant, which is how the Premier League want it. Championship clubs all feed the middle to bottom of the Premier League with talent or game time for thier kids to develop while hoping to be the next chosen one who makes a breakthrough via a knockout shot in the play-offs.

1 minute ago, Torgeir said:

6 goals in 21 League One apps last season and 6 goals in 22 Championship apps this season.

He'd get slagged off here.

He was dire here, no-one can argue any differently. If he'd performed in even half decent fashion for us he wouldn't have been flagged off.

• Like 2

If 

17 minutes ago, Neal said:

Wounded. Another dark day in the shadow of incompetent Venky ownership. Watching our generational talent leave for a club like Crystal Palace. Being robbed of his and our dream, with his brother getting us back to the Prem. He doesn't want to go either, which makes it worse. 

I hate these f*ckers. 

If he really don't want to go to Palace he can reject their offer......dont buy that if he accepts to go there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If Football Manager is anything to go by, no they can't. 

The actual money changing hands can be done on the 'never never' (i.e. we'll pay you £25m, but it'll be £500k every 6 months until the amount is reached"), but the full value of the transfer goes on that current transfer window's books.

Chelsea et al won't be short of the cash to buy Wharton, but like Arsenal with the Raya loan (with a mandatory option to buy in the next transfer window) they simply might legally be hamstrung.

For the buying club the full value of the player becomes his book value in the accounts.

This book value is reduced annually over the course of the player’s contract - so a £10 million pound signing on a four year contract would reduce in book value by £2.5m a year.

Its this £2.5 million which contributes towards a club’s loss (or reduces their profits).